ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spacing of Speaker Stacks  (Read 1821 times)

John Roll

Spacing of Speaker Stacks
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »

I have a benefit this weekend where I am probably going to be able to center cluster my subs. In the event that I can't, and this is something I never gave any thought to..distance between speaker stacks. The stage is ~20-25' wide. My stacks would go on the outside edges of the stage. However, should I be paying attention to how far apart they are. In other words, in terms of reinforcement/cancellation of bass frequencies, is there a critical distance or rule of thumb I should be aware of when setting their final placement? I will be running either center cluster (4 QSC HPR 181s or two stacks of two of the same per side)

John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Spacing of Speaker Stacks
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 11:54:09 AM »

I have a benefit this weekend where I am probably going to be able to center cluster my subs. In the event that I can't, and this is something I never gave any thought to..distance between speaker stacks. The stage is ~20-25' wide. My stacks would go on the outside edges of the stage. However, should I be paying attention to how far apart they are. In other words, in terms of reinforcement/cancellation of bass frequencies, is there a critical distance or rule of thumb I should be aware of when setting their final placement? I will be running either center cluster (4 QSC HPR 181s or two stacks of two of the same per side)

John
As you change the spacing, the freq of cancellations will change, along with the position that you are interested in,

As a "general rule", you should keep the subs together or far apart.  Far apart means 40' or more, but that varies, based on other conditions, such as position of walls etc.

There is no "simple answer".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 11:57:52 AM »

Run each side  in cardioid if your really worried about the cancellations, will help quite a lot with coverage but you might lose some power.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 02:06:06 PM »

80 hz is around 14 feet  so multiples of 7, yes each frequency is different along with each room.  The acoustics of the room will dictate how well the sound is.  If outside and not near walls or boundaries you will find that 14 and 21 will have some nulls and peaks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 02:06:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.