ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser G2 Wireless  (Read 2454 times)

Aaron Maurer

Sennheiser G2 Wireless
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:12:11 PM »

Have a Sennheiser e835 G2 (600 MHz I know they are going to be non compliant) that has been having some issues.  Did some research on the topics here and I realize a lot is in play with any wireless and the problem could be impossible to fix/find but wanted to see if anyone has advice or solution.

Mic spikes without notice 12k for about a second and goes away. It did this at a show I used it in a fire hall and felt maybe the radios and two cell towers outside may have something to do with it?  So I brought it to another show and turned it on the entire show not being used just sitting at FOH and didn't make a peep. Ok let's try it somewhere else. Was in a school auditorium and no issues for an hour prior to sound check. Artist shows up to sound check everything good. First song into the set and get slammed for a second with the 12k bug. It happened about 4 times in 45 min. One thing I noticed it would not do it while they were not pushing the mic real hard or talking.  We did notice that we were picking up some static as well through the mic but the two were separate incidents. Now I don't have much work for a wireless but is requested from time to time. Renting is an option but am kinda out in the woods and would be all but 2.5 hours blown driving to retrieve and return. Don't mind getting an updated mic but some of the past threads on this topic state "no wireless is fool proof". Any suggestions on a potential fix to my issue or a "new" replacement suggestion?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Sennheiser G2 Wireless
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 09:25:20 PM »

Have a Sennheiser e835 G2 (600 MHz I know they are going to be non compliant) that has been having some issues.  Did some research on the topics here and I realize a lot is in play with any wireless and the problem could be impossible to fix/find but wanted to see if anyone has advice or solution.

Mic spikes without notice 12k for about a second and goes away. It did this at a show I used it in a fire hall and felt maybe the radios and two cell towers outside may have something to do with it?  So I brought it to another show and turned it on the entire show not being used just sitting at FOH and didn't make a peep. Ok let's try it somewhere else. Was in a school auditorium and no issues for an hour prior to sound check. Artist shows up to sound check everything good. First song into the set and get slammed for a second with the 12k bug. It happened about 4 times in 45 min. One thing I noticed it would not do it while they were not pushing the mic real hard or talking.  We did notice that we were picking up some static as well through the mic but the two were separate incidents. Now I don't have much work for a wireless but is requested from time to time. Renting is an option but am kinda out in the woods and would be all but 2.5 hours blown driving to retrieve and return. Don't mind getting an updated mic but some of the past threads on this topic state "no wireless is fool proof". Any suggestions on a potential fix to my issue or a "new" replacement suggestion?

Can't say enough good about Shure QLX-D wireless, we are really happy with it.

As far as your issue that sounds like an issue with the notch filter in the pilot tone circuit on the receiver.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 10:47:27 PM »

I hear you found a good dealer to buy it from. ;-)

But really.... yes, QLX-D is a great step up. There's a $250/ch mail in rebate right now (through next April) for 600MHz systems, regardless of manufacture.

Can the rental shop 2.5 hours away just pop into UPS? That would be cheaper, I would hope!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:56:39 PM »

I hear you found a good dealer to buy it from. ;-)

But really.... yes, QLX-D is a great step up. There's a $250/ch mail in rebate right now (through next April) for 600MHz systems, regardless of manufacture.

Can the rental shop 2.5 hours away just pop into UPS? That would be cheaper, I would hope!

-Ray

LoL, yes Ray is a Shure dealer and takes awesome care of his customers (including me).

What do you mean about the rental and UPS? 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:46:50 PM »

LoL, yes Ray is a Shure dealer and takes awesome care of his customers (including me).

What do you mean about the rental and UPS?
If the rental place can ship him rental wireless system(s), that would possibly be cheaper than him driving 2-1/2 hours to pickup and then return a rental!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 02:10:20 AM »

Any suggestions on a potential fix to my issue or a "new" replacement suggestion?

I assume that you have tried different frequencies to avoid whatever may be causing interference? Have you tried changing the squelch setting? Sometimes going one notch higher on that setting can eliminate the noisy spikes. The downside is that it reduces the  range of your system.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:27:56 AM »

Also did you try just turning on the receiver with the transmitter off and see if you are taking any hits in the different locations.  This would help narrow down what it might be.

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 07:45:11 PM »

I did change the frequency and did not help.  Will try the other recommendations and report back.  Thanks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 07:45:11 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 25 queries.