ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Using JBL SRX828SP Subs?  (Read 13377 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Anyone Using JBL SRX828SP Subs?
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2017, 11:18:32 AM »

Dumbing down the DRPA to xover only functionality still leaves it in the signal chain, adding an additional A/D and D/A conversion on a really average processor.

Not debating that issue, but it should be pointed out that the PA2 is the next generation and a vast improvement (IMHO) over the PA, PA+ and, especially, the PX.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Allen Smith

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2017, 04:13:46 PM »

It's interesting to me that people bag on the DRive Rack PA2 based on experience with prior units.  if you use the PA2 it's clearly a substantial move forward from prior units.  I understand harboring ill will towards a series or brand that didn't meet expectations in the past, I have been guilty of it.  However, I would suggest it not only adds nothing to the conversation equivocating current products to old models, it actually makes it more difficult for those seeking actual knowledge.  Many companies and products improve over time i.e. Honda or behringer or a myriad of other examples.  I have owned three generations of Civics and the evolution is startling.

I personally use a PA2 and love it on my rig comprised of X32, EV QRX and QSC.  Its not a high end rig but it has met all of my expectations and then some. The PA2 one of my favorite pieces and i highly recommend it. 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2017, 05:14:30 PM »

It's interesting to me that people bag on the DRive Rack PA2 based on experience with prior units.  if you use the PA2 it's clearly a substantial move forward from prior units.  I understand harboring ill will towards a series or brand that didn't meet expectations in the past, I have been guilty of it.  However, I would suggest it not only adds nothing to the conversation equivocating current products to old models, it actually makes it more difficult for those seeking actual knowledge.  Many companies and products improve over time i.e. Honda or behringer or a myriad of other examples.  I have owned three generations of Civics and the evolution is startling.

I personally use a PA2 and love it on my rig comprised of X32, EV QRX and QSC.  Its not a high end rig but it has met all of my expectations and then some. The PA2 one of my favorite pieces and i highly recommend it.

Agree and not harboring old bad will.  Had two PA2's sold them within a month of buying them.  I also have a new Venue 360 and it's down in my home theater where I can manage the gain structure. 

I don't know if it's a word size issue or what is going on but if you underdrive them you lose dynamic range and your mix ends up what seems like the noise floor.  Hit them too hard and they just wack the dynamic range off the top.

I rarely speak bad about products but in this case I have broad experience across both product lines.  The older 260's, and 4800's were excellent.  That's why used 260's are going for more than new Venue 360's
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tom Burgess

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »

Subs are here, tweaking the crossover (DriveRack PA2).
Makes an imposing stack I think.

I set up a system that was not too terribly dissimilar to this on an outdoor stage a few months ago.  It was 1 PRX735 each on the wings with 4 PRX618XLF's in a center cluster, 2 PRX612's for center fills.  It turned out to be a last-minute "setup and go" kind of job so there was no opportunity for anything resembling thorough tweaking or soundcheck.  I had a new PA2 in my rack and, due to time constraints, set it up for a simple crossover in a mono sub + stereo tops config... I think I used 18db slopes at 90hz iirc.  I ran some tracks, cranked the subs, adjusted the 735's and 612's to taste, and things went quite well. 

As to the issues of which Scott H. speaks, I've never experienced them with a PA2.  That's not to say that it didn't happen, of course, only that I've never witnessed it.  Scott - did your PA2's exhibit these issues regardless of how much of the processor / functions you were using?
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2017, 03:30:22 PM »

I set up a system that was not too terribly dissimilar to this on an outdoor stage a few months ago.  It was 1 PRX735 each on the wings with 4 PRX618XLF's in a center cluster, 2 PRX612's for center fills.  It turned out to be a last-minute "setup and go" kind of job so there was no opportunity for anything resembling thorough tweaking or soundcheck.  I had a new PA2 in my rack and, due to time constraints, set it up for a simple crossover in a mono sub + stereo tops config... I think I used 18db slopes at 90hz iirc.  I ran some tracks, cranked the subs, adjusted the 735's and 612's to taste, and things went quite well. 

As to the issues of which Scott H. speaks, I've never experienced them with a PA2.  That's not to say that it didn't happen, of course, only that I've never witnessed it.  Scott - did your PA2's exhibit these issues regardless of how much of the processor / functions you were using?

Had a chance to play with this set up a bit (nothing real-life yet). I really like being able to adjust the crossover types and levels from my iPad. I can hear the difference with each type and slope. I am running the SRX828SP's full range from the PA2 and using the crossover in the cabinet. I am happy with the PA2 so far, does what I need it to do. This isn't my main rig, I do weddings almost every weekend and have a pair of PRX715xlf's and PRX612M tops. They have made me a whole bunch of money, no complaints. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use the SRX rig in a real-world scenario soon.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 03:47:10 PM »

Remember, the source music your were testing the pa2 with are nice studio mixes .
    Once you put the real life live signal from live instruments through, the pa2 will
show its limitations.
 Bad time to find its not up to snuff
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Tom Burgess

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »

Remember, the source music your were testing the pa2 with are nice studio mixes .
    Once you put the real life live signal from live instruments through, the pa2 will
show its limitations.
 Bad time to find its not up to snuff
In my example it was a 16 channel mix of a Country / Rock band... Drums, Bass, Fiddle, GTR X 2, Keys, Vox.  This was the first time I'd used a PA2 on mains but I've used one on monitor mixes several times and never found a fatal flaw with it.  I'll definitely pay more attention on my next outing, though.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Allen Smith

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »

Fair enough, I have always thought of you spent the money you earn the right to comment on it.  It's  interesting that your experience is so different than mine.  I do keep my digital devices well away from clipping which may be why it works we'll for me given the issue you report.  Thanks for the measured response.

Agree and not harboring old bad will.  Had two PA2's sold them within a month of buying them.  I also have a new Venue 360 and it's down in my home theater where I can manage the gain structure. 

I don't know if it's a word size issue or what is going on but if you underdrive them you lose dynamic range and your mix ends up what seems like the noise floor.  Hit them too hard and they just wack the dynamic range off the top.

I rarely speak bad about products but in this case I have broad experience across both product lines.  The older 260's, and 4800's were excellent.  That's why used 260's are going for more than new Venue 360's

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.