Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Ashly NE8800 vs Symetrix Jupiter 8

(1/3) > >>

Nathan Riddle:
Forward:

I have a church needs 8 outputs processed (monitors, delayed mains, 70v system, etc). Their old peavy processor got hit by lightning

Looked around for a cheapish solution. Both the Ashly & Symetrix look like good units and are reasonably priced.

I have installed the Ashly before and I like the unit a lot; there are a few things I wish it could do better & I think the Jupiter does, but all in all, it's a great unit. (perhaps I should write a review).

I've downloaded the Symetrix Jupiter software and it seems like it's the perfect fit for a ton of uses especially given the super reasonable pricing for an 8x8 processor with so much power configurability. What I don't like is the "app" naming of 'preset' configurations that are locked in, they have an editor to make new configurations, I wish they would just let us integrators configure the unit (utilize the DSP resources) as we see fit... I also don't like the 18mo warranty vs Ashly's five.

Edit: the Symetrix Solus 8x8 & Composer software allows for full customization of the DSP resources with only a small price increase.

Both processors will do the job.

----

Questions:

-Thoughts on the NE8800 vs Jupiter8?

-Has anyone used Symetrix stuff?
-Honestly, I hadn't heard of them before, are they good? (I might have heard about their feedback destroyer being one of the 'best')

-Does Ashly honor the warranty no matter how many 'hands' it has been exchanged to?

----

I have some options, I have a used NE8800 that I could save them money and if Ashly honors the warranty is still better than the Jupiter's warranty. On the other hand, a new Jupiter would save even more money. Both processors will do the job.

Option A1)
new $2.2k
Ashly NE8800
5-year warranty

Option A2)
used $1.5k
Ashly NE8800
5-year warranty (minus ~2yrs [unknown])

Option B1)
new $1.5k
Jupiter 8
1.5-year warranty 3-year
http://www.symetrix.co/support/knowledge-base/?faq_id=5102

Option D)
new 1.8k
Solus 8x8
3-year warranty

duane massey:
I have installed a far amount of Jupiter units, and have had zero issues, other than a glitch when someone else upgraded the firmware. Symetrix tech support was immediate via phone, even on a weekend.
Sounds good, not easy for a visiting sound guy to mess with, very cost-effective.

Nathan Riddle:

--- Quote from: duane massey on September 01, 2017, 08:18:18 PM ---I have installed a far amount of Jupiter units, and have had zero issues, other than a glitch when someone else upgraded the firmware. Symetrix tech support was immediate via phone, even on a weekend.
Sounds good, not easy for a visiting sound guy to mess with, very cost-effective.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, that's kinda what I wanted to hear; a nod in Symetrix's direction.

Other than the 3vs5yr warranty and no iPad/phone app seems like a great little DSP system.

I'm reading the help in their software, fantastic tool, very thorough. I think this might be my new most cost-effective solution for a lot of scenarios.

Caleb Dueck:
We have used a bunch of Symetrix over the years.  While not as powerful as QSys, it's reliable and great for speaker processing.  The Prism seems to be the sweet spot, with Dante and the software is not limited to apps. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Lee Buckalew:

--- Quote from: Nathan Riddle on September 01, 2017, 06:25:17 PM ---Forward:

I have a church needs 8 outputs processed (monitors, delayed mains, 70v system, etc). Their old peavy processor got hit by lightning

Looked around for a cheapish solution. Both the Ashly & Symetrix look like good units and are reasonably priced.

I have installed the Ashly before and I like the unit a lot; there are a few things I wish it could do better & I think the Jupiter does, but all in all, it's a great unit. (perhaps I should write a review).

I've downloaded the Symetrix Jupiter software and it seems like it's the perfect fit for a ton of uses especially given the super reasonable pricing for an 8x8 processor with so much power configurability. What I don't like is the "app" naming of 'preset' configurations that are locked in, they have an editor to make new configurations, I wish they would just let us integrators configure the unit (utilize the DSP resources) as we see fit... I also don't like the 18mo warranty vs Ashly's five.

Edit: the Symetrix Solus 8x8 & Composer software allows for full customization of the DSP resources with only a small price increase.

Both processors will do the job.

----

Questions:

-Thoughts on the NE8800 vs Jupiter8?

-Has anyone used Symetrix stuff?
-Honestly, I hadn't heard of them before, are they good? (I might have heard about their feedback destroyer being one of the 'best')

-Does Ashly honor the warranty no matter how many 'hands' it has been exchanged to?

----

I have some options, I have a used NE8800 that I could save them money and if Ashly honors the warranty is still better than the Jupiter's warranty. On the other hand, a new Jupiter would save even more money. Both processors will do the job.

Option A1)
new $2.2k
Ashly NE8800
5-year warranty

Option A2)
used $1.5k
Ashly NE8800
5-year warranty (minus ~2yrs [unknown])

Option B1)
new $1.5k
Jupiter 8
1.5-year warranty 3-year
http://www.symetrix.co/support/knowledge-base/?faq_id=5102

Option D)
new 1.8k
Solus 8x8
3-year warranty

--- End quote ---

If you have well controlled temperature then the Symetrix can work very well.  They do have very low maximum ambient operating temperature ratings (86 degrees Fahrenheit) and we have had significant issues with them in arenas and some other venues after a few years, Ashly and BSS just seem to keep working.  We have quite a few customers who are just now replacing first generation, greenface BSS Soundweb.  Most of those are 15 or more years old at this point. 

Ashly NE series has the highest maximum ambient operating temperature ratings that I have found, 120 degrees Fahrenheit.  It is quite a bit more limited in capability/flexibility than either Symetrix or BSS while QSYS probably has the greatest capability going right now in terms of programming and control capability.  In my experience Ashly has the best phone support of any of the DSP manufacturers that I have dealt with. 

BSS is rated at 95 degrees Fahrenheit maximum. 

I don't know the temp for QSYS, have yet to need to find it.

The BSS BLU-100 would also fit into a similar price range to other options that you listed above. 

Lee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version