ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3TX goes active  (Read 11916 times)

Mark Wilkinson

3TX goes active
« on: August 22, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »

Gave a go at switching a 3TX from its passive crossovers, to a tri-amped setup, kinda just for the heck of it.
Used the Danley/Linea SC-48 for processing, with it's LIR filters (which use 13ms latency)

First plot, red trace is 3TX alone, green trace is on top of two stacked single 18"s.

Impulse plot is 3TX and subs together.

Timo Beckman

• Rational Acoustics/Isemcon/Fulcrum Acoustic NL
    • Timo Beckman Geluid
Re: 3TX goes active
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »

That looks pretty good  :o

Almost as good as the RM25ac from fulcrum but thats a single point source Studio reference monitor not a system with a separate sub so latency is about 4ms afaik.
https://timobeckmangeluid.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/rm25ac-strt.png?w=2000 (screenshot is without any eq or anything else straight out of the box in a non acoustic friendly room).
So it's a 4 way system?
Do you have a zero smoothing plot and onax vs ofax?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:04:48 PM by Timo Beckman »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 08:01:14 PM »

Do you have a plot of the passive one to compare?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Peter Morris

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 05:31:04 AM »

Gave a go at switching a 3TX from its passive crossovers, to a tri-amped setup, kinda just for the heck of it.
Used the Danley/Linea SC-48 for processing, with it's LIR filters (which use 13ms latency)

First plot, red trace is 3TX alone, green trace is on top of two stacked single 18"s.

Impulse plot is 3TX and subs together.

That looks great Mark  ... so how do they sound? 

It would also be interesting to compare the active Vs passive response and phase.

Does the amp have any all-pass filters that you could use to get the phase response even flatter so it actually looks exactly like the response of Nathan's Fulcrums ?

Peter

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »

That looks pretty good  :o

Almost as good as the RM25ac from fulcrum but thats a single point source Studio reference monitor not a system with a separate sub so latency is about 4ms afaik.
https://timobeckmangeluid.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/rm25ac-strt.png?w=2000 (screenshot is without any eq or anything else straight out of the box in a non acoustic friendly room).
So it's a 4 way system?
Do you have a zero smoothing plot and onax vs ofax?

Hi Timo, thx.  Yep, it's a 4-way system, measured off of a back-of-house deck...as reflection free as I can easily/reasonably get.

First plot is same one posted earlier, but with no smoothing.

Second is a set of off axis horizontals, 10 degree increments out to 40 degrees. (60 degree horn)
Red trace is on axis, light blue right on top of red is 10 deg, the rest are more obvious.
I don't have any verticals yet.

I'd love to hear your RM25ac !

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »

Do you have a plot of the passive one to compare?

Hi Nathan,  here's an old trace of the 3tx I took a while back. 
I think i was using a different test setup, mic position etc, so I think it's probably not valid to directly compare it to the active trace I put up on the thread starter.
It may be, I'm just not sure....so I'm posting it alone....it has no smoothing.
(Jeff has my x-overs right now, or I'd make a new direct comparison....)

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 01:46:29 PM »

That looks great Mark  ... so how do they sound? 

It would also be interesting to compare the active Vs passive response and phase.

Does the amp have any all-pass filters that you could use to get the phase response even flatter so it actually looks exactly like the response of Nathan's Fulcrums ?

Peter

Hi Peter, thx!  It sounds really good, very much in the same family of the sound of the PM 60 and 90.
Gotta love those BMS coax CDs, huh?

Pls see the reply to Nathan for the 3tx passive plot.

No the processor doesn't have all-pass capability. (I just have the processor, not an amp).

So really, the only phase work that's available, apart from normal eqs, is the LIR x-over filters.
(Although it does have a really neat FIR highshelf filter, that's the smoothest sounding shelving I've heard.)

I'd characterize the LIR filters as LR24's, but without any phase rotation.
It's kinda slick how they work....it appears that how ever many taps are needed to support a reasonably flat phase LR24, at whatever is the most demanding /lowest x-over freq in play, are then also assigned to each and every pass-band higher up.
So you get the ability to move crossover points real time, without changing timing ..at least from an electrical point of view.
If the unit ever gets the ability to import FIR files, I think it could be killer. A best of both worlds combination.

