ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Off by 1/2 db?  (Read 12780 times)

Dennis Wiggins

Re: Off by 1/2 db?
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 05:15:16 PM »

Nobody ever bought a record because of the snare sound, at least anyone with music in them. 

If Phil Collins only knew how many I didn't buy because of his "snare"!   ;D

Here is how to ruin a snare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6L_BG0Qhg0

-Dennis
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 05:18:16 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2017, 05:38:39 PM »

I have offered my "help" to some - but always at a break in the action and always after asking if they have a minute or two, introducing myself, and asking permission to make my case.  Only then I'll explain what it was that I heard, what I would suggest changing, and asking permission.  If given the controls, I will change only enough to correct what I think was wrong - not a touch more. 

Now, I would only consider this for a lower-lounge-level gig or someone self-mixing. 

If they accept my unsolicited advice great.  If they blow me off, I fully understand. If they tell me to f^&* off, I have to be prepared for that as well. Say I'm sorry, and go away quietly.  After all, I am the one intruding on their space and criticizing their work.  They are taking a risk listening to you, let alone acting on that information.

As I know how intrusive and offensive offering unsolicited advice can be, I very rarely offer.  As a general rule, it's a bad idea, no matter how good you think you are, or however bad the mix.  It is a high risk, low reward endeavor.

Many of you are in far better position to offer advice than I, and as such, you've determined your own boundaries.  As with most things in life, approach and presentation can make all the difference.  Unless your name and creds proceed you, you're just another water-bag in the hall.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »

1) A few years ago, at a street festival, I cautioned the FOH guy that the stage left top boxes were vibrating across the subs and about to come crashing down off the mobile stage onto pavement (or patrons).

There is never an excuse for not strapping tops to the subs.. Ever

Jay Marr

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2017, 09:00:31 PM »

Chris and I always disagree a little on snare sound. I like a crisp rich crack and he likes it to sound more like a trash can lid with lots of thwang!!!!

This is exactly why I generally do not take, or give advice, on someones mix.
People like different tones/mixes.

I was playing a gig and had a friend (who's an engineer) say - hey, the kick doesn't sound natural, can I eq it a little?  I said sure (as he provides tech for some big name national acts).
After he tweaked it, I walked out front and thought it sounded like a bag of sh*t.   It sounded honky and actually started feeding back based on how gross the eq curve was. 
Lesson learned.  Nobody touches my iPad.

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »

We had a new singer start.  At rehearsal she told me how experienced she was and that she would come out front while singing and tell me what needs to be adjusted to make her sound good.  I replied that it's not my job to make her sound good,  it's my job to not make her sound any worse.  I encouraged her to come out and engage the crowd, and that I knew what I was doing.  First gig she came out, gave me a thumbs up.

She actually is a pretty good singer, so my job was done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2017, 09:23:07 PM »

Oh, and I can't stand that 'thwang'.  Which our drummer loves. Oh well..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John J.R. Bogle

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2017, 11:20:57 PM »

There is never an excuse for not strapping tops to the subs.. Ever

Another trick is to put a sheet of that non slip rubbery mat under the mid/hi boxes (that product you buy line your kitchen drawers with). Strapping is probably the best wat though. Agreed they should not be able to "walk'.

Back to the OT: I'll listen to advice and take it into consideration. Rarely do I act on it (hey, I've been known to miss things). This always depends on the situation of course.

I almost never give advice. I'm not in that person's shoes, I don't know all of the factors they're up against and I'm not getting paid (it's their gig). If I think the sound was phenomenal I might tell them at some point. Otherwise I know I don't know exactly what that gig involves (acoustic issues, personalities on stage etc....etc.....). I say nothing because in the worst case, I've probably been there :).

