Midas M32R vs Soundcraft SI Impact

Midas M32R
- 19 (55.9%)
SI Impact
- 15 (44.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: September 08, 2017, 11:53:36 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32R vs Soundcraft SI Impact  (Read 25725 times)

John Schalk

Re: Midas M32R vs Soundcraft SI Impact
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »

I own a Performer 2 and mix regularly on an M32.  In my opinion, the feature set of the X32/M32 consoles greatly exceeds what I have in my Soundcraft.  Another thing to consider is how common the X & M consoles have become.  If you mix on other systems very often, you would be well served by becoming very familiar with the Behringer's workflow.  Here's a link to some more detailed comments I posted on my console.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,159454.msg1465449.html#msg1465449

I find my Performer very hard to use in direct sunlight, so if you work outdoors very often you should really try to rent one and see if you can work on it in daylight (I don't like mixing under a canopy.)  The Midas is just fine in direct sunlight.  There is another fairly recent thread on this exact topic (which I couldn't find) and the OP bought an M32R.  The Impact does give you more faders on the top layer, but I find that the 8 DCAs on the Midas are enough for me.  I do like the any fader/any input feature of my Soundcraft, but other than letting me get the drums on the top layer, I don't miss it with the Midas. 

Edit to add --

I just mixed outdoors on an X32 on Saturday (a house PA) and then on an M32 on Sunday (my band's rig).  The X32 was very hard to use in direct sunlight, but the M32 was decent.  I think a lot of it has to do with the angle of the screen on the M32 and maybe the contrast with the black work surface.  FWIW -- the band said that their In Ear mixes sounded much better on our Midas, so maybe there is some truth to the mic pres being better?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:51:43 PM by John Schalk »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 10:08:28 PM »

Yes, and 16 is still less than 24...?

Forgot to mention the Touch Screen on the Soundcraft.  I often catch myself punching the M32's screen, to no avail.

Dave

Do you absolutely need immediate access to 24 faders all the time?  The are multiple touring acts using Pro 1 or Pro2C with only 8 input faders on top.

So far I've not mixed a show (well, in this decade) where I was unable to serve my client or performers properly due to having 16 input faders, whether X32, M32 or Avid SC48.  I understand if you are accustomed to having more, as was I, but have found that Pop Groups (Midas Pro), custom layers (X, M and Yamaha) or Group/DCA/VCA spill allow me quick access to the things I need.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 12:10:00 AM »

Do you absolutely need immediate access to 24 faders all the time?  The are multiple touring acts using Pro 1 or Pro2C with only 8 input faders on top.

So far I've not mixed a show (well, in this decade) where I was unable to serve my client or performers properly due to having 16 input faders, whether X32, M32 or Avid SC48.  I understand if you are accustomed to having more, as was I, but have found that Pop Groups (Midas Pro), custom layers (X, M and Yamaha) or Group/DCA/VCA spill allow me quick access to the things I need.

Which is what you move up to with a Performer, if the OP wants to go to that expense. My Performer 1 is, as always, mounted in a slant top rack and has been expanded to 48 channels of I/O, and 32 channels of recording. I don't care about the wireless app, but that works fine for the type of basic things you will do when walking around the room.

What Soundcraft has done very, very well is allow for channel movement via a single button push. You can customize the layers to no end. I found this to be invaluable after recently purchasing a 32R stage box from Steve Hurt recently. I customized 4 layers in minutes moving all of my logical groupings, inserting and renaming channels, plus copying all settings as needed. Literally, 20 minutes to add 32 channels and customize all 48 channels.

Working between lays is really a no brainer ........ With scribble strips and fader glow.

And all thanks to Tim and my other buddies pushing me into digital. Thanks again guys.

By the way, Steve sent me a 25 foot cable with the stage box. Special cable, all the good connectors, etc.. Out of curiosity I pulled a 200' cable out of my truck and plugged it in. It's a quality cable, but nothing more than RJ-45's on each end. No glitches, pops, crackles or other issues at all. Perfect sync, and perfect sound. I'll put the performer up against any board in it's class.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Art Nadelman

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 08:35:27 AM »

Working between lays is really a no brainer ........ With scribble strips and fader glow.

I want your job, Bob!

