ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 tutorial suggestions  (Read 8311 times)

Steve Loewenthal

x32 tutorial suggestions
« on: August 18, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »

My X32 compact was just delivered. (Thanks Mike Pyle for a good deal)
Now I need to learn how to use it.

My 20 year old mixer just started showing signs of needing repairs that I don't want to do.

By now I assume there are some great videos and other docs on how to use it.
Instead of wading through different manuals and videos myself, I'm guessing that someone else has already figured out where the good ones are.
I'm looking for a couple suggestions of videos or other docs that you found to be really helpful.

Note: I have not even opened the box yet, nor looked at what Behringer has to offer online.

I think my needs will be fairly simple. 3 saved scenes: my regular band, DJ, Misc
To start I'll have 3 monitor mixes plus I bought the p16-M for myself. (I'm hoping the rest of the band will each purchase their own p16-M's so I'll effectively have 0 monitor mixes.)
I know I'll want to take full advantage of the scribble strips.

From what I've picked up in the lounge through osmosis, I think the learning curve is all about routing. I'm hoping my routing will be easy enough. All vocals to bus 1, instruments to bus 2, drums to bus 3. All 3 busses panned evenly to LR main faders. (I think the compact had only a single "built in" main fader, so I guess my LR faders will be more routing.)
Plus I'll need to learn the routing for my monitor mixes. I'm hoping to keep all or most of what I need immediately available on 1 set of faders without having to push buttons to go to different layers.

Let my new learning experience begin.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Lance Rectanus

• NW Ohio
Re: x32 tutorial suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 03:39:31 PM »

I'm looking for a couple suggestions of videos or other docs that you found to be really helpful.

Drew Brashler has a ton of videos available:

https://www.youtube.com/user/KD7QCU

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:05:33 PM »

First, read the manual!
There will be things you don't get or think you don't need that will be in the back of your head until you see it explained in a video or suddenly have the need.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »

My 20 year old mixer just started showing signs of needing repairs that I don't want to do.

Instead of wading through different manuals and videos myself, I'm guessing that someone else has already figured out where the good ones are.

Note: I have not even opened the box yet, nor looked at what Behringer has to offer online.

I think my needs will be fairly simple. 3 saved scenes: my regular band, DJ, Misc
To start I'll have 3 monitor mixes plus I bought the p16-M for myself. (I'm hoping the rest of the band will each purchase their own p16-M's so I'll effectively have 0 monitor mixes.)

From what I've picked up in the lounge through osmosis, I think the learning curve is all about routing. I'm hoping my routing will be easy enough. All vocals to bus 1, instruments to bus 2, drums to bus 3. All 3 busses panned evenly to LR main faders. (I think the compact had only a single "built in" main fader, so I guess my LR faders will be more routing.)
Plus I'll need to learn the routing for my monitor mixes. I'm hoping to keep all or most of what I need immediately available on 1 set of faders without having to push buttons to go to different layers.

A couple of things I've learned - You can't name your "SHOW" on the console, it has to be done via X32 Edit.  I haven't tried it with Mixing Station (Android) or the iPad app, but on the computer it's easy.

Fail-safe fall back is Scene 001.  I don't think this is much of an issue anymore, but you might want that scene to be your generic i/o template and dedicated inputs like music PB, MC mic, etc.  Things you'd want to work right away if you had a major scene recall problem.

Routing:  I've not used the P16 mixers so I can't comment directly but in software it looks like it routes the way everything else does.  Routing is where the X32 both shines and falls short:  it shines because of how much you can route to various places but falls short because of the 8 channel blocks of hardware DSP (or so we're told).  The XLR output patch is in groups of 4, which helps.  Most operator issues are born in the Routing page...

Configuration, mix access, etc.:  It's much simpler to set up with X-32 Edit than on the console, at least if you want to get granular on pre/post stuff and configuring mix buses for monitors, sub-groups, EFX sends, etc.  On the console (Setup page, Global tab) you can pre-configure the mix bus scheme from a limited selection and fine tune on a per-input basis (but it's slllloooooowwww on the desk).  Seriously, connect your laptop and console, run X32 edit.  For the initial connection of any session, it's best to have the PC sync with the console.  If you sync the console to PC, you will overwrite the entire show file on the console.  This could be a Very Bad Thing.

Get an Android tablet and pay David Giga $5 for his Mixing Station Pro.  The license is good for multiple devices linked to the same Google Play account, too.  Custom layers, configurable interface.  I use it as an additional interface (sometimes the meters page, sometimes on stage setting monitors).  A decent wireless access point ("router" to the Heathens) completes the package.

