ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Install Advice  (Read 2398 times)

Josh Alamo

Install Advice
« on: September 04, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »

Hey guys,

I have been involved with home and car audio for years, but was recently asked by a friend to design and install a sound system in his commercial building and need some help with the design. 

The main room where the audio system will be installed is shown in the attacked picture.  It's roughly a 75' by 45' rectangle (disregarding the loft area) and has a 20' drop ceiling.  It is an indoor climbing and fitness center and will be playing 10 hours a day at moderate levels, but will also need to play at high levels for special events and parties that will be hosted frequently.  The building is about 2 blocks away from a college campus and will be playing all types of music, but specifically a lot of bass heavy hip-hop/dance/techno.  The budget is fairly tight at roughly $5000. but I think it should be enough to do what they need. 

So far I was thinking of using the following:

Amp for mains: (2) Crown XLI 3500's
Main Speakers: (4) DIY Sound Group Titan-615's shown in the attached picture
Subwoofer Amp: (2) Benhringer Inuke 6000DSP
Subs: (4) Eminence Definimax 4018LF, put in two separate cabinets wired in parallel  for a 4 Ohm load each

Note: I am an experienced carpenter and have built quite a few speakers for home theater and car audio, so construction is not a problem.  Also, they will most likely use this set-up for a long time/until it dies, so resale value is not a big concern.

My questions are:

1) Will this speaker/subwoofer selection and quantity  work well for my needs and the space? If not, what would you suggest?

2) Where would you locate the speakers and subwoofers in the room for the most even response?

3) What tuning frequency should be used for the subwoofer box given the music being played? 
      -I modeled Eminence's recommended cab (40HZ) and it's response had a big hump on the lower frequencies.  When I lowered
       the tuning to 32HZ however it flattened out the curve and gave me some added extension at the cost of some output.  With 4
       drivers though I don't think output will be a huge issue.

4) Is placing ports directly behind the woofer bad practice and will it change the tuning frequency?  One cabinet design I was considering had the ports directly behind the woofers, but there was >1 Diameter's distance away from the woofer's magnet.  Will this be an issue?

Any help or suggestions are really appreciated.  PM's are also welcome.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 01:45:55 PM by JosAla »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber