ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV Xsub randomly popping? Help  (Read 1844 times)

Brad M. Tartaglia

• Live Concepts
EV Xsub randomly popping? Help
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:24:31 PM »

Hello.  The other day one of my EV Xsub's came back from a rental and for some reason, it will start making a loud (Around 100hz) popping sound when it is connected to certain amplifiers. I'm having a hard time understanding why it only does it with some of my amps and works perfectly fine with others. I've been trying to figure the problem out for days but no luck... any ideas?? 

Lab Gruppen FP4k - No Popping
Crest Audio Pro-Lite 5.0 DSP - No Popping
Crest Audio CC 2800- Popping
Powersoft K6 - Popping
Electro Voice TG7 - Popping
Live Concepts | Innovation Amplified
Liveconcepts.com
Bensalem, PA 19020

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
Re: EV Xsub randomly popping? Help
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:17:52 PM »

Hello.  The other day one of my EV Xsub's came back from a rental and for some reason, it will start making a loud (Around 100hz) popping sound when it is connected to certain amplifiers. I'm having a hard time understanding why it only does it with some of my amps and works perfectly fine with others. I've been trying to figure the problem out for days but no luck... any ideas?? 

Lab Gruppen FP4k - No Popping
Crest Audio Pro-Lite 5.0 DSP - No Popping
Crest Audio CC 2800- Popping
Powersoft K6 - Popping
Electro Voice TG7 - Popping
No idea why different amps would have a different reaction, but I have seen EVX180b drivers that have had the shrink tubing on the tinsel leads creep back away from the solder point on the terminal, thus allowing for excessive vibration on the lead and causing popping sounds. Check the drivers.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:29:18 PM »

Just a thought as I don't know how you are configuring these amps.. maybe some a bridged and some aren't, but the K6 and TG7 produce over 2kw/ch at 4ohms while the others are 1800w/ch or less. All of which is to say.. you may simply be overpowering the box.

Or it could be that you now have a weak driver, maybe they cooked the box real good out on that last rental. Watch the drivers closely to see if they are moving more than normal.

Or maybe the processing(where applicable) has been tampered with, a missing low cut filter would quickly damage a driver.

Or maybe it's not a driver put a panel in the enclosure that has worked loose and buzzes/cracks with just the right input signal.

Or maybe your box doesn't have the original drivers in it any more. Yeah that sounds crazy I know but you wouldn't be the first guy to fall victim to this type of theft.

Stelios Mac

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 06:44:47 AM »

No idea why different amps would have a different reaction, but I have seen EVX180b drivers that have had the shrink tubing on the tinsel leads creep back away from the solder point on the terminal, thus allowing for excessive vibration on the lead and causing popping sounds. Check the drivers.

This ^ - Check the tinsel leads.
I just repaired a very old B&W bookshelf speaker a couple of days ago that had a similar problem - It would pop (sounded like dirty vinyl) when it got loud enough.
What happened was, a single wire off the positive terminal had broken off and "unwoven" itself, touching the other lead when there was enough excursion/vibration going on, creating a momentary short that caused the pops.

I'm guessing it's got nothing to do with the amps, just random behavior.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 06:44:47 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.