ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 + S16 popping with shielded cat5e cable and ethercon connectors  (Read 683 times)

Mark van Leeuwen

Re: X32 + S16 popping with shielded cat5e cable and ethercon connectors
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 10:34:25 pm »

Check to see if the camera has phantom power applied to the 3.5mm input.  Phantom will charge up any output coupling capacitors; when they reach discharge voltage they'll put a DC spike in the signal (and to the ground plane of the console).

You might do a search for the work Dan Mortensen and another engineer did with a BBQ lighter... remove the protective tip to expose the piezo element on a fuel-free lighter.  Spark up any exposed metal on the mixer or S16 and see what happens.  If this doesn't induce a drop out, the problem is not the CAT STP cable or its terminations...

My experience with UTP was that the pop was not like gunshot (it wasn't alarmingly loud, just irritating).  That level makes me think of a phantom power issue somewhere on the input side.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The camera is on XLR out so there is no phantom power on that cable. But I will try removing all phantom power inputs. The popping and dropouts have only occurred when the room is full of people and the weather is dry, which means my opportunities to test changes are somewhat limited. Thankfully the church congregation has been patient with me chasing down the problem and have put up with me disabling parts of the system.

I have seen the Youtube videos uploaded by Brian Wynne. I was rather pleased to find someone else had experienced the problem and was able to recreate it. I had wondered about zapping our X32 and S16 the same way, but feel reluctant to put the church's gear at risk!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 11:55:51 am »

The camera is on XLR out so there is no phantom power on that cable. But I will try removing all phantom power inputs. The popping and dropouts have only occurred when the room is full of people and the weather is dry, which means my opportunities to test changes are somewhat limited. Thankfully the church congregation has been patient with me chasing down the problem and have put up with me disabling parts of the system.

I have seen the Youtube videos uploaded by Brian Wynne. I was rather pleased to find someone else had experienced the problem and was able to recreate it. I had wondered about zapping our X32 and S16 the same way, but feel reluctant to put the church's gear at risk!

Brian is the other engineer I was thinking of (but couldn't remember his name).

You won't damage the church's mixer or S16 - look at how many times Brian and Dan tested their respective consoles without damage.

ESD is getting into the system somehow and I think it's prudent to start with known failure modes and eliminate or confirm them.  You can't test for what you don't know....
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 08:03:42 am »

Yes, a few channels do use phantom power. I have tried moving/jiggling all connections but could not reproduce it. Also, the popping is much louder than I would expect from a bad connection, it is like a gunshot, so that is why I have been suspecting it must be an ESD.

A phantom power XLR cable with an intermittent connection can sound like a gunshot. I once had a bass guitar active (phantom powered) DI that acted like that. One of the XLR wires inside the case was broken and would make/break contact if you tapped on the DI box. It would produce a pulse at full PA power, which was pretty scary and could have taken out some drivers if it kept happening.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 03:40:09 pm »

Cameras often have phantom on THEIR input because they often use condenser mics.

That is what Tim is concerned about.

I always put an isolation transformer between my output and someone else's input.

Some mixers can be damaged by getting phantom applied to their outputs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mark van Leeuwen

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 09:47:09 am »

A phantom power XLR cable with an intermittent connection can sound like a gunshot. I once had a bass guitar active (phantom powered) DI that acted like that. One of the XLR wires inside the case was broken and would make/break contact if you tapped on the DI box. It would produce a pulse at full PA power, which was pretty scary and could have taken out some drivers if it kept happening.

Thanks for sharing that experience. Following suggestions made by others, I disconnected all inputs with phantom power last Sunday. There were three drop-outs during the service where all sound was lost for less than a second - no loud popping this time. I believe it is random whether we have a loud pop or drop-out. We've  had both before. At this stage, I think the symptoms still point to ESD being the cause.

Cameras often have phantom on THEIR input because they often use condenser mics.

That is what Tim is concerned about.

I always put an isolation transformer between my output and someone else's input.

Some mixers can be damaged by getting phantom applied to their outputs.

Thanks for the clarification. Based on recommendations here, I bought an isolation transformer and have inserted that into the two outs that go to the camera and splitter.

If that makes no difference, then I plan to use the BBQ lighter test to see if I can recreate the problem.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 18 queries.