ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbosound IP2000 getting 'crackling' sound with keyboards  (Read 20788 times)

Wesley David

Re: Turbosound IP2000 getting 'crackling' sound with keyboards
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 01:03:16 AM »

Plug some headphones into the mixer and see if you the hear the "crackling sound"  there. If you do it's not a speaker problem.

If the headphones sound clean my guess is that the inputs on the speaker are set to mic level and your over driving them , I think you need to get into the set up menu to change the input levels on those.

Unfortunately there is no such option on the unit. I'm guessing it's supposed to 'read' the input source automatically and make adjustments, i.e., the difference between a mic being directly plugged in, or a mixer via XLR. On their website and in the manual, it mentions multiple times being perfectly compatible with external mixers.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 07:31:07 AM »

Unfortunately there is no such option on the unit. I'm guessing it's supposed to 'read' the input source automatically and make adjustments, i.e., the difference between a mic being directly plugged in, or a mixer via XLR. On their website and in the manual, it mentions multiple times being perfectly compatible with external mixers.

Ok I just read the quick start guide, page 11 and yes there is an input gain control in the set up menu under the sub menu "input".

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 08:42:41 AM »

Are you clipping the input on the DSP in the iP2000?

Wesley David

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 03:51:39 PM »

Ok I just read the quick start guide, page 11 and yes there is an input gain control in the set up menu under the sub menu "input".

There is, there is also a Master volume, but there is not a dedicated switch or function knob to choose between Mic or Line.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 04:33:38 PM »

There is, there is also a Master volume, but there is not a dedicated switch or function knob to choose between Mic or Line.

The input gain setting is what determines mic level or line level. What do you have it set at? Have you tried the headphone test?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 05:04:24 PM »

The input gain setting is what determines mic level or line level. What do you have it set at? Have you tried the headphone test?

If anyone bothers to read them, the INSTRUCTIONS tell you to start with the volume at zero:  completely "bottomed", though the LED's run sideways, apply signal and raise the level on the iP appropriately.  So...

Given a healthy dose of OE or prototypical guy attitude of "I don't need no stinkin' manual", it appears the sky may not actually be falling after all.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »

Typically, keyboards have pretty hot outputs.  And can overload a consumer line level input pretty easily when cranked.

Does the distortion happen when the keyboards are turned down on their control panels?  If not, then you either have to get the players to keep their boards at levels below distortion, or get some kind of in-line pad to reduce the levels.  I typically use a passive stereo Radial DI box on keyboards and there is a pad button on it if someone persists in diming their keyboard all the time.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »

Everything is pointing to operator error here.

Wesley David

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 12:03:35 AM »

If anyone bothers to read them, the INSTRUCTIONS tell you to start with the volume at zero:  completely "bottomed", though the LED's run sideways, apply signal and raise the level on the iP appropriately.  So...

Given a healthy dose of OE or prototypical guy attitude of "I don't need no stinkin' manual", it appears the sky may not actually be falling after all.

I am the exception my friend. I read EVERY manual, in fact, I have already complained to their company that the manual leaves a lot to be desired.

Have done this already with volume at -60 (muted). Raised slowly. Not clipping the mixer. And it takes 5-10 mins to start distorting on the IP2000, with no volume changes on our end.

If you guys with more knowledge than me are interested, help me understand that aspect. If we were cranked, bad gain structure and all, wouldn't the distortion start right from the get go? It doesn't.

Wesley David

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 12:05:47 AM »

Typically, keyboards have pretty hot outputs.  And can overload a consumer line level input pretty easily when cranked.

Does the distortion happen when the keyboards are turned down on their control panels?  If not, then you either have to get the players to keep their boards at levels below distortion, or get some kind of in-line pad to reduce the levels.  I typically use a passive stereo Radial DI box on keyboards and there is a pad button on it if someone persists in diming their keyboard all the time.

They do indeed, and previously on my Mackie mixer, I tried DI boxes and raised the gain to decent signal level, and it didn't matter.

Now using Allen and Heath mixer, I have not tried DI's yet but I did just order an in-line pad, we'll see if that does anything.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 12:05:47 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.