ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X-air insert or FX send - does it make a difference  (Read 7750 times)

John Marsden

X-air insert or FX send - does it make a difference
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:07:57 AM »

Hi,
Just about coming to grips with X-air 18, using it on Midas MR 18
My question is what is the point of using insert effects on a channel when you can use one of the rack effects on up to 2 channels only anyway, and there's more control if you just use a Fx send etc.
Am I missing something?

Just coming from about a year or so doing sound for a rock band using analogue desk - and usually used the insert channels for recording clean inputs. And occasionally for a bit of quick reverb during rehearsals. (Fx rack at home, tiny mixer, – suddenly they want reverb – so used a guitar pedal on an insert channel – worked quite well actually!!)

Thanks in anticipation
No one is really listening - that's the zen part.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: X-air insert or FX send - does it make a difference
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 06:35:53 AM »

You only have four effects.  If you inserted them, you would run out of effects quickly.

By having them on an auxiliary you can, for example, set up one as a reverb and one as a delay and then send the channels (vocals usually) which you want to have that effect to one or other auxiliary (or both).

Make sure your sends for effects are post fader (and monitors are pre fader). Then the amount sent to the effect is proportional to the channel level.

The return from each effect is then sent to L and R in the bus master section and to monitors if required.

Generally, it is only compression and gating which is inserted... but you have one of each of those on every channel anyway!

Steve.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:38:01 AM by Steve M Smith »

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:57:01 AM »

The inserts can be used for a de-esser or something on a per channel basis. This will also affect the sound that is coming through the fader, because it is in the chain from imput to fader. Reverb and delay should be on a (post fader) fx send, which will NOT affect your channel sound, because the dry sound will be tapped from your FX send. The built-in compressor and gate per channel are (digital) inserts btw.

John Marsden

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:12:01 AM »

Thank you
So essentially as I don't really want one de-esser on several channels at once that should be used as insert fx. 

Are there any other fx that probably should only be used as inserts?
 (That sounds a bit too broad a question  - I suppose I mean the emulations that are in the X-air list - but as a general hint really)

And I agree with you Steve – that the send Fx are much more useful.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:15:25 AM by John Marsden »
No one is really listening - that's the zen part.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »

If you want 1 (one) de-esser, or (multiband) compressor on multiple channels you should use a group-bus. Send the channels you want de-essed ONLY to the group-bus, insert the de-esser on the group-bus, and send the group-bus to main LR.

I have done this with a compressor many times when mixing bands with a lot of vocal harmonies. It evens out the main volume difference, while still keeping the separate harmony volumes relative to each other intact.

The FX send works the same as a monitor send, except it is usually post-fader.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:53:09 AM by Geert Friedhof »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.