Travis Watson

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2017, 12:38:05 AM »

I was at this show with my daughter, don't remember the names of the bands. I was on the right side of center and I kept thinking it just wasn't right. After a while I made my way to the other side and it sounded better. Went back to the right side listened a bit and made my way over to FOH. It was pretty far back and left of center. I watched for a bit then I motioned for one of the guys to come over. I told him the highs on the right side stack weren't on. Well that got a laugh and they all snickered or what ever at me. So I said to him again, well y'all can think what you want I've done this once or twice and I'm just sayin the highs aint on. Few minuets later one of the guys runs off to the right side stands there a min then disappears back stage. Shortly after that you could hear the other side wake up. He comes back after a bit and says something wasn't plugged in. Not sure if I ever got a thanks 

Travis Watson
Laguna Sound

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2017, 01:03:27 AM »

I was at this show with my daughter, don't remember the names of the bands. I was on the right side of center and I kept thinking it just wasn't right. After a while I made my way to the other side and it sounded better. Went back to the right side listened a bit and made my way over to FOH. It was pretty far back and left of center. I watched for a bit then I motioned for one of the guys to come over. I told him the highs on the right side stack weren't on. Well that got a laugh and they all snickered or what ever at me. So I said to him again, well y'all can think what you want I've done this once or twice and I'm just sayin the highs aint on. Few minuets later one of the guys runs off to the right side stands there a min then disappears back stage. Shortly after that you could hear the other side wake up. He comes back after a bit and says something wasn't plugged in. Not sure if I ever got a thanks

Making somebody look like an idiot usually is a thankless job. 

I remember being at a gig and I was turning the rig up.  At the moment I had no idea what was wrong just no highs.  Turns out one of the XLR's on the processor board was bad and I had to program the mids mono and send the highs to one of those channels. 

Anyway I digressed.  So I had just begun the process of localizing the problem, which was somewhat of a pain because I had to run out from behind the deck, listen and run back as we didn't have radios.

Just as I was in the middle of my second walk out front my A1 is running around the place yelling "this sounds like shit" while one of the acts was setting up.

I said to him "I think one of the guys didn't here the engineer say our PA sounds like shit, maybe you want to use the talkback mic" he gave me a bewildered look, my sarcasm not immediately registering with him.  Once I got it fixed he said that was really stupid and apologized.  He didn't thank me though.

Sarcasm, angers little brother.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2017, 01:12:04 AM »

Making somebody look like an idiot usually is a thankless job. 

I remember being at a gig and I was turning the rig up.  At the moment I had no idea what was wrong just no highs.  Turns out one of the XLR's on the processor board was bad and I had to program the mids mono and send the highs to one of those channels. 

Anyway I digressed.  So I had just begun the process of localizing the problem, which was somewhat of a pain because I had to run out from behind the deck, listen and run back as we didn't have radios.

Just as I was in the middle of my second walk out front my A1 is running around the place yelling "this sounds like shit" while one of the acts was setting up.

I said to him "I think one of the guys didn't here the engineer say our PA sounds like shit, maybe you want to use the talkback mic" he gave me a bewildered look, my sarcasm not immediately registering with him.  Once I got it fixed he said that was really stupid and apologized.  He didn't thank me though.

Sarcasm, angers little brother.

Ok so another one.  House guy at a local music venue.  Nice Friday and Saturday night gig.  10 minutes from home, they booked 1.5-2k acts and provided production so the artists were a good lot.  One night it's closing time and a member of the wait staff was begging me to play some of her songs.  She was hot but I was married so my desire to use the restroom and have a smoke after 3 hours behind the board with only 2 10 minute breaks exceeded any desire to make this girl, young enough to be my daughter, happy.

I don't take 10 steps toward the bathroom and her and some drunk friends are trying to figure out how to get into the PC and go to some music site.  Well I told them to get their drunk asses out of the booth and put on the Partridge Families greatest hits and went outside and had a smoke.  The manager and kitchen guys thought it was funny.  From that point on I never got offered a pop (soda to those with other regional dialects) let alone a quickie in the broom closet so in retrospect it was a poor decision.  Still funny (as Keith Partridge belting out "I think I love you" rings in my head).

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2017, 01:12:04 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.