ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Splitter snake  (Read 6565 times)

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Splitter snake
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 05:50:04 AM »

I would recommend that you try and have all splits(not the one supplying phantom power) transformer isolated, this can be done using simply in-line transformers if you really want to go that way.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »

I would recommend that you try and have all splits(not the one supplying phantom power) transformer isolated, this can be done using simply in-line transformers if you really want to go that way.

I've been a big fan of transformer splitters for as long as I can remember.   All of our 32-40 channel splitters have transformers but when it came time to buy our 54 channel RamLatch snakes/splitters from RamTech we opted for passive Y splits mostly as a budget consideration.  I was not in favor of this and predicted at least 1 major problem in the first 6 months of ownership... but it didn't happen.

I still like transformers and if we're providing a split to a recording or broadcast truck I want transformers because of the electrical grounding potential differences but for the day to day use splitting inputs between 2 mixers on the same electrical service the passive splits have been up to the task.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 12:37:31 PM »

ehhhhhh. Good transformers are very expensive.  "Affordable" transformers have limited headroom, saturate at lower frequency and can add audible distortion.  If you need to regularly interface with outside sources being served by a different electrical service like broadcast or remote recording trucks, then high quality transformers are the proper tool for the job.  (and such splitter systems are often provided by the remote truck.)  If the splitter is a simple 2 way split for use between house and monitor consoles within your own rig and being served by a common distro that you are providing, a passive splitter should work absolutely fine.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 01:05:33 PM »

ehhhhhh. Good transformers are very expensive.  "Affordable" transformers have limited headroom, saturate at lower frequency and can add audible distortion.  If you need to regularly interface with outside sources being served by a different electrical service like broadcast or remote recording trucks, then high quality transformers are the proper tool for the job.  (and such splitter systems are often provided by the remote truck.)  If the splitter is a simple 2 way split for use between house and monitor consoles within your own rig and being served by a common distro that you are providing, a passive splitter should work absolutely fine.

Gotta agree here, 100%
Last century I built a 24 channel, 2 way split. I built a case to house everything.
The FOH snake head sat nicely in the side that stored the whips.
3 foot whip patched into the snake, and a 50 foot whip never missed monitorland. I put transformers on 5 lines, everything else was hard-wired.
As I ALWAYS supplied AC, and both my boards were Yamahas, I never had any problems. I generally used the transformers on the vocals, but I don't recall ever being forced to use them. Ground lifts on all channels, and phantom from FOH.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 04:02:58 PM »

Chiming in to add we also purchased two passive splits a couple of years ago that have a couple of hundred shows on them at this point without issue. Was nice being able to use the saved funds on other goodies.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 04:58:14 AM »

RE recording trucks.

These days 99% of the trucks I encounter use stage racks with optical fibre running back to the truck, so any ground issues is gone and you can use passive splits for them as well.

FWIW.

Peter Morris

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 09:01:28 PM »

ehhhhhh. Good transformers are very expensive.  "Affordable" transformers have limited headroom, saturate at lower frequency and can add audible distortion. If you need to regularly interface with outside sources being served by a different electrical service like broadcast or remote recording trucks, then high quality transformers are the proper tool for the job.  (and such splitter systems are often provided by the remote truck.) If the splitter is a simple 2 way split for use between house and monitor consoles within your own rig and being served by a common distro that you are providing, a passive splitter should work absolutely fine.

Like  :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 09:01:28 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.