ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RF Venue Diversity fin  (Read 3914 times)

Tom Simenauer

RF Venue Diversity fin
« on: August 22, 2017, 09:08:10 AM »

RF Venue Diversity fin, looks very good.
Any one used it?
I need coverage for a 2 floor church, with mics roaming 35 x 25 x 8 meters.

Would 1 do the job?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »

Any one used it?

Would 1 do the job?

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: RF Venue Diversity fin
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »

Any one used it?

Would 1 do the job?

The Diversity Fin is a very good antenna for its intended application; when deploying two antennas with appropriate spacial separation is not possible/practical. Two antennas with proper spacial separation and disparate "views" of the desired coverage area(s) will almost always provide better performance.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 03:02:36 PM »

The Diversity Fin is a very good antenna for its intended application; when deploying two antennas with appropriate spacial separation is not possible/practical. Two antennas with proper spacial separation and disparate "views" of the desired coverage area(s) will almost always provide better performance.

Not to call you out or anything and I realize you're the mod/one of the greats of RF, but how do you quantify this?

While surely biased, the white paper on the RF Venue's Diversity fin suggests/makes a good case that it is every bit as well performing.

Just trying to understand, thanks!
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 04:23:53 PM »

Not to call you out or anything and I realize you're the mod/one of the greats of RF, but how do you quantify this?

While surely biased, the white paper on the RF Venue's Diversity fin suggests/makes a good case that it is every bit as well performing.

Just trying to understand, thanks!

[My being a moderator has nothing to do with the validity of my posts - Don't fret it, and ask away . . .]

Quantitatively, I did not document the measurements (A & B antenna signal levels at the receiver over repeated, dissimilar, defined coverage areas), however, during controlled walk tests performed years ago, spatial diversity held a very slight edge over polar diversity in small spaces with no obstructions (the reason I said ". . . will almost always . . ."), and a significant advantage in large spaces, outdoor spaces or spaces with significant obstructions like large set pieces.

The Diversity Fin works very well in smaller spaces, and indoor spaces with a number of reflection paths where the one antenna position can 'see' the entire coverage area. In larger, more open or obstructed areas, the LPDA feed of the DF worked as well as any on the market, but the horizontally polarized omni feed started to provide less than reliable  performance.

In the end though, you should perform the tests yourself; it's a good learning experience, both in generic terms and to better learn the specific equipment with you might use. Besides, we can compare your general results with mine and see if I need to repeat the tests.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Tom Simenauer

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 06:08:27 PM »

[My being a moderator has nothing to do with the validity of my posts - Don't fret it, and ask away . . .]

Quantitatively, I did not document the measurements (A & B antenna signal levels at the receiver over repeated, dissimilar, defined coverage areas), however, during controlled walk tests performed years ago, spatial diversity held a very slight edge over polar diversity in small spaces with no obstructions (the reason I said ". . . will almost always . . ."), and a significant advantage in large spaces, outdoor spaces or spaces with significant obstructions like large set pieces.

The Diversity Fin works very well in smaller spaces, and indoor spaces with a number of reflection paths where the one antenna position can 'see' the entire coverage area. In larger, more open or obstructed areas, the LPDA feed of the DF worked as well as any on the market, but the horizontally polarized omni feed started to provide less than reliable  performance.

In the end though, you should perform the tests yourself; it's a good learning experience, both in generic terms and to better learn the specific equipment with you might use. Besides, we can compare your general results with mine and see if I need to repeat the tests.
Thanks, i think i will go with 2 omni sennheisers, but i might buy the DF soon and see whats best for the church i work in.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 12:40:51 AM »

There's plenty of Shure & Sennheiser dealers on here (myself included) that will be happy to help you out with this purchase. :-)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tom Simenauer

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 06:28:51 AM »

There's plenty of Shure & Sennheiser dealers on here (myself included) that will be happy to help you out with this purchase. :-)

-Ray
Thanks

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 10:03:11 PM »

Haha, while true; you and others still deserve some respect. That and the fact that questioning the mighty admins can lead to a swarm of angry forum users who wish to defend their 'queen/king' ;) [I'm thinking of you Mike Sokol & your tent people thread  ;D]

Thats awesome, super cool you took the time to do those tests!

I think intuitively and mathematically it makes sense that the LPDA fins (combined) would perform better outdoors than the DF.

I'll have to re-read their white paper and see if they specifically mention indoors only and exclude outdoors. (performing same as two fins vs the DF in indoor areas)

When I have a couple sets at my disposal I'll try to replicate your tests and post up some results! That would be fun for sure :) I'll keep this in mind in the future and post my results up!
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Brian Hancock

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »

Any one used it?

Would 1 do the job?

why not see if someone in your area can lend you one for a few weeks to try out ... as a side note to the spacial diversity my go to recently has been a combination of something directional and the spotlight antenna has worked like a dream

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.