ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The mystic qualities of ethernet cable and protecting yourself in the real world  (Read 7628 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

In my primary industry I am constantly working with very large networks for very large world wide corporations and governments. In most cases price for support and quality are secondary to the actual support and quality of the product. Like everything else you get what you pay for, no exceptions.

On this site the move to digital boards and digital stage boxes is often discussed, and the primary discussion always concerns connecting the stage box, and almost always what type cable to use for that purpose.

Regardless of category, it may surprise many of you to learn there are only two (2) types of cable. Certified and NOT certified.

When choosing a cable for your connectivity I would suggest that you place more importance on the cable certification than on the category. Take the time to do a little research, and the first step in that research will always be to read the printing on the cable jacket.

In my example I wanted to find out if the CAT6 cables I had on hand would work without issue between my performer and 32R stage box. My reference cable for the testing would be the specially made cable sent to me by my good friend Steve Hurt. The cable length was about 20'.

My test cables varied in length, type, and quality. Many had no marking other than CAT5, CAT6, etc.. I knew what to expect, and was not disappointed when NONE of the unmarked cables I had on hand, out of maybe 50 cables, provided reliable service. However, ALL of the marked certified cables work flawlessly from 25' up to and including cables 328' long. None of the cables were of shielded construction except one (1), and none were built with anything other than standard RJ-45 connectors.

So back to the initial reason for the testing. Certified cables work, uncertified cables don't.

How do you spot a certified cable? Look at the jacket and you should see similar printing to that below;

SUNF PU EI32276-A1 CM 75C 4PR 24 AWG CSA LL6451-A CMG FT4 ETL&3P VERIFIED TO TIA/EIA 568B.2-1 ISO/IEC 11801&EN 50173 CAT6

Pretty long line to say the least, but those are numbers that identify the manufacturer (SUNF PU), the construction type and verification process certificate. Entek is the leader in cable certification.

YMMV with the above, but a good reliable starting point is the writing on the jacket. Good luck to you all.

https://www.sunfpu.com/cat-6-solid-plenum.html

http://www.pccableworld.com/pdf/Shielded%20Cat6%20Stranded.pdf

https://www.cablestogo.com/category/cat-x/cat6

http://www.flukenetworks.com/findit/3469988

6. Buyer Beware
An unsettling trend in the cable industry relates to “no-name” Cat 5, 6, and 6A product. This cable is often made outside
the United States and is less expensive than comparable product from major manufactures. Unfortunately, much of this
inexpensive cable is made from inferior materials using questionable manufacturing processes.
In 2008 the Communications Cable & Connectivity Association tested nine brands of no-name cables, all of which were
rated for use in risers or plenum spaces. Not one met the physical requirements defined in TIA 568-B.2. Only five meet the
electrical test requirements defined in TIA 568-B.2 and one met the safety requirements defined by UL 1666 and NFPA 262.
How is such poor cable reaching the market? It can because safety agencies perform random tests at the point of manufacture,
not in the field. The chasm in the quality process leaves end users exposed to safety and performance risks that are
entirely avoidable.
To ensure that there are no costs or risks hidden in inexpensive Cat 5, 6, and 6A cable, enterprises and cable installers
should certify cable in accordance with industry standards."
"
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:23:25 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics

But the non-certified stuff is cheaper...
Brian Jojade

Keith Broughton

• Toronto

Good info!
Thanks Bob
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Barry Singleton

But the non-certified stuff is cheaper...

Of course it is.  It's less expensive too.

Barry.
If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England

Of course it is.  It's less expensive too.
And it doesn't cost as much.

Steve.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com

And it doesn't cost as much.

Steve.
But does it go to eleven?
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Steve Oldridge

Thanks Bob..

Should we assume this "issue" is not limited to CAT cables, but also to other cheap cables we would use in SR .??

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Thanks Bob..

Should we assume this "issue" is not limited to CAT cables, but also to other cheap cables we would use in SR .??

I have mentioned this before, but it is worth repeating.  UTP cable is not carrying DC signals.  Gigabit Ethernet is essentially microwave RF, 100M is VHF frequencies.  UTP is carrying RF, leakage, crosstalk as well as attenuation are all factors in the operation of the cable.  When UTP cable is tested (or certified) the test is to determine that the error rate on the cable at the intended transmission speed is acceptable for the application.

Audio is a real time protocol, there is no time for resends or other TCP style integrity constructs.  Cable plant directly impacts quality and reliability. 

Lastly certification is not just the cable, it is the system.  The attachment of connectors, patching and the physical media all must pass the test. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Thanks Bob..

For analog audio? No.  For data or data-like signals? Yes.

Certified performance for RG-series cables used for MADI or Avid's DigiSnake?  Yes.  For video? Who cares, that's the vidiots problem.... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

Thanks Bob..

No. Analog audio has very low requirements of cable, high speed data does not. While there is always the possibility of more problems with cheap cable, if it is wired correctly it should perform as well as more expensive cable. It just may not be a rugged. The requirements for high speed data are pretty high, and carefully specified.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: The mystic qualities of ethernet cable and protecting yourself in the real world
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 11:59:51 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.