ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: First bigger show with new mixer and subs  (Read 3798 times)

Kevin Bayersdorfer

First bigger show with new mixer and subs
« on: September 18, 2017, 10:35:06 AM »

So I have been upgrading lately. Got an X32 rack (upgrade from XR18) and 2 SD8 snakes, last week I purchased 2 SRX818SP's. This past weekend was a festival I have done for the last 6 years. 5 bands per day, with  acoustic/vocal acts on the side during change overs.  One sd up front, one as drum snake, and one analog on the back line. It was so nice to just be able to plug something in anywhere then go to the laptop and select the line I needed for that channel. My speaker set up is 2 DSR112, 2 SRX818SP, and 4 K10's for monitors.

I got so many compliments on the sound and how big it sounded, and every band said to me "you have no idea how good it is to be able to hear yourself".  I am very happy with the rig, and how the DSR and SRX I though kept up with each other perfectly.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:35:58 PM by Kevin Bayersdorfer »

Jay Marr

Re: First bigger show with new mixer and subs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »

So I have been upgrading lately. Got an X32 rack (upgrade from XR18) and 2 SD8 snakes, last week I purchased 2 SRX818SP's. This past weekend was a festival I have done for the last 6 years. 5 bands per day, with  acoustic/vocal acts on the side during change overs.  One sd up front, one as drum snake, and one analog on the back line. It was so nice to just be able to plug something in anywhere then go to the laptop and select the line I needed for that channel. My speaker set up is 2 DSR112, 2 SRX818SP, and 4 K10's for monitors.

I got so many compliments on the sound and how big it sounded, and every band said to me "you have no idea how good it is to be able to hear yourself".  I am very happy with the rig now the DSR and SRX I though kept up with each other perfectly.

Nice set up.
I gigged last week with a set of DSRs and a single JBL SRX728.  It loved the sound that night.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »

Glad it worked to your expectations and that your bands and clients noticed the improvement. :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 11:48:46 AM »

I find the combination of DSR and SRX to work very well also. You made good choices IMHO.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 02:22:13 PM »

I got so many compliments on the sound and how big it sounded, and every band said to me "you have no idea how good it is to be able to hear yourself".  I am very happy with the rig, and how the DSR and SRX I though kept up with each other perfectly.

I take it that the festival was outdoors? How large of an area and how loud did things get? Were they rock bands?

Just wondering if the subs were close to their max in that situation.

(I'll be upgrading subs soon as well. Just gathering more information for reference.)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:24:15 PM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »

Great rig.

I have often felt that a single DSR112 could hang with a pair of single 18" subs (or something like an SRX 828sp).  I use a PRX618S-XLF and will always hit the limit lights on the subs far before hitting them on the DSR112's. 

That might just be how I balance the system though.  YMMV.

I bet it sounded incredible.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 08:10:13 PM »

What were your thoughts on the mixer upgrade?

Chris Edwards

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 08:20:33 PM »

How do you have this system wired up?  Are you jumping from subs to tops or aux feeding the subs?  Thanks in advance for the info.

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 09:28:10 PM »

Great report! I use those subs as well for my outdoor shows (over SRX tops), and the DSR's make for killer monitors. I frequently get those same comments from the performers, and it is a reflection on your ability to use this very nice gear. I'm guessing I would enjoy your mix - nice work.

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 09:29:51 PM »

I take it that the festival was outdoors? How large of an area and how loud did things get? Were they rock bands?

Just wondering if the subs were close to their max in that situation.

(I'll be upgrading subs soon as well. Just gathering more information for reference.)

They were very close to max, but I set the limiters in Audio Architect and adjusted the limiters to about a -12 thres, was at 5 on the output level, was driving them hard on the input close to clip and yes outdoors. They were blues, and rock and rockabilly bands.

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 09:32:42 PM »

Great rig.

I have often felt that a single DSR112 could hang with a pair of single 18" subs (or something like an SRX 828sp).  I use a PRX618S-XLF and will always hit the limit lights on the subs far before hitting them on the DSR112's. 

That might just be how I balance the system though.  YMMV.

I bet it sounded incredible.

Yep same experience here when I pushed it the subs hit clip before the mains and still sounded balanced. Little example of my mix http://www.baystallations.com/DylanDoyle/ddbdontyouleaveme.mp3

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »

What were your thoughts on the mixer upgrade?
Absolutely love everything about it, this was my 4th show using it, first multi band multi day though.

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 09:36:10 PM »

How do you have this system wired up?  Are you jumping from subs to tops or aux feeding the subs?  Thanks in advance for the info.

Aux fed off the M/C buss, the LR out and the M/C out have crossover filters on them that are quite nice.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:12:26 PM by Kevin Bayersdorfer »

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »

Great report! I use those subs as well for my outdoor shows (over SRX tops), and the DSR's make for killer monitors. I frequently get those same comments from the performers, and it is a reflection on your ability to use this very nice gear. I'm guessing I would enjoy your mix - nice work.
Here is one mix http://www.baystallations.com/DylanDoyle/ddbdontyouleaveme.mp3
and another http://www.baystallations.com/GNO/bbqgnopride.mp3
This one I screwed the pooch a bit cause the guy brought his own mic and didn't get a chance to ring out his monitor, I got the feedback killed after a while though. Pat O'Shea toured with Levon Helm for 6 years, pleasure doing sound for him. http://www.baystallations.com/patoshea/bbqpostringingmeon.mp3

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.