ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Using JBL SRX828SP Subs?  (Read 13379 times)

Rob Bernstein

Re: Anyone Using JBL SRX828SP Subs?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »

I don't know what mixer you use, but in case you were not aware or were thinking about future purchase, the X32 allows you to place a crossover on outputs.  May save you from extra setup/connections if you go that route.  You would still have to do two outputs (one to mains, one to subs), but you wouldn't have the interconnect with an external box. 

I have some situations where my PRX 612's work for coverage, but I'll pull an 828p out instead of rolling out the PRX618/718 subs.  I use the crossover in the X32 for the mains out, and the internal x-over in the 828P.

Interesting idea.
I'm strongly entrenched in the Allen & Heath camp (GLD-80, Qu-16, Qu-SB, digital stage boxes) so I won't be moving anywhere else soon.
I think I'll be doing the PA2 for the gigs I need the big speakers for.

Steve Garris

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 11:54:38 AM »

I would get the sub's and try the tops full range before deciding on adding a crossover. I've run an SRX818 set to 80 Hz, with PRX515 tops running full range. I know the overlay is happening but it didn't matter - sounded great. YMMV

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 11:57:27 AM »

I would get the sub's and try the tops full range before deciding on adding a crossover. I've run an SRX818 set to 80 Hz, with PRX515 tops running full range. I know the overlay is happening but it didn't matter - sounded great. YMMV

Good idea, thanks.
I'm thinking with the 15" woofer in the 735 the low end may be a bit much, but worth trying.
I got a smoking deal on the SRX828's so they are coming regardless!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 12:25:36 PM »

I remember you saying this before Steve and I could see it working with certain speakers. I have so say that it used to sound OK with my set up too and I used it that way a few times - I just preferred using the crossover. The bass guitar never sounded as clear when used without but I suppose it depends on the speakers in question as to how well that would work.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 01:02:53 PM »

Can you put a HPF on the A&H output to the tops?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 01:22:01 PM »

Can you put a HPF on the A&H output to the tops?

PEQ, GEQ, Comp and DELAY. No Cross Over.
Although I suppose I could use the PEQ to create a HP.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 01:31:31 PM »

PEQ, GEQ, Comp and DELAY. No Cross Over.
Although I suppose I could use the PEQ to create a HP.

A filter is a filter is a filter.  There is no magic "crossover" filter, it's just a pair of overlapping LPF/HPF.

The primary difference is the steepness of the filter and, up to a point, steeper is perceived as "better".
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 01:55:10 PM »

A filter is a filter is a filter.  There is no magic "crossover" filter, it's just a pair of overlapping LPF/HPF.

The primary difference is the steepness of the filter and, up to a point, steeper is perceived as "better".

How true.
I was thinking of the slope of the filter, but I guess I could fiddle with the PEQ and see how that sounds.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 02:03:37 PM »

How true.
I was thinking of the slope of the filter, but I guess I could fiddle with the PEQ and see how that sounds.

You can stack 2 12dB/octave filters using the same freq & slope.  I don't know what the parameter selection is like on your mixer but there was a post several years ago about stacking filters on an Yammy 01v to replicate steeper crossover-style filters.  You might find it with a search.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 01:39:16 PM »

Subs are here, tweaking the crossover (DriveRack PA2).
Makes an imposing stack I think.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 01:39:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.