ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: All you guys in Florida stay safe  (Read 11809 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: All you guys in Florida stay safe
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 07:55:04 PM »

Ready, building subs with plywood bought before last year's hurricane here, lather, rinse, repeat...
Deja vu all over again ;^).

My 85 year old Mom lives in Fort Lauderdale and won't leave her house.

Trying to decide if I should run down and drag her ass out of the house. 

If the storm doesn't hit South Florida I will never hear the end of it, if it does and I don't do something I won't be able to live with myself.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 08:28:54 PM »

If the storm doesn't hit South Florida I will never hear the end of it, if it does and I don't do something I won't be able to live with myself.

Tough call Scott.  The thing with hurricanes is that it isn't so much the wind and rain that'll get you - it's the long-term flooding, power outages, gas shortages, food/water shortages etc. that causes the problems.  For what it's worth gas, propane, water, and plywood are already in short supply where I live (about 2hrs or so North of Ft. Lauderdale).  I certainly won't try to sway you one way or the other, but I'd recommend making up your mind sooner rather than later.  Even if we don't get a direct hit, with a storm this size we'll be getting something.  Hopefully just a rainy windy day!  Be safe! 

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 08:34:44 PM »

Tough call Scott.  The thing with hurricanes is that it isn't so much the wind and rain that'll get you - it's the long-term flooding, power outages, gas shortages, food/water shortages etc. that causes the problems.  For what it's worth gas, propane, water, and plywood are already in short supply where I live (about 2hrs or so North of Ft. Lauderdale).  I certainly won't try to sway you one way or the other, but I'd recommend making up your mind sooner rather than later.  Even if we don't get a direct hit, with a storm this size we'll be getting something.  Hopefully just a rainy windy day!  Be safe!

Thanks Jeff....I grew up in Hollywood.  Everything is already in short supply.  I am up in Cleveland.

She has lived through a few storms, Camille being the closest but nothing compared to ground zero of a cat 5.  This thing is monster. I would not be surprised if central pressure drops below 900MB. 

My working plan now is to fly commercial into Melbourne where my father in law is located.  He has a work van and I would drive down to Hollywood, acquire lumber in route, board up the house and then wait out the storm at my Father in Law's (they don't get along adding even more drama).

I have a Cessna 210 so I can go that route but that makes boarding up the house impossible and adds rental car logistics.

Lastly I can load plywood into my truck and just make the drive, secure the townhouse and head North on 27 and look for a vacancy.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 08:41:47 PM »

Thanks Jeff....I grew up in Hollywood.  Everything is already in short supply.  I am up in Cleveland.

She has lived through a few storms, Camille being the closest but nothing compared to ground zero of a cat 5.  This thing is monster. I would not be surprised if central pressure drops below 900MB. 

My working plan now is to fly commercial into Melbourne where my father in law is located.  He has a work van and I would drive down to Hollywood, acquire lumber in route, board up the house and then wait out the storm at my Father in Law's (they don't get along adding even more drama).

I have a Cessna 210 so I can go that route but that makes boarding up the house impossible and adds rental car logistics.

Lastly I can load plywood into my truck and just make the drive, secure the townhouse and head North on 27 and look for a vacancy.

Nice!  I actually grew up just East of Cleveland before moving to Florida about 10 years ago.  I believe we have a few mutual colleagues in the Cleveland area.  I'm just North of Melbourne near the Space Center.  If you need a second van to help haul supplies just let me know - I'll be happy to help out if I can!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 09:17:22 PM »

Man, if I were you, I'd be heading down there tomorrow and pack her stuff up and get out.

There's an old Arab proverb: Trust in God, but tie up your camel. In this case, I would say, pack up your camel and head 1,000 miles inland.

With this storm, we're still 5 days out from landfall in CONUS. And we won't know if it's going to make a direct hit or stay Cat5 for two or three more days. But, by then, the roads will be so crowded by people trying to get out that it won't be a pretty picture.

Tell your mom she's not a spring chicken anymore and doesn't need to be riding out a Category 5 storm by herself, direct hit or not.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 09:20:06 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »

Man, if I were you, I'd be heading down there tomorrow and pack her stuff up and get out.

There's an old Arab proverb: Trust in God, but tie up your camel. In this case, I would say, pack up your camel and head 1,000 miles inland.

With this storm, we're still 5 days out from landfall in CONUS. And we won't know if it's going to make a direct hit or stay Cat5 for two or three more days. But, by then, the roads will be so crowded by people trying to get out that it won't be a pretty picture.

Tell your mom she's not a spring chicken anymore and doesn't need to be riding out a Category 5 storm by herself, direct hit or not.

^^^^^^  this  ^^^^^^

You only get 1 mom, Scott.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 11:09:48 PM »

Be careful of where you evacuate to, if that's what you decide.

I know of people from where I live who evacuated to the Houston area during Harvey. Vehicles got flooded. Having a hard time getting home.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 12:56:29 AM »

Be careful of where you evacuate to, if that's what you decide.

I know of people from where I live who evacuated to the Houston area during Harvey. Vehicles got flooded. Having a hard time getting home.
Yeah, and they were stupid for moving further up a coast that was still in the storm zone. They should have moved inland. Texas is a big ass state, it's not like they were running out of space. Putting another 100 miles between them and the coast would have been enough.

The geography of Florida makes it a unique challenge to evacuate at the last moment.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:00:05 AM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 01:57:11 AM »

Thanks guys....Dealing with the elderly is harder than dealing with children.  She really doesn't want to leave.

Without getting into lengthy family history my sister passed away from cancer 7 years ago. My Brother in Law is still down there.  Between the two of us we think we got through to her.  After 85 years of hearing about huge storms that never materialize rational discussions are challenging.  Mother or not you can't physically remove someone from their house.  I have been trying to get her out for years.  Dad has been gone for 14 years.

Whomever ever ends up in the path is in for a real surprise.   I was consulting for Lodestar/LeBlanc during Andrew and we had a 1400' broadcast tower carried for miles.  Homestead looked like a bomb went off.  We got a temp tower up and a translator online so the cable outlets could have a signal in about 48 hours.

Anyway back to the point.  I am wrapping things up in the morning so I can get out of here. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 08:45:10 AM »

Thanks guys....Dealing with the elderly is harder than dealing with children.  She really doesn't want to leave.

Without getting into lengthy family history my sister passed away from cancer 7 years ago. My Brother in Law is still down there.  Between the two of us we think we got through to her.  After 85 years of hearing about huge storms that never materialize rational discussions are challenging.  Mother or not you can't physically remove someone from their house.  I have been trying to get her out for years.  Dad has been gone for 14 years.

Tell her that you are taking her on a vacation to Branson to see the shows. 

Somehow people think that staying in the home somehow allows them to protect it.

Hurricanes are like a 2nd degree burn on your hand from picking up a hot cast iron skillet.  You can decide to set it down, but it is too late to grab the pot holder.  Then you realize that the pain is going to be around for many hours to come.  When will the throbbing stop?  Why didn't I just use the pot holder? This Burn Spray is not helping at all.  Finally the pain subsides, but the hand is still useless for many more days.  And somehow, we blame the skillet, because it was that hot the last time.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 08:45:10 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.