ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Social Media  (Read 654 times)

Craig Leerman

• Spanning the Globe as a
  • Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Social Media
« on: September 12, 2017, 04:02:52 pm »

Hi all,

My company Tech Works has started doing more local festivals and charity events since moving to Reno. We have started to get active in social media so we got a Facebook company page, post on Pinterest, are getting Instagram set up, etc in addition to our website.

I see some manufacturers do a great job on Facebook, posting about new products, sales or the latest stadium installs but I was wondering what are some of the approaches that productions guys are using. I have questions like how often do you post to social media and do updates? Marketing strategies for social media? Any tips or tricks regarding different social media sites.

What are you folks doing?

Here is what we have so far

Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Any thoughts or help will be much appreciated!

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com

dick rees

• Duluth
Re: Social Media
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 05:20:32 pm »

I find it odd that "social media" pretty much precludes actual physical proximity/contact...

There's a whole generation out there that can't look you in the eye.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:37:23 pm »

My day job is at a University.
When walking through the campus library I see 20 kids sitting in a couch/lounge area.
Not one single student is talking to another student next to them.   They are all looking at their phones and typing on them.
Im like...wtf?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:34:02 pm »

I find it odd that "social media" pretty much precludes actual physical proximity/contact...

There's a whole generation out there that can't look you in the eye.
What?

*looks at phone*

Where's the hash tag on this thing?
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Gentry

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:55:31 pm »

Hi all,

My company Tech Works has started doing more local festivals and charity events since moving to Reno. We have started to get active in social media so we got a Facebook company page, post on Pinterest, are getting Instagram set up, etc in addition to our website.

I see some manufacturers do a great job on Facebook, posting about new products, sales or the latest stadium installs but I was wondering what are some of the approaches that productions guys are using. I have questions like how often do you post to social media and do updates? Marketing strategies for social media? Any tips or tricks regarding different social media sites.

Craig

Social media is another form of marketing, so if you do it I'd make sure it's done right, it will be a representation of YOUR company. Yes the younger generation is buried in their electronic devices, including my kids. Don't personally enjoy seeing it, especially when I have to hire said younger person and teach them that their phone wasn't included in the interview, job description, etc.

Include the obvious, what you do, why someone should hire you, what experience you bring to the table, etc. Also , you're going to have to work the reviews portion of Facebook if you want it to be more effective. When you're finished with a client and everyone is feeling good. It's to your benefit to kindly ask if they felt taken care of if they would give you a positive review on Facebook or google. It might feel awkward, but reviews carry more weight than your words with some people.

Hope that helps,

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:38:37 pm »

Hashtags....  people search by hashtags, so you should make sure any posts you make at events mention the promoter/event and also use their hashtags.  That way people who search for event related tags will see your posts. 

Really your goal should be that anyone at the festival - who is having a good time - knows your doing the production and can do theirs too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 12:30:03 am »

Hi all,

Craig

I have been in many tech businesses in my almost 4 decades in business, I have never seen one more relational than production. 

If someone has grown their business organically via social media I can't wait to hear the story. 

It seems to me we use social media to network among ourselves. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 07:58:01 am »

I enjoy the term "Social Media" - it's an oxymoron.

CBS (Sunday Morning show) had a good piece on this issue:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hooked-on-phones/

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 02:21:00 pm »

Hi all,

Craig

I would consider it just like a company website -but with much less work.  Just make sure anyone who views it can see all the relevant info for contacting and dealing with your company, where you are located and areas you serve (It's still amazing to me how many actual websites make that so difficult to find!)
I would update it as often as you can with new gear you've added or new services you offer as well as frequent "beauty shots" of your gigs.  I would shy away from actually posting any scheduling -like bands do for tour dates -lest someone think your booked-up and not available.
Adding in more pictures of the actual crew and people that customers may end up interacting with is good to break-up the string of gear shots - (and don't forget to add yourself in there too)

Your Facebook page looks better than many I've seen for businesses and looks to be off to a good start. 
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 05:47:36 pm »

Hi all,

. . . I was wondering what are some of the approaches that productions guys are using. I have questions like how often do you post to social media and do updates? Marketing strategies for social media? Any tips or tricks regarding different social media sites. . .

Craig

1) Always get photos of your work, lots of them. Get photos of people having a good time at shows you do. People love photos. I have slipped up on this to the point where I am now having a dedicated person to get some great photos. Everything is visual, these days. Get the photos up on your page promptly to show folks what you're up to. It helps keep you in people's minds.

2) I have a retail side. The best response I've gotten was from taking a video of a client I sold a mic to, raving about how great the mic was. It was a smaller manufacturer and I sent the video out to my rep and posted on my FB page and tagged the manufacturer. Apparently my name is gold around the office, now. They have sent more business referrals my way.  I shot the video on my iPhone and didn't even have to edit it. Total win-win for very small effort on my part.

3) I've posted up stories about great customer service from the manufacturers and reps that I work with, and tag the companies in the post. This has provided a ton of goodwill for my otherwise small business.

4) Help your clients promote their business and events on your page. Social media is huge in event promotion. The more you post about an upcoming event, the more traffic it gets and promoters/producers love this.

5) Having regular updates make it look like you're actually in business and working, even if you aren't so much. I've gotten mileage from making short posts about things that frustrate us all. . .lack of band contact info, tech rider, etc. . .posts about new gear. . .posts about how nice the weather is and maybe you should rent something from us for your next event. . .

6) I have a new web site being deployed and can post about new content on the site. This drives traffic to your web site where people can see what you have to offer.

That's what comes to mind, right now. I don't think that the social media stuff directly drives business, but it's exposure and makes your company look lively and relevant. It also builds goodwill with your suppliers.
Bad Quail
Professional Audio
Joshua Tree, California

James Feenstra

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 06:14:37 pm »

people always laugh when I tell them that I do a considerable amount of business through facebook

realistically, over 3/4 of my straight equipment rental clients contact me on social media before any other means of communication....
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 18 queries.