ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Stage Boxes  (Read 3262 times)

Scott Hofmann

Digital Stage Boxes
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:12:13 PM »

Would I be correct in assuming that digital stage boxes are not interchangeable between different manufacturers' consoles (e.g. Soundcraft and Behringer), and, perhaps not interchangeable between the product lines of the same manufacturer?
Scott Hofmann

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Digital Stage Boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:47:46 PM »

Yes, not.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 10:06:58 PM »

Would I be correct in assuming that digital stage boxes are not interchangeable between different manufacturers' consoles (e.g. Soundcraft and Behringer), and, perhaps not interchangeable between the product lines of the same manufacturer?

As the Syn-Aud-Con saying goes, "it depends".   At least between different product lines.  Some Yamaha boxes are compatible between product lines, as are some Behrigner-Midas stage boxes.   What specific stage boxes did you have in mind?
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:31:53 PM »

Don't think that the X32 family likes MADI as much as Soundcraft and the rest of the world, so that matchup would be out. Actually I don't think Behringer offers a MADI card for the X32.

All of the Soundcraft series Si through Vi can share the stage boxes without issue using MADI. for instance, FOH and monitor world could share the same stage box easily with each having independent control over monitor or FOH levels.

Generally though using the same manufacturers stage box will insure that any possible compatibility issues are eliminated from the get go.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:47:38 PM »

Co-Ax and Fibre MADI is available for the X/M series consoles via the X-MADI card.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_x_madi.htm

But of course that is for audio only, you won't get anything like head amp control with this expansion.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »

OK, thanks for the clarifications everyone.
Scott Hofmann

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »

OK, thanks for the clarifications everyone.

Also in some cases but not all, just because the audio signals are compatible does not mean the head amp control (gain and phantom) are compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Barber

• Eastern Washington State
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 02:06:16 PM »

Not really different manufacturers per se, but I'm running a Midas DL16 into an X32 with zero issues.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »

If the stage box and console are running Dante they are compatable no matter the brands. You can even eliminate the stage box when using 2 Dante connected consoles and just plug all inputs into the monitor desk and the FOH will have access to all inputs.

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »

If the stage box and console are running Dante they are compatable no matter the brands. You can even eliminate the stage box when using 2 Dante connected consoles and just plug all inputs into the monitor desk and the FOH will have access to all inputs.

Craig

This applies to audio flow, but not to any control signals. You cannot adjust preamp levels on a Yamaha Rio from a non-Yamaha console, or any other brand combination.

With the advent of AES67 in Dante you can now route audio between Dante, Ravenna, Livewire, or any IP based audio system that is AES67 compliant.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 12:30:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.