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »

I've got it narrowed down to these two consoles and I wanted to get the opinions of the professionals here in the LAB, pro and con, regarding these choices. I've worked on analog versions of both and liked them both, though I'm shading a little towards the Midas. I'm currently doing small club shows with a Presonus SL16.4.2. This board has served well, but I feel it's time for an upgrade. However, getting something new would violate my prime directive," if it's not broke, don't fix it." and would not put any more $$$ in my pocket. I think I just me wanting something new. If I were to "pull the trigger", I need some food for thought. Thanks

John

I can't comment on the Soundcraft other than a friend has one and finds the APP almost useless.  I switched from a Yamaha 01v96 to a Midas M32r and haven't pulled the yamaha out at all.
It works great and was easy to figure out / get used to.
No complaints at all. Of course it works with all the X-32 and Midas stage boxes and systems. I see a SD card recording card to go in the slot in back will soon be released.
I also just added a DL16 stage box and it is a great device for adding channels when mixing from side of stage or 16 and under channel counts when mixing in the back of a room. I see another soon in my future.

Douglas R. Allen

Thread here.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,163234.0.html

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »

Do I, personally?  Not necessarily.  But, if I had my druthers, I'd like all digital consoles to be like the M7 (48 input faders & mutes on the surface).

That comment came more from the perspective of a House of Worship with (often) volunteer operators.  I've been running on an M32 (16 / 8 fader banks) and the way it's set up, one still has to flip layers to get to everything.  Not unworkable - just not ideal for newbies.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 10:38:41 AM »

That would be a wonderful thing Dave, but the costs would rise to a point where many people couldn't justify the purchase. It all adds up.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »

Do I, personally?  Not necessarily.  But, if I had my druthers, I'd like all digital consoles to be like the M7 (48 input faders & mutes on the surface).

That comment came more from the perspective of a House of Worship with (often) volunteer operators.  I've been running on an M32 (16 / 8 fader banks) and the way it's set up, one still has to flip layers to get to everything.  Not unworkable - just not ideal for newbies.

Dave

And if that paradigm was desired, all mixers would look kind of like the M7, but they dont..

The folks that have layer issues are old folks like me.. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mal Brown

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 02:56:26 PM »

I moved from a 16.4.2 to an SI 3.  Love it.  It has the most analog workflow of any digital board I've been on.  The routing is easy and flexible - leverage the Matrix mixes ...  the channel strip is superb.  The board just sounds great.  In conjunction with the 32x12 mini stage box, man.  It is one heck of a rig.

The remote app is useful for ringing out a stage, setting monitor mixes up close, doing some basic level setting.  It is definitely the weak link in the system.  Hopefully they will do better.

I've played about with a X32.  Didn't care for it.  Channel strip is harsh to my ear so I seemed to have to spend eq warming it up... to each his own but the SC channel strip seems to be where my ears want it to be right out of the box.  The routing rated as very flexible also seemed confusing... 

My personal board at the moment  is a Mackie dl-1608.  Mackie's app is amazing.  I'm ready to upgrade.  The boards I'm most focused on are
1. Si Expression 1. - form factor.  My band plays a lot of lounge, restaurant gigs where space is at a premium.  (For me - will integrate with the Si3 and stage box to give me a side stage monitor position. That is a large draw.)

2. The SI Impact - more faders, same integration possibilities

3. UI 24 .  Small format, interesting support concept for the software. I'm already mixing from glass...   Lack of integration.   Cheaper...

4. Mackie dl-32r.  Format, their software rocks and I already know it, cheaper.  Sound quality is acceptable though not as sweet as the SI exp.

That side stage monitor position sure looks pro...  if it drives more revenue, higher profile gigs then the decision is a lot easier.  I'm a long way from any rental source for an SI board.  At least an hour each way...

To date nobody I have serviced need to rent a board from me.  Mostly they come with X32 variants.  So I don't see a rental revenue stream for X or M in my area.

For perspective...

Like many of us I'm pretty sure, I describe myself as a tweener...  I have a day gig, play in a band and own/operate a sound co.  So I'm kind of in between the Lounge and Classic forums on this page.  I'm hoping to transition to full time in 3 years...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »

And if that paradigm was desired, all mixers would look kind of like the M7, but they dont..

The folks that have layer issues are old folks like me.. ;)

The issues I had with my LS9 got solved with the GLD. Scribble strips & layers per bank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.