ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft UI24 vs SI Expression preamps  (Read 10827 times)

Mal Brown

Soundcraft UI24 vs SI Expression preamps
« on: August 19, 2017, 02:43:24 PM »

Anyone here been able to do a side by side ? 

Thinking about upgrading my DL-1608 personal mixer.

If the UI-24 is on par with the Expression SI from a sound quality perspective, that would be a no brained for me.  I love listening to our SI-3 and MSB 32i setup.

My alternative is a ton more money and it's bigger.  A used or B-Stock SI-1 ...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mike Santarelli

Re: Soundcraft UI24 vs SI Expression preamps
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 06:42:39 PM »

Anyone here been able to do a side by side ? 

Thinking about upgrading my DL-1608 personal mixer.

If the UI-24 is on par with the Expression SI from a sound quality perspective, that would be a no brained for me.  I love listening to our SI-3 and MSB 32i setup.

My alternative is a ton more money and it's bigger.  A used or B-Stock SI-1 ...

I've been using a Ui24r for a few months now. I have the Si Impact. In my opinion the Ui24 sounds as good; maybe even better?  :-[  I might get beat for that one.
This thing is really blowing me away lately. I'll have to do a setup and A/B them.  I think the Si has a little more headroom overall but not a big deal.

I only wish that Si apps gave you the control the ui has. Overall they both sound great. I've been using the ui as of late because I haven't needed more than 20 channels.

Others may have a different experience but mine has been positive and I don't miss my Si when using the Ui.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:54:25 PM by Mike Santarelli »

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 07:53:56 PM »

Thanks !
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 09:14:24 PM »

I've been using a Ui24r for a few months now. I have the Si Impact. In my opinion the Ui24 sounds as good; maybe even better?  :-[  I might get beat for that one.
This thing is really blowing me away lately. I'll have to do a setup and A/B them.  I think the Si has a little more headroom overall but not a big deal.

I only wish that Si apps gave you the control the ui has. Overall they both sound great. I've been using the ui as of late because I haven't needed more than 20 channels.

Others may have a different experience but mine has been positive and I don't miss my Si when using the Ui.

Thanks Mike. This is good to know. I have both the Impact and the UI16 and have debated for awhile now about trading the 16 for the 24.  Most of the time I don't need 16 channels but when I more, I always end up carting out the Impact which obviously changes several dynamics relative to space.  The 24 on the other hand, would cover 90% of my shows.
Looks like I'll need to make that step.
Bill
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »

The 24 on the other hand, would cover 90% of my shows.

For those keeping score at home, the Ui24 has 20 (not 24) input channels - unless you count the stereo RCA and USB inputs (as everyone is doing in the Consumer/Prosumer space these days).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 02:21:16 AM »

For those keeping score at home, the Ui24 has 20 (not 24) input channels - unless you count the stereo RCA and USB inputs (as everyone is doing in the Consumer/Prosumer space these days).

Dave
Same thing with the Ui16.  I have small bar gigs that are mostly vocal only where 8 is usually enough (points for that reference).  But I would need a Ui16 to get 8 mic inputs.  So I typically use my GigRack as a mixer and tote the power amps for free.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 03:10:17 AM »

I'm not sure why there is such as big fuss about preamps and comparisons between makes and models.

People have been making good mic preamps for at least the last forty years.

There is more likely to be audible differences with various types of analogue to digital conversion and processing than there is with preamps.

Steve.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 08:29:42 AM »

I'm not sure why there is such as big fuss about preamps and comparisons between makes and models.

People have been making good mic preamps for at least the last forty years.

There is more likely to be audible differences with various types of analogue to digital conversion and processing than there is with preamps.

Steve.

Let's be even more realistic-the ends of the audio chain are even more important and influential.

John

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 08:32:08 AM »

Let's be even more realistic-the ends of the audio chain are even more important and influential.

The bits which convert moving air to electricity and back again which haven't really changed since the 1940s?  Agreed.

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »

The bits which convert moving air to electricity and back again which haven't really changed since the 1940s?  Agreed.

Steve.

John is saying that microphones and loudspeakers have more impact on perceived sound quality than mixer pre amps.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.