The Compact works a lot like the Midas M32 Rack - pushing 2 input bank select buttons at the same time turns all 16 faders into whatever you selected.  Want channels 9-24?  Push the 9-16 button and the 16-24 button together.  You can do the same with outputs, too.  Very valuable shortcut to remember.

Also the way Sends on Faders works:  You select input or mix.  If you select mix, you get all input faders representing send levels to that mix.  If you select input, you get all MIX faders representing the level of that input to each mix.  I found this very helpful but you need to watch the blinking buttons to know what mode you're in.  Experiment at home with this to get comfortable.

The "VIEW" button is your friend.  It brings up the screen for that parameter for the channel or output that has been selected.  It toggles off, too.  The default for each parameter is "OFF", so you'll need to push that "EQ" button to turn it on, ditto for dynamics and high pass filter.

Mostly you need to kick this thing, slap it a few times, then slap yourself upside the head.  You will then achieve Peace and Tranquillity with your X32.  Naw, seriously... the way you get good on any of these computerized console boxes is to use it.  So simulate use:  set it up for a DJ gig and hook up just enough speaker system to make sure everything comes out where it's supposed to, then do a configuration for a band, then maybe a generic presentation config.  Then take it to a band rehearsal and set it up.  Give yourself some time to correct mistakes.  You'll figure it out if you set it up at home...

Finally, since you're coming from an analog mixer - 0 dBvu is actually about -18DBFS.  Orange is the new Red.  If you came from the Ye Olde Skool of Analogue Audition® you may be in the habit of "PFL, set trim so meter hits 0".  If you do that with any mixer that uses Full Scale (the FS in DBFS), you're +18dB too damn hot.  PFL to -18.  Your console will have gain staging much more like the mixer it's replacing, +/- 3dB.  Or so I'm gonna claim. ;)

Experiment with, and gain understanding of the differences between Scenes, Cues, and Snippets. (advanced class, this can probably wait).

Most of your head scratching will be "where did Behringer hide this damn...." whatever config or routing thing you want to do...  Also, output delays are accessed via the Routing tab, IIRC.

Some random thoughts that I hope save you some time and frustration.  Let us know you do with your new mixer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 04:25:56 PM »

Take the time to learn how to do things you think you'll never need to do. At the very least walk thru the steps on the mixer multiple times  with days between each time. Familiarize yourself with all the routing possibilties, for when something gets accidentally changed and you have to figure out what's going on.

Nothing like spending an hour trying to figure out why you have no signal in channel 2 only to eventually discover that input 5 is routed there, not input 2.

Practice things like how  the effects work and how to get them into your wedges, setitng up delay mixes, delaying individual inputs and outputs, triggering compressor and gates from other channels or inputs.  Tons of things you don't think you'll want to do may come in handy later.

The channel strips are pretty intuitive but trying to remember what screens you need to be on for some of the  functions can be frustrating if you need to do something out of the ordinary in a pinch that you've only done once. Some things are also easier to do on the tablet if you plan on using one. 
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 05:38:30 PM »

Get to know the user assign section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7dvGIDq4mM

I use set A for my 1 through 6 monitor sends.
Set B for effects
Set C for some direct to page stuff etc.

Linking channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm2dpjNENI0

Be sure to check your XLR tab section. The XLR outs need to be assigned Post Fade if you want your Buss outs to be effected by the Buss master faders. ( set to post fade )  My M32R came new with these not assigned so it gave me some grief until I found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z_XRr5nu90

Douglas R. Allen

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »

For the PM16 do get and us TPS ( shielded).  have dual band wifi  2.4 and 5 gig.   
 http://www.procosound.com/cables/duracat-network-solutions/durashield

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I downloaded the manual to my tablet and started reading. That is probably all I will get to do for a while. Eclipse guests arriving in a couple hours. Gig (with the old board) next weekend and I need to practice some new songs. No time for new stuff.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »

The written documentation ( or lack there of ) for Behringer mixers is where you really start to understand where they saved the money on manufacturing costs.

First, read the manual!
There will be things you don't get or think you don't need that will be in the back of your head until you see it explained in a video or suddenly have the need.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 10:25:35 AM »

You might find the midas m32 manual a little clearer that the x-32 one....I did...differences are minor

https://media.music-group.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0B3I/M32_M_EN.pdf

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 10:25:35 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.