ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Using JBL SRX828SP Subs?  (Read 13380 times)

Rob Bernstein

Anyone Using JBL SRX828SP Subs?
« on: September 07, 2017, 10:51:00 PM »

Looking to grow my "bigger" rig from PRX718xlf with Yamaha DSR112 tops to SRX828SP with PRX835 tops.
I've been utilizing the internal crossovers in the 718xlf's to feed the tops everything above 100Hz.
From reading the manual on the SRX828, I see 2 inputs, and 2 direct outputs. For the Direct Outs, manual states "Male balanced XLR output connector. Passes signal directly from the input
to the output, bypassing DSP for zero latency. This connector provides a fullrange signal which can be daisy chained to another speaker."
So does that mean I'm going to need an outboard crossover with the SRX subs to do what I am doing with the PRX rig?
Or run Aux Fed Subs?
Any experience with these, I'd love your input.
Thanks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Anyone Using JBL SRX828SP Subs?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 12:05:13 AM »

Looking to grow my "bigger" rig from PRX718xlf with Yamaha DSR112 tops to SRX828SP with PRX835 tops.
I've been utilizing the internal crossovers in the 718xlf's to feed the tops everything above 100Hz.
From reading the manual on the SRX828, I see 2 inputs, and 2 direct outputs. For the Direct Outs, manual states "Male balanced XLR output connector. Passes signal directly from the input
to the output, bypassing DSP for zero latency. This connector provides a fullrange signal which can be daisy chained to another speaker."
So does that mean I'm going to need an outboard crossover with the SRX subs to do what I am doing with the PRX rig?
Or run Aux Fed Subs?
Thanks

What tops are you planning to use with the SRX subs?

The SRX expects the tops to do their own processing (like most do).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Gentry

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 12:40:58 AM »

Or run Aux Fed Subs?
Thanks

No need for an external crossover. Set each speaker with the corresponding other, SRX MAIN, SRX SUB, and you're good. The speakers will process the signal accordingly.

If running aux fed subs, run L/R to the mains, aux to subs, daisy chain accordingly, up to 4 I believe.

There are situations that you may want an external processor, but crossover with the SRX isn't one of them.

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:11:25 AM »

What tops are you planning to use with the SRX subs?

The SRX expects the tops to do their own processing (like most do).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My plan is to use the PRX735's as tops with the 828's. The PRX735's do not have any DSP in them, which is what is worrying me.
I can see from the manual the if I had the SRX835's, I could use the DSP to run them in HP mode.
So it seems my only option with the PRX tops is an external crossover.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:15:18 AM »

My plan is to use the PRX735's as tops with the 828's. The PRX735's do not have any DSP in them, which is what is worrying me.

Sure they do. Just not user adjustable DSP. If you don't like the factory crossover point, then yes, you will need a different crossover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 08:26:48 AM »

Sure they do. Just not user adjustable DSP. If you don't like the factory crossover point, then yes, you will need a different crossover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

David,
Not sure what you mean, maybe I wasn't clear in my description.
What I meant to say is, I understand the PRX735's have an internal crossover for the 3 speakers in the cabinet. What I can't do, without an external crossover/processor, is run the tops in High Pass mode like I can do with my PRX718xlf subs (there is a button for full range/High Pass on the outputs of the sub).
Ideally I don't want to send anything below 100Hz to the tops.
So I'm thinking something like a dbx PA2 would do the job.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 08:35:55 AM »

When I was using QSC subs with PRX612's, I had to use an external crossover due to the fact that neither the sub nor the PRX had   processing for HP so you probably will have to do the same.
........unless you go the aux sub route as previously mentioned.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 08:44:17 AM »

When I was using QSC subs with PRX612's, I had to use an external crossover due to the fact that neither the sub nor the PRX had   processing for HP so you probably will have to do the same.
........unless you go the aux sub route as previously mentioned.

Sounds like that is where I'm headed (external processor).
I've though about Aux Fed Subs, just feels like more complication that I don't need!

Jay Marr

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »

I've though about Aux Fed Subs, just feels like more complication that I don't need!

Situations like this are why I wish that little DBX-GO unit had Xover capabilities.

Are there any really small boxes that do?
(I think I've seen an old Samson half rack space Xover)

Nate Zifra

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 09:52:05 AM »

I don't know what mixer you use, but in case you were not aware or were thinking about future purchase, the X32 allows you to place a crossover on outputs.  May save you from extra setup/connections if you go that route.  You would still have to do two outputs (one to mains, one to subs), but you wouldn't have the interconnect with an external box. 

I have some situations where my PRX 612's work for coverage, but I'll pull an 828p out instead of rolling out the PRX618/718 subs.  I use the crossover in the X32 for the mains out, and the internal x-over in the 828P.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 09:52:05 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.