ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some help.  (Read 4446 times)

Al Rettich

Need some help.
« on: September 08, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »

So the company that I've been freelancing for doing corporate RF with asked me what would be the advantage of moving their old UHF and UHF-R's over to the new Shure Axient Digital system.  Told them I'd do some home work on them this weekend.  I know the UHF's are ancient, but the UHF-R's were just discontinued. Won't they still be revelant for at least another four or five years? The Shure Axient Digital? I've got history with the original Axient, had its goods and bads.  Does anyone have real world experience with the Axient digital?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Need some help.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 10:02:15 PM »

Al, I am not aware of any Axient Digital in the wild. I was just told it "should" be shipping within the last few days. Interesting to hear about your goods and bands with analog axient though. I will be working with those tomorrow, and have never had issues in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 02:31:38 PM »

So the company that I've been freelancing for doing corporate RF with asked me what would be the advantage of moving their old UHF and UHF-R's over to the new Shure Axient Digital system.  Told them I'd do some home work on them this weekend.  I know the UHF's are ancient, but the UHF-R's were just discontinued. Won't they still be revelant for at least another four or five years? The Shure Axient Digital? I've got history with the original Axient, had its goods and bads.  Does anyone have real world experience with the Axient digital?
I operated 4ch of AX-D at CMA Music Festival in Nissan Stadium in June. It easily integrated with my multizone RX antenna system and performed flawlessly through the event's week of tech and VTR days.

AX-D has an enormous advantage over AXT and UHF-R in that all components (TX and RX) are tunable to the entire post-repack UHF band. No more juggling bands to accommodate local TV channels.

Rumor has it that all production AX-D units will ship with ability to tune to the 600 guard band and duplex gap.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DavidTurner

Need some help.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 02:46:28 PM »

I've got 6 channels axd. They work great. Only caveat is that I had to switch my lead singer back to uhfr after three days of giving it a good try. That little bit of latency (2.9 ms) really bothered him. He says it feels like it is hitting him in the ears. I intend trying again using the aes out from the Axient although the Shure engineer said that it doesn't save that much latency. On the road without the appropriate cabling to try it right now. Hope to get the cables (word clock and aes) to try it next weekend.

If you don't have any singers on IEM, you will love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 02:48:56 PM by DavidTurner »

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »

I've got 6 channels axd. They work great. Only caveat is that I had to switch my lead singer back to uhfr after three days of giving it a good try. That little bit of latency (2.9 ms) really bothered him. He says it feels like it is hitting him in the ears. I intend trying again using the aes out from the Axient although the Shure engineer said that it doesn't save that much latency. On the road without the appropriate cabling to try it right now. Hope to get the cables (word clock and aes) to try it next weekend.

FYI, AX-D latency is better than 2ms analog out. ULXD is 2.9ms. Indeed significant, but better than the nearest digital competition.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 03:02:16 PM »

Al, I am not aware of any Axient Digital in the wild. I was just told it "should" be shipping within the last few days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well I stand corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

DavidTurner

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »

FYI, AX-D latency is better than 2ms analog out. ULXD is 2.9ms. Indeed significant, but better than the nearest digital competition.

2.08 ms in standard mode, 2.96 ms in high density mode per the user manual.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »

2.08 ms in standard mode, 2.96 ms in high density mode per the user manual.

Understood. Thanks for the info!

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 04:45:20 PM »

Won't they still be revelant for at least another four or five years?

It's going to depend on their frequency bandsplit and the television market you're in (and of course the condition they're in). They could absolutely be a viable RF system making you money for several years to come, or they could be rendered unusable by next summer.

Does anyone have real world experience with the Axient digital?

I've had a 4ch beta system for over a year now and both its audio and RF performance are major advances over the UHF-R (nearly a 20 year old design now), as well as the ULX-D. Given that regular non-ShowLink enabled Axient-D is essentially the same pricing as UHF-R on a per channel basis, it's very much the front running candidate for UHF-R replacement, as long as the latency inherent to any digital system is not a factor.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

DavidTurner

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 07:14:26 PM »

[/quote

Up date. After switching my mixer to 96k, latency is reduced enough (< 4ms) that my singer is happy with the Axient.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 07:14:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.