ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct Dante connect QL1 to QL5?  (Read 2353 times)

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
Direct Dante connect QL1 to QL5?
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »

Is it possible to directly connect (via a 1Gb switch) a QL5 to a QL1, so that the QL5's input channels are available to the QL1 via Dante? The use case is one desk at FOH and the other for mons.  Which desk would be the master for Dante and the word clock? The Yamaha cascade capability is I believe just a shared bus process.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:07:23 AM by Kirby Yarbrough »

Mark Rombouts

Re: Direct Dante connect QL1 to QL5?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »

This is possible. I think you have to make some routing assignments. Either one of the consoles can be the clock master, but there can only be one master in the Dante network.

More info should be available in de Yamaha manuals.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDRiaf4GnoE

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:58:57 PM by Mark Rombouts »

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:58:55 PM »

Yes, any Dante inputs and outputs on the network will show up everywhere. You can patch your FOH outputs to the jacks on the monitor desk and send signal to the main PA. I usually pick the FOH desk as the master but it does not matter.

Also it does not matter if the desks are the same brand. One of my company's favorite setups is using a Mackie DL32R with Dante card as a stage box for Soundcraft Si consoles, and we have also pressed it into service as a monitor console as well.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 10:37:16 PM »

Is it possible to directly connect (via a 1Gb switch) a QL5 to a QL1, so that the QL5's input channels are available to the QL1 via Dante? The use case is one desk at FOH and the other for mons.  Which desk would be the master for Dante and the word clock? The Yamaha cascade capability is I believe just a shared bus process.

Definitely.  Cool trick with the QL5 omni inputs, the head amps can be adjusted by the second console, as if it was a RIO box.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/LDRiaf4GnoE?autoplay=1&rel=0&TB_iframe&height=468&width=750

TomBoisseau

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:56:40 PM »

I have a regular corporate client that I do a meeting of about 200 people in conjunction with a webcast.  We do a set up that is very similar to what you are talking about.  We feed most of the inputs into the QL5 and then send them over to the QL1 via Dante with a direct connection between the two (no switch necessary).  The QL5 is used for the PA feed and the QL1 is used to feed the webcast.  A few of the inputs however originate at the QL1.  This is because the webcasting “station” is located nearer to the QL1 and it is simply more convenient for cabling.

It doesn’t seem to matter who is the master clock, you just need to make sure it’s set up appropriately.  I failed to do that on one occasion and was noticing some very soft clicking sounds during the event.  Fortunately, it was minor and the client didn’t notice.

There’s a quick tutorial form Yamaha on how to do this.  Of course, it tells “how to” in the most basic form, but it’s a good start.  Check out these links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDRiaf4GnoE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mkNEkyyGEY

Tom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:56:40 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.