ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Using JBL SRX828SP Subs?  (Read 13150 times)

Rob Bernstein

Re: Anyone Using JBL SRX828SP Subs?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 04:10:59 PM »

OR just plug the DSR's directly into the SRX's and not worry about anything else......sorry.... I'll shut up now......as you were....move along....

yes, that would make life easier.
But I'd have to empty the trailer, get the DSR's out......

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 04:11:32 PM »

Thanks for the info.
So if I understand what you are suggesting, set the PA2 to send the subs a signal at say, 150Hz low pass and use the internal LP on the subs set somewhere around 100Hz?
Or just send them a full-range signal?

When I started that reply I hadn't read the product manual (which I've now skimmed).

I'd just send full range to the subs to start with, it's what they are designed for.  My thoughts about using a 200Hz or higher LPF was based on a suspicion that you might not be able to do full range outputs, but it seems that you can.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 04:11:53 PM »

Rob, it's Scott H that thinks the PA2 is a weak link, not me.  I have no experience with the unit.  While I might choose other models or brands, you're doing what can be done with the choices you made. 

Not just me,  another user has the same experience with the Driveracks as I have had:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,164935.0/topicseen.html

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 04:14:19 PM »

Not just me,  another user has the same experience with the Driveracks as I have had:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,164935.0/topicseen.html

I see nothing in Jonathan's post about the PA2.  It's also important to note that the Xilica is a league above the PAx line, just as the DR4800 would be.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »

I see nothing in Jonathan's post about the PA2.  It's also important to note that the Xilica is a league above the PAx line, just as the DR4800 would be.

From his post:

I came to the Xilica from years of using a DriveRack PA (the old version). While that was a great unit for what it was when I bought it, moving to the Xilica is a whole different world in terms of capabilities and quality. The DriveRack had noticeable artifacts and audio problems, but I was willing to deal with them because it was what I had. In this case, though, I'm quite glad I made the decision to get the Xilica. I evaluated the newer DriveRack units,

Please also note that I am extolling the virtues of the 828SP's internal processing with V5 tunings and FIR filters.  it gets the job done.  Just using the PA2 as a simple crossover as Tim suggested still places the PA2's very mediocre, easily overdriven and generally crappy sounding A/D converter right smack in the signal chain.

You have an excellent mixer, subs and tops.  I would rather see a good analog crossover, available for pennies in today's market, than the PA2.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:23:33 PM by Scott Holtzman »

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 04:52:01 PM »

From his post:

Please also note that I am extolling the virtues of the 828SP's internal processing with V5 tunings and FIR filters.  it gets the job done.  Just using the PA2 as a simple crossover as Tim suggested still places the PA2's very mediocre, easily overdriven and generally crappy sounding A/D converter right smack in the signal chain.

You have an excellent mixer, subs and tops.  I would rather see a good analog crossover, available for pennies in today's market, than the PA2.

Duly noted, and I appreciate the guidance.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »

From his post:

Again, Jonathan doesn't mention the PA2.  Find it for me, please.

Rob does not lose the V5 presets in the SRX828sp no matter what.  Rob does not lose the inter-driver alignments, EQ or limiting in the PRX; processing that appears to be V4 dbx-based.  He already owns the PA2.  Let him use it as a learning tool and he can decide if he wants to put a 20 year old Ashly analog xover (a solid, basic choice) in the rig later.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2017, 09:33:43 PM »

Again, Jonathan doesn't mention the PA2.  Find it for me, please.

Rob does not lose the V5 presets in the SRX828sp no matter what.  Rob does not lose the inter-driver alignments, EQ or limiting in the PRX; processing that appears to be V4 dbx-based.  He already owns the PA2.  Let him use it as a learning tool and he can decide if he wants to put a 20 year old Ashly analog xover (a solid, basic choice) in the rig later.

I highly doubt there is any FIR magic going on a SRX828.  The frequencies are just too low.  I know that FIR's are only used on mids and highs (not lows) on vertec.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2017, 10:22:56 PM »

I highly doubt there is any FIR magic going on a SRX828.  The frequencies are just too low.  I know that FIR's are only used on mids and highs (not lows) on vertec.

I agree the filters are probably IIR, but it was the mention of V5 that made me look at the processing in both models.  Rob's system can be processed in a simple manner that doesn't undo any of JBL's work and that is the goal.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2017, 11:44:31 PM »

I agree the filters are probably IIR, but it was the mention of V5 that made me look at the processing in both models.  Rob's system can be processed in a simple manner that doesn't undo any of JBL's work and that is the goal.

I agree that you don't have to disable any of the V5 tunings, which David pointed out only apply to mid's and high's (I am still working my way around the math behind FIR's though I get the trips around the phase wheel for each tap and the accompanying phase shift).

Dumbing down the DRPA to xover only functionality still leaves it in the signal chain, adding an additional A/D and D/A conversion on a really average processor.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2017, 11:44:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.