ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advantages of JBL AE series.  (Read 5742 times)

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
Advantages of JBL AE series.
« on: August 23, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »

Hello all!

The AE series loudspeakers retail higher than similar products in the live sound catalog.

My interest remains with the AM7315 vs SRX835.
The AE series has macros for soundweb london devices, which will be used, but not implemented yet in Audio architect (forcing use of London Architect). The SRX835 has presets for the Xti amps, biamp or ITHD, passive and biamped (???)

If the extensive rigging options of the AE series are not required,do they hold their own against other similar options within the JBL line ?

Thank you all for your time.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:48:05 PM by Nitin Sidhu »
My RTA is always flat.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Advantages of JBL AE series.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »

Not to steer you in a different direction because you said compare only JBL, but I'd have a look at the Martin Audio CDD series. Personally, I think they are a better (price, better coverage, sound 'better') choice for most applications.

I have mixed on both an installed AE series system and use the SRX835's for my live sound side.

I mix HOW music (cont, loud/punchy).

I have not compared side by side.

Personally, I don't like the AE installed series compared to the SRX. I think my SRX sound better, I believe that is the FIR processing.

If you had AE with FIR, maybe they'd sound better.

Note: i'm not exactly sure which series of AE is installed in the venue. Also, I don't think they get very loud??
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:48:27 PM »

Hello all!

The AE series loudspeakers retail higher than similar products in the live sound catalog.

The AE series has macros for soundweb london devices, which will be used, but not implemented yet in Audio architect (forcing use of London Architect). The SRX835 has presets for the Xti amps, biamp or ITHD, passive and biamped (???)

If the extensive rigging options of the AE series are not required,do they hold their own against other similar options within the JBL line ?

As Nathan mentioned, give Martin Audio CDD a listen if you can.

That said, for JBL AE series the ITech HD amps have better presets available for AE series than the London Architect has, IMO.
The CDi Drivecore should have presets available at some point but I think they are doing Control first then AE Compact, then AE.  I don't know a timeline.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 03:21:27 AM »

Thank you guys!
Better or for worse, I have a good distributor relationship with Harman. And with after sales support network in this country, I will be sticking with them.
For what its worth, I get to regularly work on some Martin speakers, and they are very good. And this impression from the older Blackline series.

Will give it a thought.

Regards,
Sidhu
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:35:32 PM by Nitin Sidhu »
My RTA is always flat.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »

Hello all!

The AE box has a different compression midrange device and a different horn lens.  The mid/high assembly is closer to the VTX F35 than the SRX. 

However more evolved the mid/high device may be, it still needs effective software to be maximized and it sounds like the SRX (being more of a higher-volume commodity product) may have had the better R&D invested in it.

Which is a shame as I always advocate an install-specific box over portable PA products when it comes to a permanent install. 
(-Touring boxes not so much, so perhaps take a look at that VTX F35.)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Robert Healey

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 03:58:57 PM »

That said, for JBL AE series the ITech HD amps have better presets available for AE series than the London Architect has, IMO.
The CDi Drivecore should have presets available at some point but I think they are doing Control first then AE Compact, then AE.  I don't know a timeline.

Lee

Can you elaborate a bit - are you saying that the AE Series EQ presets in the BSS Soundweb London and the Crown amplifiers are different?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 04:08:28 PM »

The possibilities of FIR presets inside a dated Soundweb London Macro are very slim.  The presets for the crown stuff do say if they are FIR or not. For install products, JBL has a history of creating presets when the box is released, and never touching them again.  I heard recently this was to be changing though, possibly with the release of their CDi line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 08:19:09 PM »

Can you elaborate a bit - are you saying that the AE Series EQ presets in the BSS Soundweb London and the Crown amplifiers are different?

Perhaps I should say "may" have better presets as I have not used them all.  In my experience the more recent presets of the HD series amps, much more recent than anything in London Architect, are much better sounding presets.  When it comes to anything with v5 preset availability those can't even be done in a Soundweb, not with Audio Architect or London Architect. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 08:43:59 PM »

When it comes to anything with v5 preset availability those can't even be done in a Soundweb, not with Audio Architect or London Architect. 

Lee

Sorry Lee. I'm going to have to call you out on this one. Why can't they? The Soundweb London box can do way more taps then anything crown.  The only thing an iTechHD can do that a Soundweb London cannot do natively is sidechain limiting. It's not that it can't be done, it's that the powers that be have chosen for it to not be done.

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 10:11:05 PM »

Sorry Lee. I'm going to have to call you out on this one. Why can't they? The Soundweb London box can do way more taps then anything crown.  The only thing an iTechHD can do that a Soundweb London cannot do natively is sidechain limiting. It's not that it can't be done, it's that the powers that be have chosen for it to not be done.

O.k., perhaps poorly stated on my part.  It's been very hectic lately and I did not take the time to answer as thoroughly as I should have.

The factory v5 presets are not available (so can't be implemented) outside of the iTech HD or the built in DrivePack modules where available.   
They probably could be created by someone willing to take the time to measure what the amps processing is doing, I am not aware of any limitation of the BSS vs. the iTech HD that would prohibit this. 

Why Crown/JBL/BSS offer only certain speaker line presets and certain versions with certain amp modules I can't answer.

But, if you want to roll your own settings then you certainly could utilize BSS but, if you want to be able to call up the newest factory presets (and not every JBL box has even remotely "new" factory presets) then in most cases for Harman you need to choose which Crown amplifier or DrivePack offers the most recent tunings.

It does seem that they have been listening though and are going to be offering many tunings encompassing multiple models/series in the CDi Drivecore range.

Better explanation?

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 10:11:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.