Peter Morris

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »

Hi Peter, thx!  It sounds really good, very much in the same family of the sound of the PM 60 and 90.
Gotta love those BMS coax CDs, huh?

Pls see the reply to Nathan for the 3tx passive plot.

No the processor doesn't have all-pass capability. (I just have the processor, not an amp).

So really, the only phase work that's available, apart from normal eqs, is the LIR x-over filters.
(Although it does have a really neat FIR highshelf filter, that's the smoothest sounding shelving I've heard.)

I'd characterize the LIR filters as LR24's, but without any phase rotation.
It's kinda slick how they work....it appears that how ever many taps are needed to support a reasonably flat phase LR24, at whatever is the most demanding /lowest x-over freq in play, are then also assigned to each and every pass-band higher up.
So you get the ability to move crossover points real time, without changing timing ..at least from an electrical point of view.
If the unit ever gets the ability to import FIR files, I think it could be killer. A best of both worlds combination.

Hi Mark,

What you have done here is very similar to what I知 doing with processing on the PM60 & 90.

I知 using 24 & 48 dB LR slopes but without any phase rotation on the Lake LM26 like your LIR x-overs. For the subs I知 using IIR filters.  The Lake also lets you use all-pass filters so you can pull a few more degrees of rotation out of the system and get an almost perfect phase response from 300Hz up without much latency.

It痴 difficult to find a processor to do exactly what we need.  The LM26 is only 3 way stereo; if you need 4 or 5 way  you need two Lake's and the price is ridiculous. The Linea SC-48 is almost there but as you said its needs the ability to import FIR files or at least have the ability to manually manipulate phase and amplitude like the Lake. It would also be helpful if it could do brick wall filters, in some situations they can be useful.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:24:14 PM by Peter Morris »

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 06:32:33 PM »

Hi Mark,

What you have done here is very similar to what I知 doing with processing on the PM60 & 90.

I知 using 24 & 48 dB LR slopes but without any phase rotation on the Lake LM26 like your LIR x-overs. For the subs I知 using IIR filters.  The Lake also lets you use all-pass filters so you can pull a few more degrees of rotation out of the system and get an almost perfect phase response from 300Hz up without much latency.

It痴 difficult to find a processor to do exactly what we need.  The LM26 is only 3 way stereo; if you need 4 or 5 way  you need two Lake's and the price is ridiculous. The Linea SC-48 is almost there but as you said its needs the ability to import FIR files or at least have the ability to manually manipulate phase and amplitude like the Lake. It would also be helpful if it could do brick wall filters, in some situations they can be useful.

Hi Peter, for sure...kinda amazing how difficult it is to find the processor that does it all.

I've been looking through the Lake manuals trying to understand the LM26 all-pass capability, but without luck.
Does it have both 1st and 2nd order?  Can Q (or BW) be changed?
Particularly, can 2nd order be inverted?

I've just begun to try to get a handle on all-pass, but 2nd order inverted looks very promising for fixing the LF end of a pass-band's inevitable smiley face phase.  Am I thinking straight here?

So far, at least in terms of ultimate adjustment capability... the best "processor" I've found is a bank of miniDSP openDRCs for processing, put together with a DL-155 stagebox for I/O.  Unfortunately, nothing is real time, and it involves too many components, but when using a FIR generator program like rePhase or FirDesigner with this combo, it makes everything else I've tried feel quite primitive.

I'm beginning to build some strong ideas on what the perfect processor would be lol

Don Davis

• So Cal
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 05:07:45 PM »

I've been looking through the Lake manuals trying to understand the LM26 all-pass capability, but without luck.
Does it have both 1st and 2nd order?  Can Q (or BW) be changed?
Particularly, can 2nd order be inverted?

Hi Mark,
The Lake does have both 1st and 2nd order all-pass.
On 1st order only the frequency of the filter can be changed.
On 2nd order both frequency and bandwidth can be changed.
I don't believe there is a way to invert the filter although that would be handy as you said.
Hope that helps. Peter can contribute way more to this than I can.
Don

ProSoundWeb Community

ツォ Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 05:07:45 PM ツサ

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.