ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PA system for small metal/hardcore DIY space  (Read 6035 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: PA system for small metal/hardcore DIY space
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 01:31:27 AM »

The good thing about the Alto's in a tight space is that the angle is really steep.  Meaning someone standing nearly on top of it gets the best sound.  I've used mine in a small bar with a loud band and I couldn't hear a pair of EV ZLX sitting right next to one Alto.

Vocals or midrange instruments only though.  No bass.  Which you don't want to muddy up such a small stage and room with anyway.  There will be enough all over the place.  If on a tight budget, they're probably the best bet.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 02:13:31 AM »

The good thing about the Alto's in a tight space is that the angle is really steep.  Meaning someone standing nearly on top of it gets the best sound.  I've used mine in a small bar with a loud band and I couldn't hear a pair of EV ZLX sitting right next to one Alto.

Vocals or midrange instruments only though.  No bass.  Which you don't want to muddy up such a small stage and room with anyway.  There will be enough all over the place.  If on a tight budget, they're probably the best bet.

I have a bunch of the little Alto's.  They work great for many applications, however they are not loud enough to get over a drummer 2' behind them or a 6 piece horn section! 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 02:58:39 AM »

Thanks, Scott. I'm located in South Point, OH. The very southern tip of Ohio on the Kentucky and WV border.  I have definitely been scanning the local market and seeing a LOT of non-powered stuff. That's okay because I'd pull the trigger on that too, but the stuff seems really old and I can't make heads or tails of the quality. For example, these JBL subs: https://huntington.craigslist.org/msg/d/jbl-sr-2x15-trap-subs/6297125366.html. I came close to buying those last week, but I'm well aware there is a lot of worthless JBL stuff out there and I couldn't figure out which end of the spectrum these end up on. Same with other old used items, the specs aren't all widely available and without the speakers on review type sites it's hard for me to research.

Well hello there, fellow Tri-Stateian (Catlettsburg here) As far as that stuff on Craiglist, I know the guy that's selling his gear.. I'll talk to him and see if we can put you together a system, but don't count on it, trust me.

For metal in that small of a space, you would probably be better off just doing something strong for vocals, let the amps and drums run free.. maybe throw a little kick in if anything.  Personally I like having more than enough.. if your budget is there, then I definitely would go with the JBL SRX800's for mains, and maybe the PRX800 for wedges (the SRX812P takes up too much space as a floor monitor IMHO)

My buddy owns a set of SRX815's and a bunch of SRX828's, so if you're interested we could set up a demo sometime when the stars align.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 05:02:00 AM »

I want to throw the RCF HD32 mk4 in the mix. Nice big driver, plenty of loud, very little feedback. not expensive. They outrun my 8004 subs (1 a side). Never had one clip. I'm starting to wonder if the clip-leds aren't broken...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 05:02:00 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.