ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW QX326 - Anyone with experience?  (Read 3151 times)

Laurence Nefzger

• Kirkland, WA USA
EAW QX326 - Anyone with experience?
« on: August 17, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »

A four hundred seat theater with a maximum depth of about 55 feet. (Wider than deep).
EAW is promoting L & R of the QX326 and a single SB528zP. EAW processing with "Focusing".
I do not have any experience with this rig so am soliciting opinions of those who do have. Spec wise it looks like it will get the job done admirably.

Also being considered is a Danley SM80 (2) TH118 rig. Which I have heard (though not in the space) and quite like.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: EAW QX326 - Anyone with experience?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »

The QX3 sounds fine, but the dispersion pattern isn't the most well-behaved.  I would look harder at the QX5, Fulcrum AH, or Danley SH96(HO). 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Christian Ekren

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 11:23:33 AM »

We have an LCRS EAW qx3 series system with the same sub in a 600 seat auditorium that's also wider than deep (60' prosc.) They sound find but as Caleb mentioned dispersion control isn't great. The boxes need a LOT of processing (check the spec sheet) from the EAW processor. I would second the recommendations for checking out Danley more.

Dallas Anderson

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »

A four hundred seat theater with a maximum depth of about 55 feet. (Wider than deep).
EAW is promoting L & R of the QX326 and a single SB528zP. EAW processing with "Focusing".
I do not have any experience with this rig so am soliciting opinions of those who do have. Spec wise it looks like it will get the job done admirably.

Also being considered is a Danley SM80 (2) TH118 rig. Which I have heard (though not in the space) and quite like.

I have installed several systems with QX3xx series with good success.  The QX5xx series outperforms the QX3xx series, larger cabinet, 3 way design, etc.  The EAW's QX3xx do require the EAW processor and as with any speaker system requires some tuning to fit your liking.  I have no experience with Danley, but looking at spec sheets it appears to have a slightly larger horn and thus may fit the application better, but is also an 80 degree conical, so if there is no balcony/elevated sound booth the wider vertical dispersion may not be necessary and the 80 degree horizontal may not be enough. Some computer aided modeling would reveal much about your options.  The EAW Grey Box processing does a decent job for the QX3xx, but I have found that additional equalization is needed to achieve the final result that is preferred, but the EAW processor allows for this on the input side. 

In the case of the theatre that Christian is referring to (assuming it is the WFSHS theatre) the original specs were for another manufacturer that had a 90x40 coverage pattern (not EAW).  In reviewing the EASE model there was little to no coverage to the sound balcony.  Substituting to the EAW allowed coverage to the sound balcony without the need for additional fills and a "value engineering" substitution was made.  Budget and functionality trumped ideal design, as is often the case. 

In summary the QX3xx series is another good tool in the toolbox that may/may not fit your needs and/or budget but I have had a pleasant experience with them.  For reference I also work with EV, RH, Community, Fulcrum and others.  Each having speakers that are well suited to a variety of applications and each with speakers that are not well suited to certain applications.   
Dallas Anderson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.