ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the name of this connector?  (Read 4062 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
What's the name of this connector?
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:30:11 PM »

I see this connector used often for scoreboard controllers in gyms.
Never knew what it's called.
Now somebody wants me to get them the matching panel mount connector.
What is this called?
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: What's the name of this connector?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:13:38 PM »

I see this connector used often for scoreboard controllers in gyms.
Never knew what it's called.
Now somebody wants me to get them the matching panel mount connector.
What is this called?

3 pin military cannon connector.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:25:59 AM »

Most of those are under Mil-C-38999.  Don't ask me how I know.

David Allred

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:30:41 AM »

Most of those are under Mil-C-38999.  Don't ask me how I know.

But, how DO you know?

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:34:02 PM »

But, how DO you know?
LOL.  Spent 12 years making head up displays for fighter jets.  There were a couple of people who's whole lives were dedicated to Mil circular connectors.  It's a minefield.  Besides the variations in size and pin count/size/layout, there are tons of variations in keying, clocking, flanges and backshells.  I think it was somebody's idea on how to keep GI's from plugging the wrong thing into the wrong place, but you could have 10 different connectors that all looked the same but none would mate.  Going into an electronics surplus store trying to find something to mate with something you've found is an exercise in frustration.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »

LOL.  Spent 12 years making head up displays for fighter jets.  There were a couple of people who's whole lives were dedicated to Mil circular connectors.  It's a minefield.  Besides the variations in size and pin count/size/layout, there are tons of variations in keying, clocking, flanges and backshells.  I think it was somebody's idea on how to keep GI's from plugging the wrong thing into the wrong place, but you could have 10 different connectors that all looked the same but none would mate.  Going into an electronics surplus store trying to find something to mate with something you've found is an exercise in frustration.

Yup, spent many years working with cannon plugs on military aircraft.  Having the plugs keyed is important when dealing with so many connectors, many of which had to be disengaged/engaged sight unseen because they are behind other equipment.  I worked on HUDs and HUD cameras in the F-16 for a short time.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 10:07:40 PM »

Yup, spent many years working with cannon plugs on military aircraft.  Having the plugs keyed is important when dealing with so many connectors, many of which had to be disengaged/engaged sight unseen because they are behind other equipment.  I worked on HUDs and HUD cameras in the F-16 for a short time.
What company?  I worked at Kaiser Electronics, we made the huds for everything except the F16.

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 11:01:15 PM »

You don't have to kill me now, do you?

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »

What company?  I worked at Kaiser Electronics, we made the huds for everything except the F16.

The company was the USAF.  ;)

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 04:23:34 PM »

You don't have to kill me now, do you?
I did make use of that line once.  We were working on a program that was grey.  It's existence was public but everything about it was classified.  Several of us were walking down a hallway with a supplier rep we knew well who had been giving us a presentation about a conformal coating technology he felt was the best way to meet the latest generation chemical warfare resistance requirements.  When he innocently asked "When's the first flight?"  A common milestone in military aviation development.  While the rest of the group gasped I said "We could tell you but we'd have to kill you".  A general chuckle and sigh, some knowing glances and we all kind of tacitly agreed that it was an innocent clueless conversational filler typical of a salesman.  And that there wouldn't be need for everyone to go to the security office, fill out a million forms, endure multiple FBI interrogations, and so on.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 04:23:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.