ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you encourage your offspring to get into this industry?  (Read 6270 times)

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: Would you encourage your offspring to get into this industry?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 06:12:20 PM »

I ask because I have a 13 y.o. son that helps me with shows that are appropriate for him to be on...

... Should I encourage him to keep at it?  As a career?  Steer him away as fast as I can? 

I'll pass along the same advice my father gave me when I decided to get a music performance degree on Trumpet...damm you Maynard Ferguson...'Do what you love, however make sure you can support yourself and your family.'  Best advice I ever got from the smartest, best man I have ever know.  I also have the following degrees: BS in Computer Science, Masters in Business Administration and Masters in Information Systems all paid for by performing.  What do I do now that my kids have grown after a career as a Certified System Architect with IBM...run a mixing console for a living...life is very good.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Robert Healey

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 06:44:23 PM »

I ask because I have a 13 y.o. son that helps me with shows that are appropriate for him to be on.

Having production skills could help get him a pretty decent job (for a teenager) in college, even if he studies something else. Almost every university hires student employees for on-campus production or as technicians at a performing arts center. IMO pushing cases would beat making minimum wage washing dishes at the dining hall...

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »

Well, i guess it depends on the definition of 'great living'.  I don't have several boats, fancy expensive cars, or a vacation home. But i make a very comfortable living and have for several decades.  And i don't own anything more than a few sharpies and a good set of headphones.

Of course that's largely because i got the itch to do music shows out of my system in my 20's and moved over to the corporate world.  The content isn't thrilling, but the paychecks are pretty good.  And the camaraderie i've experienced in this industry is hard to match elsewhere.  When the "show must go on" no matter what, you tend to build some deep lasting relationships "in the trenches".

To answer the OP's question though.  I think it would depend on my kid and how passionate they were about getting into this industry.  I do think that the young person that has a family member in the biz that can get a leg up on others through actual on the job training has some real potential to make a good life in this industry.  But it requires a certain personality as well as a very particular set of skills, including Very Good People Skills to really have a successful career.  There aren't that many folks who really fit the bill.

i do Strongly Agree that the best path right now to a secure financial future for most young people is in the Skilled Labor Field.  It's a travesty what this culture has done to young people ingraining in them this mistaken belief that the only path to success in life is through a College Degree.  4 years of apprenticeship in almost any trade is gonna get you a solid, good paying position somewhere with the potential to eventually start your own business or whatever.  Meanwhile, your college graduate peer is gonna be 4 years behind you and $100,000 in debt...

Spot on. I have three young boys. I plan to not push them toward or away from any career choice but to focus more on developing the intangibles that will make them successful wherever they go. I feel like most industries bitch about overworked and under appreciated, but really I think if you develop the skills and more importantly the work ethic, hustle and willingness to do what is right there is opportunity. I don't have any problem with my boys getting into this line of work. Now, I would strongly discourage life as a bar tech, but that's not really a career IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 03:26:49 AM »

My son encouraged me to get back into it.  He helps me out now. It's not going to be a full time career for him though.  He is going to be a paramedic.

Steve.

Gus Housen

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 08:44:51 PM »

This has been a rough and tough life its cost endless relationships, is very physical and is full of weirdo's and con men.
On the other hand I have met some of the most interesting people and people who believe a deal is a deal.

But no
"Moma dont let your babies grow up to be Sound people
Dont let them buy mixers or heavy speakers
make them be doctors and lawers and such

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 06:57:09 PM »

My son?  I have no idea what he would have a love for.
How many people would love over the road truck driving?
What it comes down to is people in this field love what they are doing.
I think that is bottom line.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 06:57:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.