ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Off by 1/2 db?  (Read 12750 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Off by 1/2 db?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »

I see many of you have met "this guy" LOL. He did bug me a bit, thus the reason for this post.

Any pro or even semi pro sound guy will not give advise to another sound tech unless requested. When I go see other bands I try to look for things to complement them on, but keep my mouth shut if I don't like it. I've even gone as far as to defend some poor sound guys that were having trouble, as many musicians can be very critical when they see other bands.

I'm pretty good at accepting criticism as long as it's potentially valid. I've had band friends or girlfriends ask for subtle volume changes, in which I'm happy to oblige. I often will tell them to come let me know if they hear anything weird, which helps reinforce the feeling that I care, and I'm not that grumpy sound guy just waiting for his cigarette break. Band members respond well to this and I have a lot of friends in the industry.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2017, 01:45:09 PM »

Nobody ever bought a record because of the snare sound, at least anyone with music in them. 

In this game, everyone's an expert, but I'm the only one that matters when I'm mixing as I'm getting paid and they are not!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2017, 01:55:13 PM »

Nobody ever bought a record because of the snare sound, at least anyone with music in them. 

In this game, everyone's an expert, but I'm the only one that matters when I'm mixing as I'm getting paid and they are not!
I think the guy paying you matters.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 02:23:49 PM »

He was trying to tell you that he had a very small penis and was wondering how it compared to yours. The fact that you laughed at him made it clear that you were probably sufficient in that department.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf33Fad0sLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdExsAQuCQA

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2017, 02:30:37 PM »

I did buy the mp3simple minds
" don't you forget about me" just because the gated snare was sooo good. even though is could've used a little bottom end on it :)
ck it out
https://www.bing.com/search?q=don%27t+you+forget+about+me&form=IENTHT&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=29df73b0794043a2c611c9c885491750
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 03:16:20 PM »

Any pro or even semi pro sound guy will not give advise to another sound tech unless requested. When I go see other bands I try to look for things to complement them on, but keep my mouth shut if I don't like it.

A couple of occasions come to mind:

1) A few years ago, at a street festival, I cautioned the FOH guy that the stage left top boxes were vibrating across the subs and about to come crashing down off the mobile stage onto pavement (or patrons).

2) A couple of weeks ago, when I complimented the FOH guy for Australian Pink Floyd - because it really sounded fantastic (in an uncovered amphitheater).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2017, 03:16:55 PM »

I bought Diary by Sunny Day Real Estate primarily for Brad Wood's drum sound...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John L Nobile

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2017, 03:35:52 PM »

This:http://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/road_stories_2/

Interesting read as I'm old enough to remember the Ports of Call. Never worked there but I did see a few good bands in there.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »

Chris and I always disagree a little on snare sound. I like a crisp rich crack and he likes it to sound more like a trash can lid with lots of thwang!!!!

Is 'thwang' a word?

We agree on this snare sound though.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QU1nvuxaMA

We like!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »

I see many of you have met "this guy" LOL. He did bug me a bit, thus the reason for this post.

Any pro or even semi pro sound guy will not give advise to another sound tech unless requested. When I go see other bands I try to look for things to complement them on, but keep my mouth shut if I don't like it. I've even gone as far as to defend some poor sound guys that were having trouble, as many musicians can be very critical when they see other bands.

I'm pretty good at accepting criticism as long as it's potentially valid. I've had band friends or girlfriends ask for subtle volume changes, in which I'm happy to oblige. I often will tell them to come let me know if they hear anything weird, which helps reinforce the feeling that I care, and I'm not that grumpy sound guy just waiting for his cigarette break. Band members respond well to this and I have a lot of friends in the industry.
A tee shirt from my snarky daughter.  Yep.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.