ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX 835 / 828 usage update - what I've learned  (Read 16135 times)

Rusty Stevens

Re: SRX 835 / 828 usage update - what I've learned
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 11:41:35 PM »

Both cabinets have the same amplifier, and the 835's have an easier job to do. I only run out of sub in the 2x2 configuration with louder music (hard rock, metal, pop/dance) with a lot of low end content. At that it is only when the 835's are getting close to the limiters. There is a certain "kick in the chest" that starts to feel a little flat when the top boxes have more to give. For quieter music... it's a non issue and the cabinets balance well. I would not pair 835's with less than 2x18 per side ever. (almost better off running the 835's full range or get smaller top boxes at that point).

Rusty, thank you for the review, I'm glad you are happy with the results you're getting from your rig.

If I may, you said the 2-835's will outrun 2-828's. I was curious to know, in your opinion, do the 835's put out that much, or the 828's not quite enough to keep up, or a little of both. On the surface I would have thought the 2-828's, giving 4 18's would be enough to stay with the mains. Thank you again for the review!

Scott Gentry

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 09:55:18 PM »

[quote author=Rusty Stevens link=topic=164536.msg1516104#msg1516104 date=1503027695
I would not pair 835's with less than 2x18 per side ever. (almost better off running the 835's full range or get smaller top boxes at that point).
[/quote]

I concur, I had a pair of 835's, took me a little to get them to my liking eq wise but that's my fault and not the box's. Once I got them dialed I thought they sounded really good. When I tried them they were over 2 PRX718's, and by the time I got to about 90db, 30 feet out the subs were getting left behind noticeably. Obviously that's not the best match for that top, but I don't think one 818 per side would have closed the gap enough.

Just curious, have you had the opportunity to compare two 818's to one 828?? I haven't, but have wondered about that comparison, just for knowledge sake if nothing else. Thanks again!

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »

Just curious, have you had the opportunity to compare two 818's to one 828?? I haven't, but have wondered about that comparison, just for knowledge sake if nothing else. Thanks again!

There was some discussion on this site about 2 SRX818's vs. 1 SRX828, but my searches are not finding it right now.

If I recall, one guy did say that he could hear a marked difference in favor of the 828. Though, I wouldn't know why. I would assume that an 818 is just an 828 cut in half. (?)
Member since 2005.

Matt Martin

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »

There was some discussion on this site about 2 SRX818's vs. 1 SRX828, but my searches are not finding it right now.

If I recall, one guy did say that he could hear a marked difference in favor of the 828. Though, I wouldn't know why. I would assume that an 818 is just an 828 cut in half. (?)

Also, the 818 has pole mounts, if that's your thing. I wouldn't think sound wise there should be much of a difference. 828 is bulkier and a little harder to maneuver around at some gigs, but the 818 means more wiring for basically the same results.
Matt Martin
Southern Missouri Sound

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 10:55:30 PM »

I expect 818 v 828 difference is not so much what you get in terms of output, but other considerations, epically if you weigh up one 828 against 2 818's.

For example,  Pole mount, single point of failure, transport, cost, visual impact, multiple locations (small rig a/b etc), array/steering options (power alley) and available power.

I got 2x818 and have no regrets for my needs, but I think if you are talking 2-4 18's per side like op, it's a different league and single 18s might not come into play, at least for FOH.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 02:17:06 AM »

The lobe covers the entire 20x20 stage pretty evenly. Not badly enough to cause kick feedback or wash out the other mics. I also high pass most everything that doesn't need the lower freq content so even if the mic is picking it up the extra content is ignored in the output.
Looking at this from the musicians standpoint, backwash from centered subs often makes for bloated bass sound on stage.  Which wrecks articulation on the bass and kick and makes finding a groove more difficult.  I know one bass player who in this one venue with centered subs under the stage won't start playing until the sound person takes the bass out of them.  The other thing a ton of bass bloat does is make other folks feel the need to turn up.  Maybe instead of complaining about that overly loud guitar player, try standing in their shoes and seeing what the balance sounds like to them.
I've been working with RayEnd and placement of my four 1-18s in common venues I work to try and minimize the stage levels.  I give up something in perfectly even coverage, but when the singer can hear themselves, the bass and drums can lock in, and the guitar player doesn't feel swamped, the better overall performance is worth the small sacrifice in ultimate audio.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 04:36:02 AM »

I expect 818 v 828 difference is not so much what you get in terms of output, but other considerations, epically if you weigh up one 828 against 2 818's.

For example,  Pole mount, single point of failure, transport, cost, visual impact, multiple locations (small rig a/b etc), array/steering options (power alley) and available power...

One must question whether those things are worth spending $2000 more.

US MAP pricing...
4x SRX818P = $6396
2x SRX828P = $3998

I know that I can get them cheaper, but the price gap is still there. Us "Lab Lounge" guys don't have as much budget to throw around.
Member since 2005.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 07:27:50 AM »

One must question whether those things are worth spending $2000 more.

US MAP pricing...
4x SRX818P = $6396
2x SRX828P = $3998

I know that I can get them cheaper, but the price gap is still there. Us "Lab Lounge" guys don't have as much budget to throw around.
Yep, for sure, the price gap is a hard pill to swallow.
For me, not having my foh on speaker stands was a big upgrade in the appearance of my system (matters to some), and maybe the overall safety too without tripod legs sticking out anymore.

If I wanted more low end, I'd go to existing 2x818s and 1x 828 - $1000 more on your map example.
I think Debbie has done something similar.
(Not that I could transport more subs Currently)

Oh and 2 828's here in Aus is more like 6500...

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »

The 818 is slightly bigger than half an 828, by more than just the thickness of the extra cabinet wall required. That means it theoretically may drop an Hz or 2 lower as is actually acknowledged on the specsheets for the passive versions. If that difference is matched in the active versions, then it may be possible that the marginally reduced LF extension of the 828 could be perceived as being punchier/louder perhaps.

Like you, I can't find a direct 818 vs 828 comparison in the archives with my (apparently weaker than I thought) google-fu - perhaps it was Mike Santarelli's comparison of the KW181 with the 828 you were remembering?

FWIW,
David.

EDIT PS: something in the back of my mind suggests Debbie Dunkley may have both the single and dual versions - maybe PM her to check?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:07:00 AM by David Morison »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 10:11:35 AM »

Yep, for sure, the price gap is a hard pill to swallow.
For me, not having my foh on speaker stands was a big upgrade in the appearance of my system (matters to some), and maybe the overall safety too without tripod legs sticking out anymore.

If I wanted more low end, I'd go to existing 2x818s and 1x 828 - $1000 more on your map example.
I think Debbie has done something similar.
(Not that I could transport more subs Currently)

Oh and 2 828's here in Aus is more like 6500...

Yes - that is what I have Callan and I LOVE the flexibility it gives me.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 10:11:35 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.