ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of power distro?  (Read 5210 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: What kind of power distro?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 02:28:56 PM »

To be candid, if I was in your situation, I'd run each pair of speakers (sub and top) to one circuit on the spider box (you have 6 circuits available). Then one circuit does stage power/backline, and one does FOH and your two wedges. That's going to balance everything really nicely over the available circuits on the spider box.

(I typically see spider box outlets wired X then Y then X then etc -- so the first Edison you find is on the X leg of the incoming service, and the very next one to your right is on Y, and then X, etc. So, you can use that pattern to make sure you're splitting everything between the two legs of the 50A service from the generator. Metering hot to hot should read 220v, thus allowing you to verify that pattern.)

If it's a 25kW generator, upstream breaker should be 60A, so you'll be fine.

As noted, make sure everything meters properly before the electrician leaves! Some newer generators have a "low engine speed" switch- if you're reading 60V or something scary like that, where you're expecting 120V, that's usually the issue.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jared Bratsberg

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »

That's really good insight Ray, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 09:02:36 AM »

And  be aware than many/most whisper generators of any size can be changed from single-phase 120/240 volts to 3-phase 120/208 volts. Plus there's generally a 480/277 volt setting you want to avoid. If I'm connecting to the genny with tails, I'll measure at my tail camloks FIRST before connecting to anything else. I've had a few electricians leave the genny on 480 volts and tell me it was 120/208, so only believe your own meter.

You didn't ask but my favorite field meter is a Fluke 117. Cost is around $150, but buy it once and it will likely last for your entire pro-sound career. https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-117-Electricians-True-Multimeter/dp/B000O3LUEI

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 09:02:36 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.