ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass amp question for players or even backline vendors  (Read 5858 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Bass amp question for players or even backline vendors
« on: August 17, 2017, 10:04:41 AM »

I've just bought a bass after a thirty year hiatus from playing that instrument.  Last bass amp I had was an Ampeg B15 from the late 60s.  I need a bass amp probably about the same size as that for basement jams ( after I get some playing skill again ).  Are Ampeg amps from the last 15-20 years or so still good amps?  I've been eyeing the Ampeg 100R amp as being about the right size and selling used in the $250 range.  Any suggestions from those in the know?

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA
Re: Bass amp question for players or even backline vendors
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:43:57 PM »

I have an svt 3pro that is rock solid after 9 years. FWIW.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
Bass amp question for players or even backline vendors
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »

I have a 90s made in the USA SVT3pro as well. Great amp. But looks like OP is interested in a combo. I don't know much about the newer ampeg combos but I do have a BA115 that is going on nearly 20 years that has been reliable and sounds pretty good. I do prefer the head through some Aggie cabs though.

I know some players who are pretty happy w their Fender Rumble combos and they are pretty lightweight as well, in case that matters.

If I were in the market for a combo right now and you put a gun to my head to make a choice, I'd probably go with a GK neo 2x12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »

I've just bought a bass after a thirty year hiatus from playing that instrument.  Last bass amp I had was an Ampeg B15 from the late 60s.  I need a bass amp probably about the same size as that for basement jams ( after I get some playing skill again ).  Are Ampeg amps from the last 15-20 years or so still good amps?  I've been eyeing the Ampeg 100R amp as being about the right size and selling used in the $250 range.  Any suggestions from those in the know?

While the Ampeg is a fine amp, there are lighter products now if that makes a difference. I'm looking into the new TC Electronics offerings..

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 03:20:02 PM »

The mark bass amps have plenty of power and
are much lighter combos/cabinets than the old style back breakers.
   Worth the extra cash and back savings with the chiropractor.        buy once cry once.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »

Thanks for the TC suggestion, I was unaware of those.  Very appealing at eight pounds.  Might have to recone one of the spare D140 frames I have in the shop as a D130 and put it in a box.  That helped make my old B15 shine back in the day.

While the Ampeg is a fine amp, there are lighter products now if that makes a difference. I'm looking into the new TC Electronics offerings..

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 06:06:45 PM »

If you are interested in micro heads, you can get a used Mesa Subway d800 for pretty cheap these days.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 07:41:23 PM »

I am by no means an accomplished bass player, but here's what I made to set a PF-500 on top of an Sb122.  I shunted the internal low-pass coil in the Sb.  I'm not a 'plang'-er, so the natural rolloff is fine with me. 

An Eminence BASSLITE S2012 (~$100) would fit perfectly, and give you all the freq's you could want.  The rubber feet fit in the top pockets of the Sb.  Yes, a 2-high Sb stack rocks; but.. I'm just foolin' around.   ;D

-Dennis
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:55:06 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 07:52:40 PM »

Thanks for the TC suggestion, I was unaware of those.  Very appealing at eight pounds.  Might have to recone one of the spare D140 frames I have in the shop as a D130 and put it in a box.  That helped make my old B15 shine back in the day.

I've actually heard others use the TC and it's quite a piece of kit. Well worth price of admission..

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 07:58:20 PM »

Here's the bottom of the plate.  Yes, I did ultimately paint it flat black.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:05:55 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 08:21:38 PM »

Riley - our bass player had the B50r, the smaller version of the 100r. For practicing and small shows, it was fine, so I would think the 100r would be better.

I currently bought a used 2x10 Ampeg cabinet on CL for $150, and have been letting our bass player use that with my Fender Showman amp head. Sounds great. Other used finds would be a Gallien Krueger 400RB - it's solid state, but they're indestructible.

The Ampeg B2R and B2RE would also be worth looking at used - less pricey than things with an SVT label.

Avoid their SVT Micro - it's OK for practicing if you don't have a drummer...

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »

Go to Bass Player Magazine's web site
amps
Lots of reviews on current stuff
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 10:39:29 PM »

Lot's and lots of small Class D heads with plenty of power, GK, Mark Bass, Ampeg, Aguliar etc.  And lots of lightweight neo speakers.  Oddly, 12's have become very popular.  Bergantino, Aguliar, AccuGroove at the high end, Mark Bass, GK and many others.  I have a Euphonic Audio single 12 that works amazingly in bar gigs and weighs next to nothing.  Awhile back I tech'd a show where the bass player had these GK 2-12 cabs that felt like there was nothing in them, but had way more power than necessary for that gig.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 11:39:06 PM »

Chris loves the TC stuff - he doesn't usually use backline so he has a TC BH550 that goes direct. He beams FX through the pickup - check out tone print.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 06:37:59 AM »

Hey

Another recommendation for Mark Bass, I've had quite a few come through the venue I house tech at, and saw a few on various freelance and festival work.

They sound great, and with PA systems these days usually having decent subs are usually more than enough for the gig and for the musician to monitor themselves. And they are stupidly light and compact for what they do. So much so that, with the separate head and cab systems, the some of the cab sections feels like there's been some mistake and you're picking up some sort of empty box!  ;D

k

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 05:16:36 PM »

Riley - our bass player had the B50r, the smaller version of the 100r. For practicing and small shows, it was fine, so I would think the 100r would be better.

I currently bought a used 2x10 Ampeg cabinet on CL for $150, and have been letting our bass player use that with my Fender Showman amp head. Sounds great. Other used finds would be a Gallien Krueger 400RB - it's solid state, but they're indestructible.

The Ampeg B2R and B2RE would also be worth looking at used - less pricey than things with an SVT label.

Avoid their SVT Micro - it's OK for practicing if you don't have a drummer...

2x10" with that Showman head. You've got large brass ones Ned.

Riley,

Go down to your local GC and plug in to some of the new model Fender bass amps. They've really come around in that department and I have been hearing, and literally hearing, very good things about and from the entire line.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 10:18:47 PM »

The Mark Bass 102p combo is really hard to beat for output/price/size/weight.
I can get modern and classic sounds out of it. I play bass and own a Backline company, so it's also nice to buy toys that pop up on riders too, which the Mark bass has for me.

Scott Gentry

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 10:19:28 PM »

Have a jam buddy that owns the 2 X 10 Mark Bass combo, I was surprised how much output it had, worth a look for sure if you're trying to get something portable and yet still capable of good sound and output.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 12:06:46 AM »

2x10" with that Showman head. You've got large brass ones Ned.

Bob - that Showman head sounds amazing with a 2x12 cab on guitar, and in a pinch for bass, it's insanely good. then again, that amp could power a 4x10 without skipping a beat...

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 04:37:46 AM »

I know a guy who uses a Showman head with a 2-12 Bergantino.  Traditional blues player who's worked with Musslewhite and others.  Flatwounds and lots of thump.  Modern neo speakers have no problem.  Not so sure about the stamped frame EMIs in an older Ampeg cab.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 05:36:13 PM »

I know a guy who uses a Showman head with a 2-12 Bergantino.  Traditional blues player who's worked with Musslewhite and others.  Flatwounds and lots of thump.  Modern neo speakers have no problem.  Not so sure about the stamped frame EMIs in an older Ampeg cab.

I have a 2 x 10 Bergantino cab.  Best sounding bass cab I've ever played.  Not stupid loud, but man it sounds good.  Run it with a Ampeg SVP into a PLX1804. 

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »

There is a svt3 pro rig for sale n southern MD.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.