ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Company switch sources?  (Read 4424 times)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Company switch sources?
« on: August 20, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »

I'm failing a bit at the Google today.
Basically I am wanting to install a basic (and inexpensive as possible) 100 amp 3 phase cam lock company switch in my shop. My goal is to be able to fully shop test rigs down to the distro.
Our shop has 3 phase power into the building and I have an electrician coming to handle a few other projects around the shop (including a couple of L21-30 around the shop in testing stations). My question really is mostly about good sources for the company switch.
I submitted a quote request to Union Connector, but I'm not finding anything much else. Anyone have a go to? Preferably as basic and inexpensive as possible while still being UL and safe.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Company switch sources?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:05:55 PM »

I'm failing a bit at the Google today.
Basically I am wanting to install a basic (and inexpensive as possible) 100 amp 3 phase cam lock company switch in my shop. My goal is to be able to fully shop test rigs down to the distro.
Our shop has 3 phase power into the building and I have an electrician coming to handle a few other projects around the shop (including a couple of L21-30 around the shop in testing stations). My question really is mostly about good sources for the company switch.
I submitted a quote request to Union Connector, but I'm not finding anything much else. Anyone have a go to? Preferably as basic and inexpensive as possible while still being UL and safe.

Thanks!

You will be shocked by the prices you get back.

LEX PowerGate, Union Connector, Motion Labs (probably).

it will be far cheaper to have your electrician install a fused disconnect and an enclosure with CamLok E1016 series connectors on it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Fruits

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 05:15:30 AM »

I googled 100A company switch and got quite a few hits.
Some others that come up are:
CrouseHinds/Eaton/cooperindustries
ETC
SSRC
Stagecraft Industries (one of the mods at controlbooth.com works there @van)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:23:03 AM by John Fruits »
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 07:38:04 AM »

Thanks! I'm leaning towards Tim's suggestion as well after some more research

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:39:19 AM »

It will be far cheaper to have your electrician install a fused disconnect and an enclosure with CamLok E1016 series connectors on it.

That's what Whirlwind uses for testing their own CamLok power distros. A 100-amp, 3-phase fused disconnect feeding an enclosure with panel-mount CamLok connectors. A UL certified Company Switch will cost MANY thousands of dollars.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »

But I do like the safety factor of the lex disconnects. Basically there is no way to access the lugs or cams when hot.

I was shopping last week and there is an online retailer called something like power distribution that offers all the lex options ( probably drop ship)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »

But I do like the safety factor of the lex disconnects. Basically there is no way to access the lugs or cams when hot.

I was shopping last week and there is an online retailer called something like power distribution that offers all the lex options ( probably drop ship)

At our arena downtown, we have Union Connector company switches that offer both CamLok and lugs.  The lug chamber has a shunt trip switch on the access door, opening it trips the main breaker to de-energize the switch.  Similarly the CamLok females have pluger-actuated Microswitches - if all CamLoks are not fully and snugly connected, or 1 or more is missing, you cannot turn on the main breaker without the shut trip immediately tripping.

Even an enclosure with Cams can be expensive.  At that arena half the services are on disconnects that have the Crouse Hinds Posi_Lok connections where you MUST connect in order, using polarized outer shells installed on the male Cams.  The arena has multiple sets of adapters, as nobody (except the generator guys that work in multiple jurisdictions) uses the PosiLoks in touring.

For those playing along at home, a 400 amp 3 phase company switch with multiple hook up options (Cams/lugs) and multiple shunt trips will cost in the high 4/low 5 figures.  Yes, $10 Large... and that doesn't include installation.  Even at 100 Amperes the cost will be north of $5k.  Simpler is cheaper.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 11:39:09 AM »

At our arena downtown, we have Union Connector company switches that offer both CamLok and lugs.  The lug chamber has a shunt trip switch on the access door, opening it trips the main breaker to de-energize the switch.  Similarly the CamLok females have pluger-actuated Microswitches - if all CamLoks are not fully and snugly connected, or 1 or more is missing, you cannot turn on the main breaker without the shut trip immediately tripping.

Even an enclosure with Cams can be expensive.  At that arena half the services are on disconnects that have the Crouse Hinds Posi_Lok connections where you MUST connect in order, using polarized outer shells installed on the male Cams.  The arena has multiple sets of adapters, as nobody (except the generator guys that work in multiple jurisdictions) uses the PosiLoks in touring.

For those playing along at home, a 400 amp 3 phase company switch with multiple hook up options (Cams/lugs) and multiple shunt trips will cost in the high 4/low 5 figures.  Yes, $10 Large... and that doesn't include installation.  Even at 100 Amperes the cost will be north of $5k.  Simpler is cheaper.
So you suggest 100 amp breaker at the panel cabled to the 100 amp disconnect at the location, breaking out to the cams in a lockable enclosure?

Jay Barracato

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »

We have lockout locks where the key can only be removed if the lock is locked.  To me, a pair of locks like that, key alike but with only one key would be ideal.  Granted, you can't control where they lock the lock-but if the easiest place to get the key to unlike the cams is the lock for the breaker, I think most people would go ahead and lock the breaker.
Steve Swaffer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »

So you suggest 100 amp breaker at the panel cabled to the 100 amp disconnect at the location, breaking out to the cams in a lockable enclosure?

In my jurisdiction the Cams do not need to be in a lockable enclosure (and I'm not aware of any place that is required).  The Code adoption here is behind by at least 3 cycles (9 years) and then the local governments pick and choose what to adopt as the building contractors have a huge amount of influence.

The architects that designed this arena are not from around here... and they picked connection methods and materials that would pass Code in almost any jurisdiction - the PosiLok and shunt trips are not required here.

As always, anyone contemplating an installation of this type would be prudent to consult both an electrical contractor and the AHJ before finalizing design or purchase decisions.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.