ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 96khz/24 bit Windows Playback  (Read 9156 times)

Chris Trupe

96khz/24 bit Windows Playback
« on: September 02, 2017, 03:46:16 PM »

I have a Focusrite Scarlett Gen 1 and would like to playback .mp3's on my laptop back via the USB out to the Scarlett that is hooked up SPIDF to a Digico SD10 running at 96khz.
Is there a Windows program that will convert the .mp3's on the fly and playback at 96/24?
Or do I have to resample all of my files to 96/24?
Yes I know I could just use the 1/8" output, but exploring staying all in the digital world.

Andrew Hollis

Re: 96khz/24 bit Windows Playback
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 05:30:42 PM »

Audio interfaces, and the SPDIF standard, only output PCM audio, therefore that is what comes out even if the source is mp3, ogg, etc.

Windows driver would resample. If ASIO you need to SRC your file first.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »

You won't get any improvemant from converting mp3s to higher res files.  It will just take up more space.  You can't get your sound quality back once you've removed it.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 12:58:18 PM »

You won't get any improvemant from converting mp3s to higher res files.  It will just take up more space.  You can't get your sound quality back once you've removed it.

Absolutely.   My guess is he's run out of analog inputs and needs this kludge to play his walk in and set change music.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Trupe

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:25:27 AM »

Not concerned with the sound quality.  Merely want to playback through the scarlett.  Don't think I can do 96/24 with windows media player, looking at using VLC.  Just was seeing if I needed to convert all my files to 96/24, or if there is any software that would upconvert on the fly so I can do my walk in playback.  Other suggestions for 96/24 walk in playback welcome!

Daniel Levi

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:06:47 AM »

I believe that in the properties for the sound card you can set the required sample rate and frequency and that is what is outputted over the S/PDIF port on the sound card, this will then be sample rate converted on the fly for audio that is a difference frequency/bit depth.
Sent from my Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »

Not concerned with the sound quality.  Merely want to playback through the scarlett.  Don't think I can do 96/24 with windows media player, looking at using VLC.  Just was seeing if I needed to convert all my files to 96/24, or if there is any software that would upconvert on the fly so I can do my walk in playback.  Other suggestions for 96/24 walk in playback welcome!

Check out foobar2000 for Windows. It's free.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

It has a number of available "plugins" that can convert and resample on-the-fly.  I have used it to both resample and save files for later use (convert to 24-bit 48 KHz for use with Yamaha digital board and DANTE), and I've also used it "live" to resample files for playback via ASIO to DANTE Virtual Soundcard.  You can create playlists in foobar2000 and there are GUI options to play each song sequentially, or play the next song, then pause and wait for you to hit spacebar to play the next.

BTW, one of the plugins available [Resampler (Sox) mod2] can be configured to convert only selected sample rates and leave others native.  This is the one I prefer for "live" playback.

To make things easier, you might also want to install ASIO4ALL for Windows.  That's a free ASIO driver.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:37:00 AM by Bill Meeks »

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 06:06:52 PM »

I have a Focusrite Scarlett Gen 1 and would like to playback .mp3's on my laptop back via the USB out to the Scarlett that is hooked up SPIDF to a Digico SD10 running at 96khz.

The SD10 (and all Digico consoles) have SRC on the AES inputs so there is no need to convert anything. You can run your computer at 44.1 or 48kHz, whatever you like.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 11:11:08 PM »

The SD10 (and all Digico consoles) have SRC on the AES inputs so there is no need to convert anything. You can run your computer at 44.1 or 48kHz, whatever you like.

Yes, this, exactly what I was going to say.  Stop worrying about the bit rate/samples, for this purpose it doesn't matter.  The thing you need to worry about is converting spdif to aes.

Chris Trupe

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 05:25:50 AM »

Yes, this, exactly what I was going to say.  Stop worrying about the bit rate/samples, for this purpose it doesn't matter.  The thing you need to worry about is converting spdif to aes.

Scarlett is clocking off of the console at 96/24.  I am 2 track recording with the Scarlett at 96/24.  So, being that everything else is 96/24, my playback needs to be 96/24 as well as the Scarlett is clocked at 96/24 from the console.  If this is all I was using the Scarlett for the yes I would SRC withe the Digico, and use the Scarlett internal clock.  But my need is to playback at 96/24.  Looking like converting my files and playback through VLC or Foobar is my best options as of now.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 09:50:21 AM »

Scarlett is clocking off of the console at 96/24.  I am 2 track recording with the Scarlett at 96/24.  So, being that everything else is 96/24, my playback needs to be 96/24 as well as the Scarlett is clocked at 96/24 from the console.  If this is all I was using the Scarlett for the yes I would SRC withe the Digico, and use the Scarlett internal clock.  But my need is to playback at 96/24.  Looking like converting my files and playback through VLC or Foobar is my best options as of now.

If you've already got the scarlet hooked up and recording then have you tried just hitting play?  Like others have said the drivers will take care of any sample rate conversion needed. I still think you're worrying about a non issue.

Chris Trupe

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 09:53:29 AM »

If you've already got the scarlet hooked up and recording then have you tried just hitting play?  Like others have said the drivers will take care of any sample rate conversion needed. I still think you're worrying about a non issue.

