Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

Max length of RG58 cable without booster?

(1/4) > >>

Tom Simenauer:
Hi i am about to by a Sennheiser rig with the receivers going into a ASA-1 with 2 Sennheiser A1031-u omni antenna's.
How far can i run the A1031-u's without a booster?

Henry Cohen:

--- Quote from: Tom Simenauer on August 22, 2017, 12:36:37 PM ---Hi i am about to by a Sennheiser rig with the receivers going into a ASA-1 with 2 Sennheiser A1031-u omni antenna's.
--- End quote ---

This will depend on a number of factors:

- Type of coax. Your subject line indicates RG58; I would strongly recommend a low loss coax sized sufficiently for the length needed. It's far better to run a larger, low loss coax than add the noise and potential intermodulation distortion that comes from adding an amplifier stage. Preferred coax recommendations are Belden 9913F7, Times Microwave LMR400 / LMR400UF and PWS S9046.

- Average signal strength from the transmitter reaching the antenna. Unless extenuating circumstances are present, you're better off moving the antennas closer to the transmitters and using a larger, low loss coax.

- Type of antenna. Omni or directional? And if directional, how much [passive] forward gain?

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote from: Tom Simenauer on August 22, 2017, 12:36:37 PM ---Hi i am about to by a Sennheiser rig with the receivers going into a ASA-1 with 2 Sennheiser A1031-u omni antenna's.

--- End quote ---
Loss per 100' of RG58 at about 500 Mhz is around 12 db. I don't use more than 25' of RG58 (if that's all I can get)and that's with directional antennas.
As Henry stated, use a better cable especially considering you are using omni antennas.

Tom Simenauer:

--- Quote from: Keith Broughton on August 22, 2017, 01:51:58 PM ---Loss per 100' of RG58 at about 500 Mhz is around 12 db. I don't use more than 25' of RG58 (if that's all I can get)and that's with directional antennas.
As Henry stated, use a better cable especially considering you are using omni antennas.

--- End quote ---
thanks

Tom Simenauer:

--- Quote from: Keith Broughton on August 22, 2017, 01:51:58 PM ---Loss per 100' of RG58 at about 500 Mhz is around 12 db. I don't use more than 25' of RG58 (if that's all I can get)and that's with directional antennas.

--- End quote ---
thank you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version