ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbosound IP2000 getting 'crackling' sound with keyboards  (Read 21085 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Turbosound IP2000 getting 'crackling' sound with keyboards
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 03:47:56 PM »

Is this happening at more that one location? If it's just one location, could it be a problem with the house wiring?

Wesley David

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 04:59:15 PM »

Al, are you sure about that.  My experience with the IP and almost any other active system with mic and line gain settings is just the opposite.  In the "mic" setting it is very easy to overload the input to the speaker system.  The mic setting is adding a lot of gain and easily overloaded by a line level output from a mixer.  The "line" level setting is designed for a line level signal.  It can be overloaded, but it takes more effort.  I've had clueless rental customers take the output from 3000 watt power amps and patch them into the line level inputs of my QSC K series rental gear.  Usually (but not always) the QSC's survived.

Hey Don - Sweetwater is now sending me a 3rd unit. The replacement one had some loose screws in one of the columns. So I do suspect some quality control issues - however -

There seems to be no way to change from 'Mic' to 'Line' level on the IP2000, except using an XLR vs a 1/4 inch cable from the Mixer. Do you have any other suggestions? Their inputs are combo inputs, they can accept either XLR or 1/4 inch. My A&H Zed 14 Mixer has L/R XLR out's, 1/4 inch outs, and a Mono out, which is a 1/4 inch.

I am all ears for any help here!

Word of warning: If someone ask for a Speakon to XLR adapter be afraid, be very afraid!

Wesley David

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »

Is this happening at more that one location? If it's just one location, could it be a problem with the house wiring?

Multiple locations and with TWO separate IP2000 units!!

Which surely means I am doing something wrong...although there are serious complaints online about Turbosound quality control, so not crazy to think I got two bad units, one of which did have internal screws loose in one of the speaker columns.

I have been extremely careful to make sure I'm not clipping or peaking at the Mixer level. It never goes beyond 'Green' on the Master LED meter.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 05:27:42 PM »

Quote from: Wesley David uslink=topic=164803.msg1518835#msg1518835 date=1505163900
Multiple locations and with TWO separate IP2000 units!!

Which surely means I am doing something wrong...although there are serious complaints online about Turbosound quality control, so not crazy to think I got two bad units, one of which did have internal screws loose in one of the speaker columns.

I have been extremely careful to make sure I'm not clipping or peaking at the Mixer level. It never goes beyond 'Green' on the Master LED meter.

I'm not surprised you're having problems with more than one unit in more than one location.  The sad fact is they're ALL crap in any location.  It's just a BAD product and you need to get something better.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 05:57:08 PM »

Wesley, sorry about that.  I was confusing the IP (without a mic/line switch) and IQ series which has a mic/line switch.  I have both in rental stock so I'll do better research this time and try to find a solution.

Wesley David

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »

Wesley, sorry about that.  I was confusing the IP (without a mic/line switch) and IQ series which has a mic/line switch.  I have both in rental stock so I'll do better research this time and try to find a solution.

Hi Don - Would be indebted for any suggestions. I have fellow players who use BOSE and even HK elements line array with our type of setup with no issues, and normal mixers. Even after a much better understanding now of gain structure, still seems like something is clipping the IP2000 input gains, but ONLY with a mixer...but the Mixer LED is not peaking. It's at Unity, and nice even green.  In other words, streaming bluetooth music, and plugging a keyboard and guitar straight into the unit causes no issues, and the volume goes quite loud, but using a mixer causes problems.

It seems to take about 10 mins, and then all of a sudden, crackling and distortion begins. I would be indebted for any ideas.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 06:43:39 PM »

Hi Don - Would be indebted for any suggestions. I have fellow players who use BOSE and even HK elements line array with our type of setup with no issues, and normal mixers. Even after a much better understanding now of gain structure, still seems like something is clipping the IP2000 input gains, but ONLY with a mixer...but the Mixer LED is not peaking. It's at Unity, and nice even green.  In other words, streaming bluetooth music, and plugging a keyboard and guitar straight into the unit causes no issues, and the volume goes quite loud, but using a mixer causes problems.

It seems to take about 10 mins, and then all of a sudden, crackling and distortion begins. I would be indebted for any ideas.
What is the source/s you are feeding into the mixer?  A single keyboard crackling/distorting?   Narrow it down to which source is a possible cause.   Try one source input into the mixer at a time.   Try to recreate the problem with one source at a time input into the mixer.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »

Plug some headphones into the mixer and see if you the hear the "crackling sound"  there. If you do it's not a speaker problem.

If the headphones sound clean my guess is that the inputs on the speaker are set to mic level and your over driving them , I think you need to get into the set up menu to change the input levels on those.

Wesley David

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 12:28:58 AM »

Plug some headphones into the mixer and see if you the hear the "crackling sound"  there. If you do it's not a speaker problem.

If the headphones sound clean my guess is that the inputs on the speaker are set to mic level and your over driving them , I think you need to get into the set up menu to change the input levels on those.

Thanks for the suggestion, in fact at the most recent show we were also using a Mackie Thump speaker. Only the Turbosound distorted. The Mackie had no issues whatsoever. They were getting the L and R feed from the Mixer, respectively. 

Wesley David

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 12:41:35 AM »

What is the source/s you are feeding into the mixer?  A single keyboard crackling/distorting?   Narrow it down to which source is a possible cause.   Try one source input into the mixer at a time.   Try to recreate the problem with one source at a time input into the mixer.

Everything. 2 keyboards, 2 mics. But here are some other quirks (this is like playing Whack-a-mole)
-It takes 5-10 mins to start distorting. But no changes to our volume have taken place, and no changes on the mixer.
-Even when I STOP playing, so there's just one keyboard, and one singer, it keeps crackling. I stop sometimes for a minute or two just to listen and check the board, always green. Absolutely no clipping or peaking at the Mixer level.

Confusing right?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 12:41:35 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.