Yes, it is an issue.  I hit play in Windows Media, and says it can not play back to the connected device.  Thus wanting a program that will play back 96/24.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 10:19:19 AM »

Have you set your default playback device to the scarlett?
Can you hear the windows sounds?
Have you tried disabling exclusive mode?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »

Have you set your default playback device to the scarlett?
Can you hear the windows sounds?
Have you tried disabling exclusive mode?
I'm 99% sure this is what's going on. You can set Windows to use the Scarlett as the default audio device. In which case it will run at 24/96k if you have the device set to 24/96k in the Focusrite Control app. The First Gen Scarlett interfaces were all 96k capable, and I have run my Scarlett 18i20 at 96k a few times, so I know it will work.

Open up the Sound Window in Control Panel and it will give you a list of the audio devices installed/connected to your system. If you want to use Windows Media as the playback program for your Scarlett, then select it and right click and set it to Default Audio Device.

Which Scarlett interface are you using, btw?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »

Are you trying to record with the Scarlett through one program, while at the same time trying to playback with Windows Media? Because I'm not sure that will work.

Windows ASIO drivers are not
multi-client capable.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »

You just know that this is gonna require a "just get a Mac" jib on Saturday right?  ;D  More on topic, do you have a high degree of confidence that S/PDIF will work at 24/96?  It sounds to me like the SR conversion is essential for making that port work on a 24/96 console in which case I'd think the issue is not the bit or sample rate but the compression.

Yes, it is an issue.  I hit play in Windows Media, and says it can not play back to the connected device.  Thus wanting a program that will play back 96/24.

Chris Trupe

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »

You just know that this is gonna require a "just get a Mac" jib on Saturday right?  ;D  More on topic, do you have a high degree of confidence that S/PDIF will work at 24/96?  It sounds to me like the SR conversion is essential for making that port work on a 24/96 console in which case I'd think the issue is not the bit or sample rate but the compression.

I can playback a 2 track board mix in Wavelab, recorded at 96/24 in Wavelab from a previous show, and I play this back via the scarlett with no issues. SPIDF out of the scarlett to the console.  Just a little overkill to playback walkin music in Wavelab.  So, I know a 96/24 file in wavelab works, just seeing the best method to playback .mp3s, if I need to just convert them, fine, just exploring all the options.  I am recording 2 track with the scarlett, but not at the same time as playback.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »

I can playback a 2 track board mix in Wavelab, recorded at 96/24 in Wavelab from a previous show, and I play this back via the scarlett with no issues. SPIDF out of the scarlett to the console.  Just a little overkill to playback walkin music in Wavelab.  So, I know a 96/24 file in wavelab works, just seeing the best method to playback .mp3s, if I need to just convert them, fine, just exploring all the options.  I am recording 2 track with the scarlett, but not at the same time as playback.

Have you tried playing back a non 24/96 file in wavelab?  That'll tell you if your encoding is the problem or your playback software.  I don't know wavelab, but if it'll play a MP3 then try one of your files in it.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 07:02:56 AM »

hey

Use a program called J River Media player. 

https://www.jriver.com/

I first found it while searching for a PC alternative to itunes, and it does everything you'll need. All the usual iTunes like stuff of storing your library, making up playlists, autofilling track names and artists etc based on a big online music database.  (it also does this for video files, home photographs etc as well, on my big PC in the house I use it for organising and tagging every bit of media I have).

In this case, in the audio options it also lets you set a sample rate to down or up sample all your audio too if it's playing out over a digital connection. Mine just converts everything to 96k for going straight into my Midas Pro, or if I'm using a soundcraft expression that I sometimes do I change it to 48K (while the midas is pretty good at autosensing an adapting, the soundcraft can be a bit touchy).

I'm also fairly sure it'll work in the bi-directional way you're describing, as I often use the inputs of the sound card to feed into Systune/Smart, while using the outputs to play audio from J River into the PA. Long as they're both set to 96K it works great.

It also has a lot of handy options like a built in DNLA media server, or various remote control apps.

In particular I use the iPad app loads, so that once I have my iPad to desk network set up to remote control the desk as I walk about the venue, if my lappy also joins this network I can also control J River from the same iPad, changing the track playing and pausing and starting as I walk about the venue listening and adjusting system EQ etc while setting up.

K
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:07:46 AM by Kevin McDonough »

Chris Trupe

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »

I'm 99% sure this is what's going on. You can set Windows to use the Scarlett as the default audio device. In which case it will run at 24/96k if you have the device set to 24/96k in the Focusrite Control app. The First Gen Scarlett interfaces were all 96k capable, and I have run my Scarlett 18i20 at 96k a few times, so I know it will work.

Open up the Sound Window in Control Panel and it will give you a list of the audio devices installed/connected to your system. If you want to use Windows Media as the playback program for your Scarlett, then select it and right click and set it to Default Audio Device.

Which Scarlett interface are you using, btw?

Gen I Scarlett.  This was the ticket!  No need to convert files, just select Scarlett as the default device and seems like all is happy!  Can output via line out of Scarlett or SPIDF out and both options work!  Thanks so much for everyones help!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.