ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Distro Cabling  (Read 2700 times)

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
Power Distro Cabling
« on: August 17, 2017, 08:29:32 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish cabling options with my distro at my facility.  I have a Motion Labs Stackable that is 208v 60a P/S in that breaks out to 3 L21-30s.  Installed behind a small cement stage there is a 208v 400a 5w service and a 100a P/S service.  The space does not dictate needing this kind of power, however I think someone sold it into a renovation years ago.  I figured the idea was 400a for lights, never been used, and 100a for sound.  Due to proximity to the performance space I built a 10' 2/5 cable with a 100a P/S to a 60a P/S cable and it works great. 

For a show about twice a year I need to get my distro about 100' away.  I don't mind renting but I haven't been able to find a HBL5100(C,P)9W cable to use the 100a service.  I have seen P/S to 5 wire adapters before and am considering investing in the parts to make a 100a P/S to 5 wire and a 5 wire to 60a P/S.  I'm not sure though if all the cable will fit in the shell.  Has anyone tried this?  Seems like a good way to level the playing field for a few times a year to 5 wire.  Also I work with students and staying away from the 400a service is attractive as the 100a is an interlock and hard to misuse.

If I understand correctly, even though I am only feeding a 60a distro from a 100a service, I should always be using cable rated for the full 100a at my given distance, in this case of about 100' my adapters should be 2awg.  I should not be using 60a cable, correct?

Thanks,
Chris

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Power Distro Cabling
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 10:35:09 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish cabling options with my distro at my facility.  I have a Motion Labs Stackable that is 208v 60a P/S in that breaks out to 3 L21-30s.  Installed behind a small cement stage there is a 208v 400a 5w service and a 100a P/S service.  The space does not dictate needing this kind of power, however I think someone sold it into a renovation years ago.  I figured the idea was 400a for lights, never been used, and 100a for sound.  Due to proximity to the performance space I built a 10' 2/5 cable with a 100a P/S to a 60a P/S cable and it works great. 

For a show about twice a year I need to get my distro about 100' away.  I don't mind renting but I haven't been able to find a HBL5100(C,P)9W cable to use the 100a service.  I have seen P/S to 5 wire adapters before and am considering investing in the parts to make a 100a P/S to 5 wire and a 5 wire to 60a P/S.  I'm not sure though if all the cable will fit in the shell.  Has anyone tried this?  Seems like a good way to level the playing field for a few times a year to 5 wire.  Also I work with students and staying away from the 400a service is attractive as the 100a is an interlock and hard to misuse.

If I understand correctly, even though I am only feeding a 60a distro from a 100a service, I should always be using cable rated for the full 100a at my given distance, in this case of about 100' my adapters should be 2awg.  I should not be using 60a cable, correct?

Thanks,
Chris

Los Angeles has it's own Code requirements that exceed NFPA 70 (the "National Electrical Code") so you may want to consult a local electrician that specializes in entertainment power.

In general you need to have the Over Current Protection Device (breaker or fuses) rated for the ampacity of the feeder, or vice versa.  It is NOT to Code to have differently rated connectors on the feeder, however.

Chapters 2, 3, 4 and Articles 520, 525 and 640 are where you need to start.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:18:04 PM »

Los Angeles has it's own Code requirements that exceed NFPA 70 (the "National Electrical Code") so you may want to consult a local electrician that specializes in entertainment power.

In general you need to have the Over Current Protection Device (breaker or fuses) rated for the ampacity of the feeder, or vice versa.  It is NOT to Code to have differently rated connectors on the feeder, however.

Chapters 2, 3, 4 and Articles 520, 525 and 640 are where you need to start.

Thanks Tim.  I do have a site electrician but I know he is not versed in entertainment.  I have reworked the original power distro of the 208v P/S to a 50a CS connector into a construction box to the described format.  He does have a 2014 NEC code book.  I will grab it and read up.

If I understand what you are saying, I should have another box that takes the 100a in, is brekered and then puts out 60a, or whatever the desired connector and amp amount is.  This should not be done with cable ends.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:18:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.