ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbosound IP2000 getting 'crackling' sound with keyboards  (Read 20795 times)

Jay Marr

Re: Turbosound IP2000 getting 'crackling' sound with keyboards
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »

As many are stating, you may want to cut your losses and go for a return.

RCV Evox sound damn good....more money, but 'cry once'.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »

No, it's not.

+1 I heard this system at my local dealer a couple weeks ago with bluetooth audio from a phone and my first thought was that it sounded brittle even at moderate volume. After reading this thread it appears there may be a design flaw or something in the default settings is way off. That may be fixable via a firmware update but that hinges on the manufacturer accepting that there is a problem and issuing an update... and that is assuming these things can have the onboard firmware(software) updated in the field or by a certified service center.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2017, 01:37:31 PM »

One more thing to try, and this is not from the manual.  Starting with the input level all the way down, turn the Master all the way up.  Then turn to input level to the point where you have the volume you need (if you can get the level you need).  Listen for the "crackling".

I suspect these loudspeakers were really designed as competitors for the Bose L1 series.  I'm not certain I would call either a "pro product" from an application standpoint, and I'm not trying to insult the products.  Bose certainly states in it's descriptions that their product is a personal monitor/performing system and indicates it is designed for use on small events.  I have heard L1's used as "main systems" and even for 100 people outdoors, they were woefully inadequate.  I think the IP2000 would outperform them in this situation, but not by a lot.  I have used the IP2000 for delayed reinforcement to a 40' x 80' beer tent several times, and in this situation they worked adequately.  This is just my opinion.

Jason Joseph

• Vibrant Soundz
    • VibrantSoundz.net
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »

Try different XLR cable. Maybe a grounding issue..

Wesley David

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2017, 05:05:08 AM »

One more thing to try, and this is not from the manual.  Starting with the input level all the way down, turn the Master all the way up.  Then turn to input level to the point where you have the volume you need (if you can get the level you need).  Listen for the "crackling".

I suspect these loudspeakers were really designed as competitors for the Bose L1 series.  I'm not certain I would call either a "pro product" from an application standpoint, and I'm not trying to insult the products.  Bose certainly states in it's descriptions that their product is a personal monitor/performing system and indicates it is designed for use on small events.  I have heard L1's used as "main systems" and even for 100 people outdoors, they were woefully inadequate.  I think the IP2000 would outperform them in this situation, but not by a lot.  I have used the IP2000 for delayed reinforcement to a 40' x 80' beer tent several times, and in this situation they worked adequately.  This is just my opinion.

Will definitely give this a shot! Much appreciated.

If I can't figure something out I will just have to accept lugging speakers around, ha. This entire foolish enterprise of mine was essentially laziness.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 09:50:45 AM »

Are you sure that it isn’t coming out of the keyboard distorted. That is why people are asking you to try listening (when it is distorting) to the mixer input channel with headphones. I had a church that was complaining about a keyboard distorting it took a while to figure it out but the internal gain stages of the key board was set in such a way that even with the keyboard output turned down it would distort. I also think it didn’t do it till a little bit of time had passed.

Is the only thing distorting the keyboard? What keyboard is it? You could try recording the keyboard and listen to make sure it isn’t distorting and then play the recording back and see if the speakers are distorting at that point. Or play the keyboard and when you start hearing the distortion switch to playing back some prerecorded music that you know very well that has something that is very clear. And crank it and see if you hear the distortion at that point. Be sure to switch immediately have it standing by on pause to hit it quickly.   

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »

Are you sure that it isn’t coming out of the keyboard distorted. That is why people are asking you to try listening (when it is distorting) to the mixer input channel with headphones. I had a church that was complaining about a keyboard distorting it took a while to figure it out but the internal gain stages of the key board was set in such a way that even with the keyboard output turned down it would distort. I also think it didn’t do it till a little bit of time had passed.

Kevin, I'm having the same problem with one of my church customers.  They think the distortion only comes from the monitors, but it is in the main system also.  Because of the more limited low frequency content coming from the monitors, and the fact that they have the monitors louder than the main system, they hear the distortion as worse in the monitors.  (Small church, loud praise band.)  I tried every trick I knew of to try to solve the gain structure issue, but it isn't gain structure in this case.  It's the keyboard!  This one is a Yamaha Motif.  Has this been a problem for anyone else?

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »

Kevin, I'm having the same problem with one of my church customers.  They think the distortion only comes from the monitors, but it is in the main system also.  Because of the more limited low frequency content coming from the monitors, and the fact that they have the monitors louder than the main system, they hear the distortion as worse in the monitors.  (Small church, loud praise band.)  I tried every trick I knew of to try to solve the gain structure issue, but it isn't gain structure in this case.  It's the keyboard!  This one is a Yamaha Motif.  Has this been a problem for anyone else?

I think the one I was referring to was a Motif also.

PaulTonks

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »

I had a similar issue when I was running Left and Right outputs from the desk into A & B inputs on the ip2000. It is my considered opinion that these units will only take a mono signal. I have had no issues since running one in mono - or if stereo is required (or more power) I run 2 ip2000s. I suspect the DSP trying to process 2 of the same signals into what can only be a mono speaker system if we think about it, is what was causing my issue and I strongly suspect your too. This seems counter intuitive to me and the manual is silent on the subject but I've had excellent results since using ONLY 1 input channel per ip2000.

Martin West

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2018, 04:35:38 PM »

I'm glad to have found this post as I have been having very similar issues with mine. My previous set-up was a pair of EV ZLX-12p with a Mackie Profx12 mixer. I'm a solo artist so my set-up is pretty minimal - acoustic or electric guitar, vocals, foot percussion. The EVs sounded great but I hated lugging them around. I found myself wanting something easier to carry around and set-up. After a bunch of research I chose the Turbosound IP2000 as an alternative to the ridiculously expensive Bose towers.

I got it set-up, played some music through Bluetooth and was excited to try some live sound. I plugged in my electric guitar with sans amp pedal into the mixer then into the IP2000 and it sounded like absolute sh!t...distorting, vibrating sound. I thought it was maybe just the pedal. I tried running a midi keyboard using Ableton through it and it still sounded like crap.

I thought maybe I got a bad one so I returned it and exchanged it for another. Took it to an open mic I host and tested it out there. Seemed to be doing the same thing. I had a spoken word artist get up and you could barely hear him through the crowd without clipping. The building is long but there was no more than 50 people in there.

I think I was fooling myself into thinking I could replace two speakers with one. I was still debating on whether to give it another try but it seems like they just aren't up to par.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2018, 04:35:38 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 26 queries.