ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assign fixed IP to a Behringer XR18?  (Read 8897 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Assign fixed IP to a Behringer XR18?
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »

I've found that assigning fixed IPs to the Behringer x32s allows a wifi search to connect much more quickly than using DHCP and the consoles 'seem' to stay connected to the wifi longer before dropping out and needing to be reconnected.  I've assigned IPs in the same range as the Yamaha consoles so that the computers can use similar wifi settings. 

I have not been able to get the XR18s to accept a fixed IP however.  The network set up user interface is somewhat different what with the built in wifi but even when trying to connect directly to the XR18 with a cable from a computer, a cable from a switch port on an external wifi router or via wifi from an external wifi router I can't get the XR18 to work except on DHCP.  Has anyone gotten this to work and if so how did you accomplish it?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Assign fixed IP to a Behringer XR18?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »

I've found that assigning fixed IPs to the Behringer x32s allows a wifi search to connect much more quickly than using DHCP and the consoles 'seem' to stay connected to the wifi longer before dropping out and needing to be reconnected.  I've assigned IPs in the same range as the Yamaha consoles so that the computers can use similar wifi settings. 

I have not been able to get the XR18s to accept a fixed IP however.  The network set up user interface is somewhat different what with the built in wifi but even when trying to connect directly to the XR18 with a cable from a computer, a cable from a switch port on an external wifi router or via wifi from an external wifi router I can't get the XR18 to work except on DHCP.  Has anyone gotten this to work and if so how did you accomplish it?

Okay, i'm assuming you're using a Mac.  'Cause you're smart that way.

You should be able to connect your mac directly to the hardwire port on the XR18 and both will get a self assigned IP.  Once that's happened you should be able to get the software to connect by doing a scan for the XR18 if it doesn't just shop up immediately.

Once you've done that, you should be able to go to Setup and then the LAN tab and set a static IP.  Then if you set your Mac to a static IP in the same subnet it should reconnect.

If this is exactly what you've done already, feel free to roll your eyes and reply...  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »

Hi Brian, getting off on the right foot.  ::)

Yea, that's pretty much how it's worked with the x32s but the xr18s aren't having it.  I also have an IP scanning app the shows the XR on the network but not with the assigned ip. It stays stuck on the original self assigned ip in the 224.0.0.xxx range. Worse yet the XR will not respond to any further attempts to connect with DHCP once a fixed ip is entered even if it's deleted.

Now this is a clear case a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  I know that the Yamahas will show up with the designated ip in the ip scanner app but it's not clear to me that this is true of all gear that shows up on the list so I'm not sure that this persistent original ip is what the mixer (hard to call these things mixers ) really set to but the fixed ip assigned in the xr18'editor LAN page never shows up in the scanner app thus my questions.  I usually hit up YouTube for this sort of thing but the only vid that addresses fixed IPs for the XR series is in Thai.   :-\

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 12:10:13 AM »

Really?

Choosing who is supplying the IP address somehow affects how long until the connection fails?

The connection should not fail.

The problem is somewhere else!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 09:44:52 AM »

That part is just as likely placebo effect thus the 'seems'. Reaquiring connection more quickly when using a fixed IP is just as important if not more so.

Really?

Choosing who is supplying the IP address somehow affects how long until the connection fails?

The connection should not fail.

The problem is somewhere else!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »

It is Behringer, Not all network programs are fully implemented from the X32 down to the XR.  We will not know what part of the OSI Layers are working and what has changed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.