ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: dbx 131 eq any thoughts or suggestions  (Read 5943 times)

joseph baio

dbx 131 eq any thoughts or suggestions
« on: September 18, 2017, 08:16:36 PM »

Hi and thanks again for all your help!
  I need an eq single channel x 31 band eq for each rack and am looking for one that is high quality is this dbx 131 ok or some used white 4400's  or other suggestion's?   thanks, joey

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: dbx 131 eq any thoughts or suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 08:51:16 PM »

Joesph,
Is there any reason why a good parametric wouldn't be a better fit? 31band EQs are really yesterday's news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:52:34 PM »

dbx makes a great EQ. I also have a number of them sitting on a shelf, not used since I went digital. Send me a PM if interested.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 08:53:11 PM »

Joesph,
Is there any reason why a good parametric wouldn't be a better fit? 31band EQs are really yesterday's news.

Why?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 08:54:55 PM »

I need an eq single channel x 31 band eq for each rack and am looking for one that is high quality is this dbx 131 ok or some used white 4400's  or other suggestion's?   thanks, joey

The 4400 isn't a single space unit.  If you're absolutely painted into a 1u corner, there really aren't many (analog) options better than the dbx 131s.

For what are you using these eq's?  How high is "high quality"?

As for mono 1/3rd octave EQ's, Klark Teknik DN300's are nice, but they're 2u high.  The same applies for the dbx 2031 and the Ashly GQX3101.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:55:14 PM »

I haven't used a 31band EQ analog or digital in 5 years. 1/3 octave filters rarely fit my needs when commissioning or teching.

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »

I'll tell you what a 31-band EQ is good for.  Ear training.  Use it to learn about what happens when you adjust something.  You should actually hear a difference.  If you can't detect a difference with a change of ANY of the 31 bands, then your source material needs to change.  Manipulating pink noise and sine test tones (at low levels, of course) will train your ears to spot things that are 'out of whack'.  That is a technical term.

In the now world of available decent quality speakers in general, and decent quality powered speakers specifically, a 31-band EQ is really of no use. 

-Dennis
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:19:15 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 12:36:18 AM »

I'll tell you what a 31-band EQ is good for.  Ear training.  Use it to learn about what happens when you adjust something.  You should actually hear a difference.  If you can't detect a difference with a change of ANY of the 31 bands, then your source material needs to change.  Manipulating pink noise and sine test tones (at low levels, of course) will train your ears to spot things that are 'out of whack'.  That is a technical term.

In the now world of available decent quality speakers in general, and decent quality powered speakers specifically, a 31-band EQ is really of no use. 

-Dennis

Yeah that's why the Rivage has one per channel (choice of two graphics actually).  It's a tool like anything.  Some use it to draw smiley faces others to create sonic masterpieces.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

joseph baio

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 11:30:41 AM »

Yeah that's why the Rivage has one per channel (choice of two graphics actually).  It's a tool like anything.  Some use it to draw smiley faces others to create sonic masterpieces.
Thanks again for all your ideas! My main use for the eq would be to ring out each room I use the system in and only for cut. I have all speaker filters set in the crown amps to make the speakers flat it's just venues emphasize some frequencies so useing an RTA / FFT I'd like to flatten the room without going crazy using too much treatment hanging from lighting truss.
I would like to keep all units in signal chain the best quality I can get as I paid a lot of attention to the rest of the system including the source of actual vinyl barring any snake oil cables or correction processors.  Thanks joey

joseph baio

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 02:21:11 PM »

Joesph,

David, I haven't seen an offering except for these fancy 3 or 4 band  but I am open to one with 6 or 7 bands with frequency ,Q , and level if available   Joey

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 02:21:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.