ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: because they only use tweeters?  (Read 16887 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: because they only use tweeters?
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2017, 11:21:30 PM »

Clipping is loosely defined as the point where the amplifier/power supply can no longer produce output voltage and the resulting signal "clips". In some cases the amplifier power supply will respond with very large voltage spikes prior to "clipping". This is not a common problem with most of todays better made amplifiers, but it can still occur. Another factor is the effect the abuse will have in the production of heat within the circuit. Components fail often with the result of large electrical discharges that are not controlled by any means of protection. This is quite easy to demonstrate in a tube amplifier when plate voltages of 400 or more DC volts are let loose within the circuit destroying components including transformers and speakers. So although it's safe to assume the textbook definition of clipping to be correct, there are many other factors which come to play other than a power supply that runs out of gas.

And I have repaired amplifiers that have taken a direct lightening strike. We won't categorize that as clipping.

Actually clipping is any time the output of any amplifier or device in the signal chain can no longer produce a sinusoidal waveform and the rounded edge of the waveform is "clipped" off and replaced with a square wave.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2017, 01:43:50 AM »

A clipped waveform has a higher duty cycle than an unclipped one.  Meaning the voice coil is dissipating current for a longer period of time even though the voltage is within the limits expected for a sine wave of X "watts" (the rating of the amp or speaker).  Which can burn it out.

FWIW, a guitar speaker has pretty significant mechanical inductance (stiff suspension) as well as pretty decent electrical inductance (large voice coil on some) and so it doesn't do the upper harmonics of a clipping tube guitar amplifier.  And thus can tolerate that overdriven sound much more than a HF driver attempting to do it.  Hook a tweeter up to something with a basic hard clipping fuzz tone and it will burn out at pretty moderate volumes.  Learned the hard way not to play my guitar though the stereo using my tape deck as a fuzz tone.  It worked for Richie Blackmore because he was plugged into things with limited HF response.

David Allred

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2017, 07:56:00 AM »

Actually clipping is any time the output of any amplifier or device in the signal chain can no longer produce a sinusoidal waveform and the rounded edge of the waveform is "clipped" off and replaced with a square wave.

Most understand that a clipped sign wave has similar properties to a square wave, but is actually not an actual square wave, because of the ramps being sinusoidal.  Does this hybrid wave have a technical name?

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2017, 08:13:10 AM »

Most understand that a clipped sign wave has similar properties to a square wave, but is actually not an actual square wave, because of the ramps being sinusoidal.  Does this hybrid wave have a technical name?

Ummmm. Distortion ?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

David Allred

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »

Ummmm. Distortion ?
Chris.
I found this.
"Distortion Wave is a Quantum power that becomes available at Level 22.  Release a wave of chronal distortion to damage your enemies. "

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2017, 08:50:44 AM »

One thing that seems to be missing from this discussion is the relationship between limiting and rated (RMS) power.

Today's amps, and any relatively recent amps, all seem to have rated power that pushes right up against where limiting occurs.
All the spec sheets ive read typically show only a db or so between rated power and power at limiting.
Rating wars I take it.

So definitionally, I'm with Chris...no way an amp can make 10x rated power.
If you want to call rated power something other than RMS, like program or music power, typically at 1/8 rated rms, then sure, 10x works.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2017, 08:58:05 AM »

It's just a clipped sine wave.
The more you push it into clipping, the closer it gets to being a square wave.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 12:30:14 PM »

I found this.
"Distortion Wave is a Quantum power that becomes available at Level 22.  Release a wave of chronal distortion to damage your enemies. "
Well, it wouldn't mean shit if it only went to 11...........
Prelude to a Klingon Disruptor ?

Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2017, 01:44:27 PM »

They are Mackie SR1521s.  I completely agree with all the comments about their use.  Luckily these are only used for rehearsal

These cabs blow their HF drivers so easily. Mackie used the same HF driver they put in the 450, and crossed them over 300hz lower.

Just look at them funny and they're gone. Mic feedback will take them out every time, and in a rehearsal space  ::)

If it's for rehearsal, I'd replace them with a more robust driver and be done with it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:30:54 PM by Bill Hornibrook »

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »

Sounds plausible.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.