ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dream Gig  (Read 14509 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Dream Gig
« on: September 19, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »

In another post someone mentioned they would give up a career full of gigs for one night with Earl Scruggs.  That got me to thinking, who would I really like to mix.

Would your dream gig be with an all time great such as the Stones or Clapton.  Maybe a country superstar with a huge production? 

The more business minded I become one of the downfalls is being distanced from the very music that made me get back behind a stage or console.  Instead I am carefully tending over marriage ceremonies and family speeches, talking heads at corporate events, playback events and the like.  Nothing wrong with these engagements but I had a chance to do a festival the other day and the headliner was off the hook and that old feeling came back. 

I really tangled with this and I think the answer would be Bluesman Delbert McClinton with Bruce Katz on the B3. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John L Nobile

Re: Dream Gig
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »

In another post someone mentioned they would give up a career full of gigs for one night with Earl Scruggs.  That got me to thinking, who would I really like to mix.

Would your dream gig be with an all time great such as the Stones or Clapton.  Maybe a country superstar with a huge production? 

The more business minded I become one of the downfalls is being distanced from the very music that made me get back behind a stage or console.  Instead I am carefully tending over marriage ceremonies and family speeches, talking heads at corporate events, playback events and the like.  Nothing wrong with these engagements but I had a chance to do a festival the other day and the headliner was off the hook and that old feeling came back. 

I really tangled with this and I think the answer would be Bluesman Delbert McClinton with Bruce Katz on the B3.

In my dreams, I'm either mixing Ella Fitzgerald with the Count Basie Orchestra or the ELP Works tour with the orchestra. Depends on my mood.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 04:03:31 PM »

The Beatles, or the original Allman Brothers Band

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »

Mark Knopfler. 

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »

Del McCoury-( I have system teched but he had FOH)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:24:47 PM »

I have mixed a dream gig working with Broadway personality Colm Wilkinson.
The original Jean Valjean in Les Miserables and lead in Phantom of the Opera, as well as many, many other major shows.
He can sing Danny Boy like no other  and sings Bring Him Home in the original key, complete with goosebumps.
Listening to that talent and voice AND paid to do so....what more could I ask for?
I am very happy to have had 10 years with Colm and could not think of a better gig. :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 07:01:06 PM »

When I was in high school (you'll know when if you read this) perhaps my favorite band was "Three Dog Nite".  This was their earlier stuff and not all the "pop" stuff they did later, but they were a top selling band in that era.  Flash forward (or backward) to the mid eighties and they had reformed for a tour with all of the original singers and all but one original band member.  I got called for a two day gig with them at the Holidome in Cheyenne.  I had the system set up when they arrived.  They loaded in, and my crew was micing up the drums as I waited at FOH for their engineer.  I had already rung out the system and had the vocal mics open.  One vocalist checked the mic and announced "by the way, we don't have an engineer, would you mind mixing us"?

There are other artists that I would give almost anything to mix now, but at that time . . . !

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 07:10:49 PM »

In another post someone mentioned they would give up a career full of gigs for one night with Earl Scruggs. 

What exactly do you mean by "one night with Earl Scruggs"? :o

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »

When I was in high school (you'll know when if you read this) perhaps my favorite band was "Three Dog Nite".  This was their earlier stuff and not all the "pop" stuff they did later, but they were a top selling band in that era.  Flash forward (or backward) to the mid eighties and they had reformed for a tour with all of the original singers and all but one original band member.  I got called for a two day gig with them at the Holidome in Cheyenne.  I had the system set up when they arrived.  They loaded in, and my crew was micing up the drums as I waited at FOH for their engineer.  I had already rung out the system and had the vocal mics open.  One vocalist checked the mic and announced "by the way, we don't have an engineer, would you mind mixing us"?

There are other artists that I would give almost anything to mix now, but at that time . . . !

That's a great story....Was Chuck still with them at that time? 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »

All my dream gigs have been unplugged.  Just good acoustic music in a nice room.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.