ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote antenna or remote receiver  (Read 2879 times)

Gary-Fitzpatrick

Remote antenna or remote receiver
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:52:36 PM »

Hi,

So I am in the middle of a church renovation. One part of the renovation is the provision of a PA system to cover the graveyard. The graveyard in question is across a small road from the church itself. The idea is that the graveyard system will be used for funerals and annual graveyard blessings. There will be a feed from the main church system as well as a single radio microphone.

The graveyard system is going to be controlled from the main equipment rack in the church. I had originally thought of placing a receiver in the rack, and then running antenna cables out to the graveyard. The problem is that this will be a distance of approx 120m.  Would I be better to place the receiver in a waterproof box in the graveyard and just run a xlr lead back to the main PA rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Remote antenna or remote receiver
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 11:21:44 AM »

Hi,

So I am in the middle of a church renovation. One part of the renovation is the provision of a PA system to cover the graveyard. The graveyard in question is across a small road from the church itself. The idea is that the graveyard system will be used for funerals and annual graveyard blessings. There will be a feed from the main church system as well as a single radio microphone.

The graveyard system is going to be controlled from the main equipment rack in the church. I had originally thought of placing a receiver in the rack, and then running antenna cables out to the graveyard. The problem is that this will be a distance of approx 120m.  Would I be better to place the receiver in a waterproof box in the graveyard and just run a xlr lead back to the main PA rack?

Maybe just a jack that someone can carry a pre-configured unit out there and plug into when needed -maybe even a full battery-powered unit (ENG type) so even mains power isn't required.

Although I would consider just a portable system (a self-contained cart type) -as I can picture a funeral on the opposite side of the cemetery that you've installed your speakers on so the officiant has to blast over the entire area just to be heard at the gravesite -time alignment issues aside, interments are usually private and intimate events, not a sporting match!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

David Buckley

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »

Could you put a directional receive antenna or two on the church pointed at the graveyard?

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 04:51:04 AM »

Maybe just a jack that someone can carry a pre-configured unit out there and plug into when needed -maybe even a full battery-powered unit (ENG type) so even mains power isn't required.

Although I would consider just a portable system (a self-contained cart type) -as I can picture a funeral on the opposite side of the cemetery that you've installed your speakers on so the officiant has to blast over the entire area just to be heard at the gravesite -time alignment issues aside, interments are usually private and intimate events, not a sporting match!

I think this, other than that there are plenty fiber extenders for RF that will do the job just fine, IMHO running that amount of Coaxial cable will be problematic.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 04:14:30 PM »

I think this, other than that there are plenty fiber extenders for RF that will do the job just fine, IMHO running that amount of Coaxial cable will be problematic.
Yea I'm thinking that running so much coax will be a pain so that's why I'm goin against that idea.

There are a row of trees in the way and I don't have line of sight so don't want to use directional antenna on the church itself.

Over here in Ireland internments are not as intimate as other places. It would not be uncommon for maybe 250-300 people to attend a burial hence the need for a decent PA system for burials.

On some churches where the graveyard surrounds the building I have put 15w horns around the building and this works perfect.

On the graveyard in question there are going to be some light poles going down the centre of the graveyard and the plan is to attach speakers to several of these poles. I know there will be some time alignment issues but it will be better than blasting from one end of the graveyard.

Would a wireless receiver survive in a waterproof enclosure?

Allen Heath GL2000, EV sx300 over Community pro Subs, EV s-200 monitors, Zeck amplification

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »

for $2000 you can buy 2 channels of RF over fiber from RFVenue and very efficiently remote the antennas.  You.ll need SM fiber 2 core and a couple of passive remote antennas.  not cheep but less than more RX

http://www.rfvenue.com/rf-optix-fiber-optic-conversion-system
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.