ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QU-32 gain structure  (Read 4865 times)

Stephen Swaffer

QU-32 gain structure
« on: September 01, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »

I've set up quite a few wireless mics over the years.  Just swapped out a Shure XLS lavalier system on our QU-32.  Generally, I leave the level at factory presets and just adjust the pre-amp gain. I had a very "tinny" sound-like too much high end.  Noticed just a bit of clipping, so I started backing down the gain-but had to drop it 20 db give or take and get the meter to where it never even went yellow then the sound cleaned up tremendously.

I was of the mindset that if I wasn't in the red, digital should be fine.  What gives?
Steve Swaffer

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: QU-32 gain structure
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 12:57:37 PM »

I've set up quite a few wireless mics over the years.  Just swapped out a Shure XLS lavalier system on our QU-32.  Generally, I leave the level at factory presets and just adjust the pre-amp gain. I had a very "tinny" sound-like too much high end.  Noticed just a bit of clipping, so I started backing down the gain-but had to drop it 20 db give or take and get the meter to where it never even went yellow then the sound cleaned up tremendously.

I was of the mindset that if I wasn't in the red, digital should be fine.  What gives?

I'd check the TX sensitivity setting.

From the manual:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 01:00:13 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »

Is it pegging out the compressor on that channel? Maybe someone screwed with it when you weren't looking.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »

Yeah, the meter pick-off point doesn't show on my screen shot, but it's POST channel processing and PRE mute and fader, so is affected by comp settings.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »

Yeah, the meter pick-off point doesn't show on my screen shot, but it's POST channel processing and PRE mute and fader, so is affected by comp settings.

There are multiple software meters in the channel strip tabs though. He didn't indicate which one he was looking at. I typically look at the one on the input tab when setting gain which most likely is only post-gain.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 03:44:43 PM »

There are multiple software meters in the channel strip tabs though. He didn't indicate which one he was looking at. I typically look at the one on the input tab when setting gain which most likely is only post-gain.

Right.  Doesn't show it on the manual block diagram and I don't have the schematic but it makes sense if you think about it...

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »

Which is where I was at.  Compression looked normal-at least the way I usually run it which is set to only start compressing if they raise their voice.

I'll double check tomorrow-but it's sounding good and tomorrow is a wedding so I probably won't experiment til later!
Steve Swaffer

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »

Just a follow up-seems like things are never as cut and dried as they seem.  I would up switching the gain switch on the Shure TX from "Mic" back to "0".  I assumed it should be on mic since I was using a Shure MX150 lavalier supplied with the system.  I did that, then turned the channel preamp gain back up roughly 20 db and it sounded good.  We thought we were hearing a little distortion with the switch set on "mic".  Guess I don't understand how turning the pre-amp gain down sounded better if the distortion/clipping was happening in the transmitter.
Steve Swaffer

Scott Helmke

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 10:52:07 AM »

Just a follow up-seems like things are never as cut and dried as they seem.  I would up switching the gain switch on the Shure TX from "Mic" back to "0".  I assumed it should be on mic since I was using a Shure MX150 lavalier supplied with the system.  I did that, then turned the channel preamp gain back up roughly 20 db and it sounded good.  We thought we were hearing a little distortion with the switch set on "mic".  Guess I don't understand how turning the pre-amp gain down sounded better if the distortion/clipping was happening in the transmitter.

Gain needs depends on how you're using it, which is where the switch comes in handy.

And it's really only a gain switch, since the mic bias power is provided on a different pin and is always on.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 10:52:07 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.