ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange sound during music track loading  (Read 2011 times)

David Allred

Strange sound during music track loading
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »

I have several Gemini CDMP1500 CD & USB players.  Great for when you don't even need a mixer.  Anyway, one is malfunctioning.  When using the USB, as tracks are being accessed or as the next track is selected, there is a strange sound (from the speakers).  Is sounds like I would expect interference from a "noisy" motor in a hard drive or similar.
bzzz whrr bzzz bzzz  grr gzz bzz whrr and then when ready to play, silence. 
What could cause this?  There is an LED screen, if it matters.
The CD player on this unit does not work?  Coincidence? Common cause?
The noise is dependent on output level and does not happen while paused.  I have not tried playing a silent track to see if the noise is just covered up.  Relative to track content it is very low level.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:25:05 AM by David Allred »

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: Strange sound during music track loading
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 12:44:16 PM »

I have several Gemini CDMP1500 CD & USB players.  Great for when you don't even need a mixer.  Anyway, one is malfunctioning.  When using the USB, as tracks are being accessed or as the next track is selected, there is a strange sound (from the speakers).  Is sounds like I would expect interference from a "noisy" motor in a hard drive or similar.
bzzz whrr bzzz bzzz  grr gzz bzz whrr and then when ready to play, silence. 
What could cause this?  There is an LED screen, if it matters.
The CD player on this unit does not work?  Coincidence? Common cause?
The noise is dependent on output level and does not happen while paused.  I have not tried playing a silent track to see if the noise is just covered up.  Relative to track content it is very low level.

Any ideas?

You mentioned the CD player doesn't work.  But this sounds like the CD mechanism is moving - or at least trying to do so - when you're accessing the USB content.  Perhaps a wiring / switch failure (or beginning to fail) that connects the USB+CD functions.  Would suggest inserting a "blank" USB stick in and see what happens but I'm willing to bet the unit may be on it's last legs...

Bill
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »

You mentioned the CD player doesn't work.  But this sounds like the CD mechanism is moving - or at least trying to do so - when you're accessing the USB content.  Perhaps a wiring / switch failure (or beginning to fail) that connects the USB+CD functions.  Would suggest inserting a "blank" USB stick in and see what happens but I'm willing to bet the unit may be on it's last legs...

Bill

Only thing is that the unit doesn't make any internal sound like the CD doing anything.  No clicks or anything.  The noise does not happen when a CD loads and attempts to read.  The LED screen just reads disc error. 

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:14:33 PM »

Only thing is that the unit doesn't make any internal sound like the CD doing anything.  No clicks or anything.  The noise does not happen when a CD loads and attempts to read.  The LED screen just reads disc error.

Like some older (ancient) computers I remember being able to hear artifacts of the actual digital processes bleeding into the analog output. 
(Also sounded a bit like a way-quieter version of when you used to get cell-phone data transmit noise bleeding into the PA if you set it to close to the console.)
That may be what's happening with your CD player.  Could be a failed component such as a bad capacitor -or a grounding issue.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Stelios Mac

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 04:49:27 AM »

Could be EMI noise like Craig is describing. My current PC does it on the onboard audio card or if I use a power supply with my interface - So probably a grounding issue that I can't figure out.
No idea how to fix it though...
Maybe try unplugging the audio output from the unit just to make sure the issue occurs within the device and that it's not EMI that's bleeding into other nearby equipment and go from there.

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »

Could be EMI noise like Craig is describing. My current PC does it on the onboard audio card or if I use a power supply with my interface - So probably a grounding issue that I can't figure out.
No idea how to fix it though...
Maybe try unplugging the audio output from the unit just to make sure the issue occurs within the device and that it's not EMI that's bleeding into other nearby equipment and go from there.

It was connected directly to a powered speaker, and no other equipment on or connected.  ACTUALLY NO OTHER EQUIPMENT, PERIOD.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.