ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Venue SPL Measurement System  (Read 7768 times)

Gary Green

Venue SPL Measurement System
« on: August 23, 2017, 04:36:55 PM »

Just canvasing you guys for recommendations for an "installed SPL Measurement system" for my theater. It would be a case where a remote microphone ( front of balcony ) w/ display at mix position.
Handheld meter- is not what my boss want.
Thanks in advance!
GG

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Venue SPL Measurement System
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 06:01:59 PM »

You can set up a calibrated measurement mic anywhere you want, and cable it back to an audio interface and Smaart system at FOH.

I'm sure there is some sort of SPL meter which has an XLR input, but haven't seen one. I bet they would be expensive, since they would be a laboratory type measurement/calibration system. The handheld ones are all that I've seen.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Martin Morris

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »

Just canvasing you guys for recommendations for an "installed SPL Measurement system" for my theater. It would be a case where a remote microphone ( front of balcony ) w/ display at mix position.
Handheld meter- is not what my boss want.
Thanks in advance!
GG

https://www.10eazy.com/

http://www.rationalacoustics.com/store/10eazy.html
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:56:46 PM »

You can set up a calibrated measurement mic anywhere you want, and cable it back to an audio interface and Smaart system at FOH.

I'm sure there is some sort of SPL meter which has an XLR input, but haven't seen one. I bet they would be expensive, since they would be a laboratory type measurement/calibration system. The handheld ones are all that I've seen.
The problem with using Smaart (or any other type system) is that it is easy to "change the calibration" and make the numbers anything you want.

I like to "recalibrate" my rig when doing gigs, so that it displays SPL in the 170-180dB range.  Just for fun and messing with people.

He needs a system that does not have any "user adjustable controls".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 09:35:23 PM »

The problem with using Smaart (or any other type system) is that it is easy to "change the calibration" and make the numbers anything you want.

I like to "recalibrate" my rig when doing gigs, so that it displays SPL in the 170-180dB range.  Just for fun and messing with people.

He needs a system that does not have any "user adjustable controls".

Use a Smaart IO then.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Simon Lewis

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 05:16:26 AM »

Smaart is useful, but 10EaZy (link above) is dedicated to not only measuring event sound levels, but providing helpful information to manage and maximise levels without breaking environmental limits.

The maximum average manager readout allows you see how much your present SPL is affecting the long term Leq (which most event limits are described in - at least in UK/EU). There is a downloadable demo available here: https://www.10eazy.com/downloads

The other device that might be worth considering is the Neutrik XL2. In its basic form it's a well specified hand held sound level meter, but it can be expanded to provide readout screens, remote management etc., so fulfilling the brief. See http://www.nti-audio.com/en/products/xl2-sound-level-meter/accessories.aspx

However, from an engineer's perspective (rather than Environmental Health Enforcement) I would use 10EaZy.

James Cotton

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 06:52:19 AM »

I'm sure there is some sort of SPL meter which has an XLR input, but haven't seen one.

This would fit the bill, not rackmounted but separate XLR connected measurement mic, can be bought as a calibrated package with either a 1/4" or 1/2" mic.
The packaged mics hold calibration data in the mic which is read by the analyser over the XLR cable (although you do need a slightly modified cable for the data connection to work, starquad with an interesting wiring scheme but still normal 3 pole XLRs).
Does all the usual measurements, Leq and more, in fact it's much more than just an SPL meter but that can only be a good thing.
Expensive? depends on your viewpoint. It's not a Radio Shack cheapie but it's not tens of thousands either.

Made by NTI which used to be a part of Neutrik (Neutrik Test Instruments I believe)

http://www.nti-audio.com/en/products/xl2-sound-level-meter.aspx

James Cotton

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 06:54:04 AM »

The other device that might be worth considering is the Neutrik XL2.

Looks like Simon beat me to the post button  :D

Geert Friedhof

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 07:18:25 AM »

Use a Smaart IO then.
But you can still change the calibration levels to make it anything you want (via software)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 07:18:25 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.