ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Riders. What's Your Weirdest?  (Read 17964 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Riders. What's Your Weirdest?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 04:59:23 PM »

I've worked with a couple of BEs who sang back up.

Kinda odd standing at FOH with them.

I did that once when mixing a friend's band without them knowing.
The guitar player couldn't sing harmony for shit, so when I chimed in, the lead singer looked up in bewilderment.
LOL
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 05:59:45 PM »

I've worked with a couple of BEs who sang back up.

Since we're already off on this tangent: A popular looping soloist plays in the largest room in my area every few years, and his BE sings harmonies from front of house.  The house engineer told me of a time, before I was involved working there, when the engineer's head was down looking at some effect parameters or something in the rack, as his vocal mic swung on its boom stand to face the PA, causing a horrendous squeal of feedback through the mains.  The same guy was still singing at front of house last time I worked with them... 

Regarding Riders, this same engineer gave us what may have been the best stage plot and input list I've ever seen: It was clearly labelled 'Sheet of Lies,' and explicitly said to expect changes.  At least he is honest!

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 06:19:15 PM »

I don't really think the request was weird but how if was stated was. 
Back in the early to mid 1990's we used to do a benefit show each year that featured the likes of Gregory Hines and Tony Bennett. 
Mr. Bennett's rider always listed the required condition/cleanliness for SM58's as needing to be "lickable". 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 06:35:41 PM »

I have a rider for a popular rock band of the mid to late seventies.  The sound and lighting were my responsibility and were no trouble, but the rider ask for " six willing ladies - no pros"!  I really don't know if they got that part of the rider, but it was the only time I saw it in writing.

Some where in a past thread is a link to Iggy Pop's tech rider. I hope someone can provide that link.  His engineer is dead serious on what he and Iggy want, but the way it is written is damn entertaining.  What ever you do, don't give him a digital console!!!!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 07:39:24 PM »

Pretty easy to find on the Google Machine.

-r
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »

Since we're already off on this tangent: A popular looping soloist plays in the largest room in my area every few years, and his BE sings harmonies from front of house.  The house engineer told me of a time, before I was involved working there, when the engineer's head was down looking at some effect parameters or something in the rack, as his vocal mic swung on its boom stand to face the PA, causing a horrendous squeal of feedback through the mains.  The same guy was still singing at front of house last time I worked with them... 

Regarding Riders, this same engineer gave us what may have been the best stage plot and input list I've ever seen: It was clearly labelled 'Sheet of Lies,' and explicitly said to expect changes.  At least he is honest!

We had him last year and again in the fall. Interesting cat that BE. He didn't sing on that show but normally does as he told us all about including some fun anecdotes about people saying funny stuff in the booth while his mic is open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 10:52:38 PM »

Sounds familiar.....

My comment was made because I sing harmonies with my band from FOH through a wireless headset mic. It gets interesting sometimes especially when folks in the audience catch on and start to poke their friends and they all stare at me. I have to be careful where I stand - too close and I get feedback - too far and there is too much latency.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Roland Clarke

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 04:24:13 AM »

I was reading another thread and the term "rider" was used many times.  Not being a pro "sound guy" I wasn't sure what it meant.  Wikipedia to the rescue!

I found this "rider request" as very interesting.  What's the weirdest, most unusual you've had?

"Van Halen requested in the technical rider that a bowl of M&M's be provided in their dressing room with the brown ones removed. Failure to do so would not only mean that the band would not perform, but the venue would still have to pay the full fee. The objective of this was not due to any excesses on the part of the band, but was a method to determine how much attention to detail the crew at a local venue paid to the requests specified in the rider. Should the bowl be absent, or if brown M&M's were present, it would give band members reason to suspect other, legitimate, technical and safety issues were also being performed poorly or were outright overlooked. David Lee Roth stated in his autobiography that this request was made as a result of faulty workmanship at a venue on an earlier tour which nearly cost the life of a member of Van Halen's road crew. He added that at one venue where he found brown M&M's, the management's failure to read weight requirements in the rider resulted in the band's equipment sinking through the floor and causing over $80,000 of damage."

I think it's more likely to lead to more problems.  When people up the workload with silly requests it distract from the real and immediate issues

David Allred

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 08:52:28 AM »

Another swerve.  Anyone ever drop something on the floor and when you straighten up hit your head on the table supporting the mixer (or directly on the mixer itself) that had a built in spring reverb?

Tim Halligan

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 10:27:25 AM »

I think it's more likely to lead to more problems.  When people up the workload with silly requests it distract from the real and immediate issues

Well...in the Van Halen example, it was done as a quick way to determine if the promoter had read the rider...the theory being that if they'd stuffed that part up, there was a good chance that something more significant had been stuffed up too.

Here's DLR explaining it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IxqdAgNJck

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 10:27:25 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.